Author Topic: Please Sign a Petition to remove Ken Humphries from Expert.Advice.com  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
On MSN's The Great Dane Room, there was a thread started about advice that has  been given out from an "expert" on Great Danes.

I am not going to send the whole thread over there, but here is the kind of advice that this "expert" is giving.  (here's a link to the entire thread):
http://groups.msn.com/THEGREATDANEROOM/general.msnw?action=get_message&ID_Message=227191&ShowDelete=0&CDir=-2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Expert: Ken Humphries
Date: 1/18/2005
Subject: White Great Dane

Question:
Ken,
We've been to the rescue center for danes and fell in love with a beautiful,white female great dane! She's deaf but not blind. Could she possibly go blind in the future? Is she susceptible to other diseases/problems? One family member is more concerned about how she'll tear up the wood floors and house than her disability! Can you give usany reason why we shouldn't adopt her?

Thanks for the help. Louise

Answer:
A deaf dane should have been euthanaised when still very young. They are severely disable and cannot be let off the lead. They will not come back or stop when commanded and could cause serious accidents and damage. The rescue society should not be trying tore-house. For its own safety it would have to be kept kenneled. Imagine a child stroking it when it is asleep, the shock could make it attack.  DO NOT ADOPT.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Expert: Ken Humphries  (The word EXPERT definately used loosely)
Date: 2/22/2004
Subject: Great Danes and cats

Question:
I am wanting to give a Great Dane a home. I love them. My question is my husband always has cats, and loves them. Will a great Dane be able to live with cats; will they be able to work out their differences.My husband is afraid the Great Dane will kill the cats. Would it be better to get a puppy or an adult if he/she is going to live with a cat.Thank you for your time.

Answer:
Introducing a dane or any dog into a cat household is very difficult. An adult will chase and kill the cat if it runs. An adult or puppy getting too close even in a friendly way risks serious injury to the eyes.

Ken
Expert: Ken Humphries
Date: 1/1/2005
Subject: Great Dane breeding

Question:
I am interested in breeding my AKC female fawn. She is not OFA certified, but is not a bitch that I want to breed to sell in the papers because she is of such great temperament that friends and family are on awaiting list for her pups. I do not know how to select a male.How should I select the color?

She is out of fawn bitch and sire. I would choose a stud with excellent temperament and admirable bloodlines to accentuate my bitch, but would like to know any helpful tips you could give me.

Thanks in advance
Lucia

Answer:
Select a fawn or brindle dog.

Visit shows and see what is available and chack the temerament.

Ignore bloodlines as they only apply to breeders who want to show and understand the genetics of breeding.  Most of the fawns will be related somewhere in their background.

Ken

Then a person from another message board wrote to him with some very sound questions:

Re: Deaf Danes

Question:
I've noticed that every question re: deaf danes has been met with the same exact generic answer. I am just curious, as the "expert",why you are not willing to open your mind a little and say, "You know ,I've been enlightened on the subject recently and it seems deaf danes (deaf dogs in general) recieve a bad rap and certainly should be given as much chance as the next dog"

And this comment: "For your information I have not set myself up as an expert,I just try to help new owners with problems. Temperaments depend mainly on breeding, blood-lines and training not colour. If you knew anything about danes you would know that."

You DO claim to be an expert, that's why your on here.And the snide remark at the end, she was not implying that she didn't know about temperament..s he was implying DEAF doesn't mean BAD TEMPERAMENT. Anyone who can read should know that.....

I didn't come on here to bash you, but it's frustrating that people come to you for advice and get lead astray.

And I won't get started on the expert advice you gave on danes and cats...DANES WILL KILL CATS? Tell that to the two cats that cuddle u pwith my dane every night. Or the cats my deaf dane (YES DEAF) saved from the neighbors dog.Or the orphaned kitten my foster dane allowed to nurse on her. Out of 40-50 danes I've had in and out of my home, I had ONE, YES, ONE, that had an issue with cats. Those statistics prove that the dane hardly meets the criteria as a cat killer.

Ken's Answer:
My dogs will kill cats, they will kill anything that runs, unless I rescue them first.

Training a deaf dog takes special skills which a novice will not have. A deaf dog will nover be able to be let run free unless the owner has sufficient land, as I have, which is securely fenced. This is very rare in the UK so most have to be kept on a leash for their own safety.

Since you and the other cranks started this attack I have had many breeds approach me and say that they agreed with the answer I gave so get off my case and find someone else to annoy. I'm far too busy helping train unruly and badly brought up dogs for novice owners without having to deal with crank emails.

So, this person has submitted a Petition to have this expert
removed from Expert.Advice. com

Please join in this petition to have him removed, as he
should not be giving advice out as he has been.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/RemoveKenHumphries

Sincerely,
Barbara Laird
Gentle Giant News
www.gentlegian tnews.com

k2campbell

Even though I don't own a Dane, doesn't take much reading to figure out this guy is a real loser.  I just signed it.

People make me so mad! >:(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 01:06:04 pm by k2campbell »

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I signed it some people are so ignorant...he obviously isn't much of an expert if he can't even socialize his dogs right.  And yes deaf dogs aren't for everyone but he shouldn't say they should be killed for just being deaf.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
I signed...the euthanizing deaf dogs had me right at the beginning...wh ere does he get this expert opinion?! Many disabled dogs need good homes and this guy is not helping any  >:(

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
I signed!  I don't think he should be considered an expert on dogs, much less danes!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I signed..

I wrote a blurb and reposted on 2 forums I use frequently, hope you don't mind.  I want to see the tool gone.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
signed
RIP former BPO

cricket36580

Signed!  And with great pleasure.  He's dangerous!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Jerkface's latest Q and A where he tells the questioner off:
http://leansnslobbers.proboards92.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1148901782

http://experts.about.com/q/Great-Danes-2275/
On about.com he doesn't tell people off though.. so he still looks sugar and spice...

cricket36580

I can't believe he answered every question with the same answer.  What an idiot!  He's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
HAHAHAH

Yeah I know..
But if you look at the whole Q and A in the dane forum, he called us all abunch of cranks...

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Ohh ohh crossposting's doing something.. I recogize a bunch of people off another site, and a whackload signed.. up to 90..

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
I'm signing, for sure!  How could he be so cold and arrogant?!!  He needs to really learn from the experts on this website!!  I have received some of the best advice that anyone can offer from here.
How dare he say "DO NOT ADOPT".  There are so many needy animals that can offer their lifetime of love to people-- all people and dogs have issues (some large, some small) -- should we go around and put down anyone or anything that doesn't meet his criteria!! ??? ??? >:(
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
chack the temerament.

I would think being a dog expert he would atleast know how to spell temperament.