Author Topic: I feel like I made a bad choice today...  (Read 1455 times)

k2campbell

I feel like I made a bad choice today...
« on: June 02, 2006, 07:38:52 pm »
It was so nice out today, during lunch (at work) we went and sat out back in the loading area of our office.  It is a very industrial area, there aren't any trees or water nearby.

So we were sitting there and one of my co-workers said "OMG - look"!  Turned around to see a mama duck with her 10 new chicks waddling behind her (literally new - I'd say just starting to get around) :)  OMG - they were SO cute! ;D  Mama was clearly stressed, wanted to take the chicks somwhere and hide.  Mama and the chicks walked RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET, might I mention a busy, busy street.  I freaked out.  Luckily there was only two cars coming by at the time, and they saw them so stopped...

Across the street she hid in this shed type of structure and seemed to settle down a bit.  I decided to call the wildlife refugee in town to come pick them up and take them to the river.  Although the river wasn't too far from where they actually were, the only way to get there (without flying, and these chicks were no where near flying) would be to cross the freeway - LITERALLY.  They would have all been roadkill within a few seconds...

So, I stayed there to monitor them as I didn't want them taking off out of sight.  Two frickin' hours later, the refugee guys show up.  They weren't too great at wrangling them, they tried so many times (and weren't very careful) and what happened - mama flew away.  I was DEVESTATED.  She had obviously had enough and was scared outta her witts...

So they took the chicks and said they'd take them right to the river.  They said mama should find them there, and if not another mama should take to them.  I felt like throwing up :-X

I know she's only a duck, but I feel like I separated a family (and) if I wouldn't have called, ya - they would've definitely been road kill (which the refugee guys warranted would happen by the way), but at least they would have died together ???

I'm just praying that poor mama flys straight across the freeway to find her babies - gosh I just feel so sick about it.  Hopefully mother nature will pull through :-\
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 07:40:01 pm by k2campbell »

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: I feel like I made a bad choice today...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:51:54 pm »
Oh Kelly....what an awful situation you were faced with today!  Sounds to me like you made the same choice that I would have made - try to help in any way that doesn't involve road kill!  Mama's instincts are pretty fierce ... perhaps she knew her babes were in good hands and she'd see them at the river.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:07:44 pm »
You poor thing.  To have to feel awful about this even though you totally did the right and ONLY thing you could do... Can you go down by the river tomorrow with a good pair of binoculars and do a little spying?  I would love to hear that Mama and babies found eachother...
 ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 11:47:07 pm »
I think you did just fine...if the river is close Mama will find them...& even if you'd tried to herd them to safety Mama would have probably flown off...You did just fine & I am sure Mama is with her ducklings right now! :)

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:01:16 pm »
Thanks guys, you made me feel a bit better about the whole "ordeal" ;) ::)

Can you go down by the river tomorrow with a good pair of binoculars and do a little spying?  I would love to hear that Mama and babies found eachother...
 ;)

Funny enough, we were running some errands today and drove past the river.  Thought we'd stop for a few minutes to check it out, there must have been about 30 mama/baby duck families out there.  I sure hope one of them was the family from yesterday! :-\ :)

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 06:03:35 pm »
Thanks guys, you made me feel a bit better about the whole "ordeal" ;) ::)

Can you go down by the river tomorrow with a good pair of binoculars and do a little spying?  I would love to hear that Mama and babies found eachother...
 ;)

Funny enough, we were running some errands today and drove past the river.  Thought we'd stop for a few minutes to check it out, there must have been about 30 mama/baby duck families out there.  I sure hope one of them was the family from yesterday! :-\ :)
ROFL if there were that many ducks down there, that is their 'place' its like a local pub or something.  I would bet MONEY mama was back down there before her babies got there!