Author Topic: Barkley Came Home Today  (Read 5969 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Barkley Came Home Today
« on: June 02, 2006, 03:12:02 pm »
We received a phone call from the vet clinic last evening telling us that Barkley's ashes had arrived at the clinic.  I went today, two weeks to the day, to bring him home for the last time.

To my surprise, he was in a beautiful ceramic urn.  There was a beautiful little card enclosed, telling us that he will always be remembered. 

And also in the package were two clear baggies.  The vet tech who had loved him so much had gone in after we left and clipped some of his fur.  She had one bag made up for each of the boys.  She had captured the exact mix of black and white that made him so distinctive.  Just even typing about it makes me tear up again.

My husband came home and we opened up one bag and just stroked our baby's fur one last time.  My husband just teared up, saying how much he misses him.

We haven't fully decided what we're going to do with his ashes yet.  We were going to bury him in the back yard, but right now, as he sits here on the dresser in the computer room, I'm kind of thinking I might like to keep him here with us for a while.

The funny thing today was that I had the urn sitting on the front seat with me on the drive home.  I decided to go through the Tim's drivethrough and grab a coffee.  As I turned into the drive through, the urn slid across the seat in the exact same way that he used to thud around the back of the SUV every time I turned into Tim's!  He really is home ... his spirit will always be here (along with some well and highly placed drool flings!), now his remains are here with us too.

Yeah.  I miss him.  The big goof.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Barkley Came Home Today
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:24:36 pm »
I know how you feel, I still feel the same way about Annie and its over 2 years since she left us. There are times even now when something happens out and about or in the home and it reminds me of Annie. They have so little time with us yet steal a huge great chunk of your heart when they go.

Andy Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 03:41:43 pm »
I'm so so sorry... :'(

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:51:57 pm »
Your post made me tear up & smile...I'm glad Barkley is back where he belongs & you are remembering the happy things...You vet sounds wonderful! :)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:32:08 pm »
Oh Barkley..  I feel like this is some of the best closure that you could have.. Just now remembering all the good memories and feeling like he's home
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 04:32:35 pm »
I'm so glad Barkley is finally home, and at rest with you.  My two big Landseers, Otis and Lucille are still in our bedroom...on the book shelf with their collars and a favorite photo of each.  After two years, I still can't stand the thought of them not being in our bedroom with us like they were every night before they became real angels.

Hopefully, you'll feel better now that he's home.  Hugs to all of you!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 06:50:59 pm »
I'm glad Barkley is home now. My sister has three of her dogs up on the Mantle. I have a small pet cemetary in the backyard. It's a good feeling to know they are no longer in suffering and still with you in a way.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 07:02:43 pm »
What a kind & Special thing for your Vet to do. That touches my heart. I am also so glad to hear that Barkley is home.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 07:09:35 pm »
very touching story. That was very considerate of the vet to save the fur. We buried my last dog under his favourite tree.

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 07:15:56 pm »
I'm in tears, the way you wrote that was very touching :'(

That was VERY sweet of your vet to do that for you, it sure does say a lot, as to how much impact Barkley had on your vet... :)

We had Slater cremated and his ashes put into a sealed earn, he sits in our living room with us.  We want him to come wherever we go, should we ever move.  I told the hubby should I ever go before him, I'd want Slater's ashes and mine to be together, spread somewhere...

Slater passed away with us, at home - and I cut some hair from him (black & tan to keep the combination) before we brought him into the clinic to be cremated.  It was hard, because we had to take him ourselves (he passed away on a Sunday).  I'm glad I thought of doing that though ;)

Of course you miss Barkley, it is only normal to miss someone we love (and will always love) so much. :-*  Big ((((((HUGS)))))), Barkley is finally home :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 07:17:45 pm by k2campbell »

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 08:03:10 pm »
I'm glad Barkley is home now ... After my dear Pepper Joe passed away , I would ( and still do almost 2 years later)still hear his bark , hear his little claws tapping on the floor , feel like he caught my eye when on a walk . It's weird  :'(
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »
I don't blame you one bit for keeping him close to you.  I did the same thing with my late mini schnauzer, and Baby is still with me everyday in my bedroom.
Warm wishes to you. :-*
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom