Author Topic: What is the worse excuse....  (Read 7560 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
What is the worse excuse....
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:56:51 am »
you have heard for surrendering a pet?

We've all heard....

moving
new baby
chews things
digs
jumps the fence
barks
not house broken

The list is never ending.  Here is a new one I heard this week....

we're remodeling

WTF does that have to do with why you are abandoning YOUR family member???  I swear I really want to smack some sense into these people.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: What is the worse excuse....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:00:39 am »
I think I would have replied, "and...?"
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:02:51 am »
Well, I volunteer at the HS and used to work at another. So, I've heard it all. I can't really think of any worse than remodeling, though. How about, "I got it as a gift and don't like it"? And people wonder why we won't adopt pets as gifts. I got into an argument with a lady at the HS this week about that, actually...

I'm an adoption counselor at our local HS. This woman came in, and was awesome! She totally bonded with this super scared shy little puppy we've got. It was super impressive and I was totally ready to adopt to her. So, she starts filling out the app (YAAAAAAAAAAY!) and half-way though is like, "Oh, BTW. I'm adopting for my sister who lives in Boston, that's OK, right?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAGH!

NO LADY! IT IS NOT OK!

UGH! I'm going..you know? You just spent all of this time getting this little puppy that is terrified of everything to come out of her kennel and trust you...I would adopt to YOU! But, I haven't even met your sister! UGH!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:26:17 am »
We *WERE* beginning to remodel, and then Jesse came along, and we just put it off for a bit longer.   I too used to work and volunteer a lot of hours at HS and local rescues, and I actually heard from a few that they were getting new furniture, and the hair clashed with their new choices!

Weedsport, NY

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:50:59 am »
The absolute worst I've ever seen was a blind 1/2 deaf 13 yr. old miniture Poodle in the shelter & the sign on his cage said the owners surrendered him because they got new carpet. :'(

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 11:52:23 am »
All these are so sad to hear and really stupid reasons. B/c your renovating...t hats really Lame :P

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 12:09:37 pm »
It's just so frustrating to hear. >:(  People who surrender animals for those reasons are also the very ones who got the animal in the first place for the wrong reason.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:02:36 pm »
Renovating?  What the h*ll does that have to do with it?  I don't even have to renovate.  Badger does all that for us.  He 'changes the color of our carpet', 're-arranges the furniture', and 'adjusts our curtains'...
I HATE PEOPLE
I think anyone who does this should die an instant and painful death.  The humane society should have a trap door in the floor that opens up and morons fall in there, where abandoned mean dogs eat them up for dinner!
 >:( 

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 01:08:24 pm »
I saw a 10 month saint for $50 not too long ago - because he got too big.  Some people just don't think.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 02:16:30 pm »
He has fleas~
When outside he barks at the wildlife around our house and scares them off~

One that really gets me going is...Well he's 10 now and his hunting days are over so I want a younger dog.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 03:21:50 pm »
I've heard of people getting rid of their Pyrs because they won't listen, bark alot, shed enormously, & dig holes....HHHEE EEEEEELLLLLLLL LLLLLLLOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!!!...Here is reason to RESEARCH YOUR BREED BEFORE YOU BUY, ADOPT, RESCUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 03:32:11 pm »
I feel sorry for people who think they can improve their lives by renovating the house -- and getting rid of their pet.  Obviously they haven't ever taken any interest in their pet before and now poor dog has become part of their demolition.

If I was to renovate my house (after 5 months with Einstein), I'd add a doggie door, opening onto 10 acres with a few sheep to chase around, install some kind of really soft, flexible flooring, so when he throws himself down on the floor, I don't have to wince, thinking he's killing his bones!  Six months ago I was contemplating silk drapes, and new comfy chairs for the living room.  Now all I can think about is how to make the floor more comfortable for my sweetheart!
Sarah

cricket36580

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 04:32:23 pm »
I think remodeling really takes the cake.  I believe I would give up my kids before I would give up my dogs.  I know that's horrible but my kids could take care of themselves.... Ok,so it would be a tough decision.  I'm one of those that at one point actually thought I might want furniture that matches, paint on the walls and real floors.  HAHAHAHAHAHA Bella came along and took care of that...then I think that the pups are over that sort of thing so I can do it now...HAHAHAHA  Now I'm breeding Bella in the fall so I'll have more puppies.  I guess someday...

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 05:51:21 pm »
The worst I ever heard was this. I was talking to this woman at the dog park about her adorable bullmastiff puppy.  He was so cute, running all around, tipping over and being normal puppy cute.  I asked her why she chose a mastiff and she said, "we had a five year old bullmastiff, and we wanted a puppy because they are so cute, then once we got the puppy, it was too much work to keep them both, so before they got attached to eachother, we 'rehomed' the older dog"
I kind of stared at her and just walked away shaking my head.  What an evil person. 

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 08:43:37 pm »
OMG!  I think I would have decked her, taken the puppy, told her she did not deserve to even have a dog, and left!

Weedsport, NY