Author Topic: need advice re: cropped ears  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
need advice re: cropped ears
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:15:54 pm »
Howdy folks. As some of you may know I recently picked up a young Great Dane from the pound (Connor). I am not a huge fan of cropped ears on Danes, but this kid has a had a professional crop job. The ears have been standing really beautifully until just the last few days, and they are starting to look like they want to flop down.
Well, the last thing I want is for his ears to end up floppy after everything he has been through up to now to get them to look nice.
But I don't know the first thing about taping ears, except I have heard that some folks use tampons!!!! Can anyone give me some advice on this? I feel like I have seen Danes older than him taped up, so I figure I can do it to Connor. Getting him to hold still will be tricky of course! I never thought I would be in this situation! Does the tape job stay on for long periods? Just during the day? A couple days a week? Anyone? ???

Thanks and please forgive my ignorance!!! ;) :D :D :D

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: need advice re: cropped ears
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 02:35:57 pm »
Awwwww Rebekah, I feel your pain.  Ear taping can be sooooo frustrating at times.  The tampons work well in little puppies, but I think they might get lost in those humungoid ears! lol

There is some info on this page on taping older puppies and dogs using nasal strips and tape.  It doesn't look too hard to do:
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/how_to_tape_ears_text.htm

Good luck with Connor's ears!!!

Thanks for the link... and I need all the luck I can get!!! ;)
Nasal strips, eh? Oh boy! This will be interesting!!! :D

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:09:08 pm »
Rebekah,
If his ears fall, it shouldn't be the end of the world either. :) Oreo apparently had his ears cropped and they fell long before I got him. They have the point, but they creased slightly above the base. It actually gives his face a bit more angular look. He hasn't had any health issues related to it either.

Jason

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:26:29 pm »
I just love looking at everyone's Danes!  They are all so gorgeous. :-*
Have nothing to say about cropped ears because I decided not to crop Bella's, but my veterinarian did say that he has seen some that have had to be taped for a year or longer.  Some will just never stay up, however.
I really just wanted to say that I love looking at everyone's Danes! :D :D
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 07:22:17 pm »
I would highly reccomend getting your vet's opinion. My great dane, Tara, always had her ears taped by the vet just to make sure it was done right. (Plus, my mom works at a vets office so she could bring her to work.) If you want to do them yourself, you could talk to your vet and have them help you with techniques and things to look out for. You can also check out this site...maybe it will help! Good luck, they are all beautiful dogs!

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/ear_tape_instructions.htm
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:51:04 pm »
I would highly reccomend getting your vet's opinion. My great dane, Tara, always had her ears taped by the vet just to make sure it was done right. (Plus, my mom works at a vets office so she could bring her to work.) If you want to do them yourself, you could talk to your vet and have them help you with techniques and things to look out for. You can also check out this site...maybe it will help! Good luck, they are all beautiful dogs!

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/ear_tape_instructions.htm

That's true.  I forgot that when Bella was younger, my vet had also said that if I decided to get her ears cropped that they would tape them weekly.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom