Author Topic: Reminder: Snail/Slug Bait is POISON  (Read 3099 times)

Offline locompmo

• Gnawer
  • Mom, can't I please go in there?!
    • View Profile
Reminder: Snail/Slug Bait is POISON
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:41:10 pm »
Today is the one year anniversary of the death of our big, sweet, silly, beautiful boy, Dartagnon, who died tragically from ingesting snail “bait”.

Our hearts are still broken over the loss of Dart.  There are times I can still feel his presence when I’m out in the yard.  His favorite spot was in front of the grill when we’d barbeque.  We called him the Supervisor, making sure we got our dinner grilled just right ;)   After he died we couldn’t go out in the yard for months.  We couldn’t even use our grill until just recently.  Our newly adopted foster dog and new puppy, Solomon and Jackson, have taken over the Supervising duties, so we are now able to grill again. 

I want to send a reminder to everyone that snail “bait” containing metaldehyde is POISON and is very lethal to our pets.  If you must, please look for safer alternatives (ie: ferric phosphate).  If you would, please help us by warning others so these types of needless tragedies can be prevented.  Dartagnon, we failed you, we love you always, and we miss you so much.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Reminder: Snail/Slug Bait is POISON
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:51:56 pm »
So TRUE, and thank you for reminding everyone!  It's so easy to forget the basics and we need that gentle slap upside the head from time to time.

I'm so sorry about the loss of you beloved Dartagnon.  I completely understand and the good you do reminding us all is honoring his memory.

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:40:52 am »
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My eyes filled with tears while reading your post. Thank you so much for the warning.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:14:21 am »
Locompo, I hope your pain passes with time.  I'm sorry you had such a sad milestone in your life.  I think with reminders like this, there is no excuse for anyone that is on this board to have any other snailbait other than SLUGGO

http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm

It's the least gardeners can do for their Fur Babies.  That's all we use in our garden and it works really well. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:17:02 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:01:05 pm »
Thanks for the reminder.  He obviously still lives in your heart...he was a beautiful boy!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers