Author Topic: Need help again  (Read 13827 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Need help again
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 11:07:54 am »
Newfs are *very* social and people-orientated. They're not a dog that's going to stay in the background...t hey want to be right where you are...usually trying to involve themselves in whatever you're doing. They, for the most part, (there are always exceptions to the rule) want to be with their humans whenever possible, and they love to be loved on, and give love in return.

Yep!  ALL true!  And that's what makes them so great!  Stuffed dog, gold fish, getting special, special dog gifts from all over so that it FEELS like you have a dog  ;): all good options!

Let us know what you decide!  Holly will hopefully out-grow this stage and get more confident.  I know what it's like being needed by kids, needed by dog, needed by husband and having NOOOO personal space to call your own.  A gold fish would be good!!! ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:08:27 am by newflvr »

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 11:40:06 am »
Newfs are *very* social and people-orientated. They're not a dog that's going to stay in the background...t hey want to be right where you are...usually trying to involve themselves in whatever you're doing. They, for the most part, (there are always exceptions to the rule) want to be with their humans whenever possible, and they love to be loved on, and give love in return.

Yep!  ALL true!  And that's what makes them so great!  Stuffed dog, gold fish, getting special, special dog gifts from all over so that it FEELS like you have a dog  ;): all good options!

Let us know what you decide!  Holly will hopefully out-grow this stage and get more confident.  I know what it's like being needed by kids, needed by dog, needed by husband and having NOOOO personal space to call your own.  A gold fish would be good!!! ;D

Is running away from home an option?  I've been wanting to do that for months now.

I should just get a Pyr and let him run hubby out of the house.  He's the troublemaker anyway.  lol  Holly is, if possible, getting MORE clingy as time goes on.  I just think that she isn't getting all that she needs here and I feel bad for her.  I'm overwhelmed trying to take care of her and I'm sure she feels it. There's got to be a dog that is easier to care for than her AND that hubby can handle.  Ssshhhhh!  Don't tell him I said so, but I think he's a little afraid of our big paws.   ;)  I know he was scared of my Rottie in the past. ::)  Fat old lady that could hardly move but never did trust him, or he her.  I swear he seemed to think she would get a sudden burst of puppy energy and come after him when he least expected it.  lol  Funny, but sad.

Oh, and for the dog "gifts", I think I'll pass if you don't mind. ;)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Nicole

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 02:10:50 pm »
Oh wow! I hope that everything goes well with Holly, but in my experience, if one dog is too much, than two dogs are TWICE TOO MUCH!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 02:19:42 pm »
I should just get a Pyr and let him run hubby out of the house.  He's the troublemaker anyway.  lol  Holly is, if possible, getting MORE clingy as time goes on.

I think you are on to something.  I really do think that our furpals pick up on all the stress we are feeling and they do cling tighter to try to 'help'.  I don't Holly is insecure; I think she senses that you are overwhelmed and she probably feels she ought to help. 

Rehoming is one option; marriage counseling is another; therapy for just you so that you can get some help learning to juggle all the stuff you are obviously having to handle alone is a third.  Do you have any time to yourself?  Can you get out for an hour a day BY YOURSELF?  Even taking Holly out for a long ramble could improve things....the exercise helping you to feel better about things....Holl y feeling she had you all to herself for a bit...

Sorry, I'm rambling here, but I have been there.  Too many animals, too many kids, to many 'gentle requests' from dh, too many demands from the rest of the family.  I'm SOOOO glad to be the age I am....wrinkles, fat and all!!! ;)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 02:24:48 pm »
Oh wow! I hope that everything goes well with Holly, but in my experience, if one dog is too much, than two dogs are TWICE TOO MUCH!

I agree!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 02:47:49 pm »

I agree!

Actually, we (I) got Holly to save her from being PTS because she's an absolute sweetheart.  I wasn't planning to keep her but found out how many issues she has and have been trying to fix them so she won't end up on death row again.  I'm having a hard time giving her up because I DO love her but need to do it anyway because I think there are better homes for her type of dog than ours.  The dog I am trying to find would be the one we keep so I'm trying to be extra picky about it.  It's hard on my son to have a dog going in and back out as it is on all of us.  If I thought Holly would be happy here just because I got a second dog, I'd do it, but I'm being honest about what I'm capable of hamdling for her sake.  I'm trying to do what is best for her.  I am considering taking a break after she finds her forever home and getting things here a little more under control as well as an SUV to haul the family around in and then jumping back in with another rescue.  I just have to find the perfect home for Holly before I can bring another dog into the family. ;)

Maybe I'm just not coming across clearly.  I tend to fumble around when I'm trying to explain something.  ???
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 02:49:11 pm »
I should just get a Pyr and let him run hubby out of the house.  He's the troublemaker anyway.  lol  Holly is, if possible, getting MORE clingy as time goes on.

I think you are on to something.  I really do think that our furpals pick up on all the stress we are feeling and they do cling tighter to try to 'help'.  I don't Holly is insecure; I think she senses that you are overwhelmed and she probably feels she ought to help. 

Rehoming is one option; marriage counseling is another; therapy for just you so that you can get some help learning to juggle all the stuff you are obviously having to handle alone is a third.  Do you have any time to yourself?  Can you get out for an hour a day BY YOURSELF?  Even taking Holly out for a long ramble could improve things....the exercise helping you to feel better about things....Holl y feeling she had you all to herself for a bit...

Sorry, I'm rambling here, but I have been there.  Too many animals, too many kids, to many 'gentle requests' from dh, too many demands from the rest of the family.  I'm SOOOO glad to be the age I am....wrinkles, fat and all!!! ;)

Thank you for understanding.  It really means a lot.  I think I'm getting mushy and emotional thinking of her leaving.   :'(

doggylover

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 02:52:13 pm »
I had one before moving here.  Hubby ranks them up there with yappy dogs and dalmations.  He's a total nut (and more than a little hard to please)!
BTW, do you mind saying what happened with the rotty you had before? 

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 02:55:58 pm »
I had one before moving here.  Hubby ranks them up there with yappy dogs and dalmations.  He's a total nut (and more than a little hard to please)!

She died.  She was really old though we don't know exactly how old because we got her from a pound where she and her pups were dumped.  Pups didn't make it.

doggylover

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 02:59:45 pm »

She died.  She was really old though we don't know exactly how old because we got her from a pound where she and her pups were dumped.  Pups didn't make it.
OK, I can't really be of any help, so I'll just exit out this back door over here.....
 ???

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 03:02:55 pm »

Actually, we (I) got Holly to save her from being PTS because she's an absolute sweetheart.  I wasn't planning to keep her but found out how many issues she has and have been trying to fix them so she won't end up on death row again.  I'm having a hard time giving her up because I DO love her but need to do it anyway because I think there are better homes for her type of dog than ours.  The dog I am trying to find would be the one we keep so I'm trying to be extra picky about it.  It's hard on my son to have a dog going in and back out as it is on all of us.  If I thought Holly would be happy here just because I got a second dog, I'd do it, but I'm being honest about what I'm capable of hamdling for her sake.  I'm trying to do what is best for her.  I am considering taking a break after she finds her forever home and getting things here a little more under control as well as an SUV to haul the family around in and then jumping back in with another rescue.  I just have to find the perfect home for Holly before I can bring another dog into the family. ;)

Maybe I'm just not coming across clearly.  I tend to fumble around when I'm trying to explain something.  ???

Ah now I understand, how about contacting a doberman rescue, they'll tell you how to work with her. Who knows better than the breed lovers themselves!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Kiahpyr

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 03:15:42 pm »
Holly sounds like Kitana. She is also a very needy dog. She has to be with me at all times. It drives my hubby insane! She also has some other issues that we are working on. I feel that bringing a dog into any home is a major commiment and one should do everything to make sure the dog stays in it's home. 

I've read that you are thinking of getting a pyr. I'm advising against it! They bark a lot!!! They also get dirty and will dig huge craters! They also have a very strong personality and needs a firm hand.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 03:33:08 pm »
So you are looking at getting a new dog.. but one that needs the attributes of a stuffed animal or pet rock..
While rehoming a dog you've adopted and cared for..

I see this time and again on many forums.  Makes me kinda ill since you'd figure people on a pet forum wouldn't rehome.  But you also find chronic rehomers and hoarders there too.

If you rehome the dobe, I really don't think it's right that you look for another one.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 03:41:48 pm »
I too have to agree with Liz. I also looked back on your posts and saw that you never mentioned getting Holly as a foster, but instead as a new member of your family. Dobermans are clingy/hyper/nosy/playful/loving/protective when NEED BE/aloof/and so much more. It's what I love about dobermans and what has drawn me toward them for life. It's very rare to find a dobie like Maggie who is for the most part quiet(hardly ever hear the dober whine at home). Maggie is still very clingy to me, ask anyone that I've been with with her. Holly needs something done with her maybe Agility or trick training
(IE: spin, nod your head, something of a challenge) or flyball. You don't have to show, all these can be trained in your backyard. Maggie learned Agility in my backyard and so did my min pin, Roxie. Remember to research before you get the breed. Dobermans do need a home with experienced people IMO. She's probably better off in a better home with experienced dobie people or someone that knows of a dog's high drive. I'll help you if you want, I sent you a PM. Be careful with your next dog, it's not always the breed that you can count on, but the dog itself. If your going to get a rescue, I'd suggest another adult but one with a background you can read and the foster parents can explain to you in detail about how the dog's lifestyle and energy level is.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 03:43:08 pm by dober_gurl »

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 05:03:22 pm »
I thought you were keeping Holly too...I don't get it but I'm not going to judge because I am not there to fully understand...R osie was an absolute nightmare...We pulled her from a shelter for Kuvasz rescue...She snarfed at my daughter, ate my recliner, ate into my drywall, & was just spooky...With the help of a behaivoralist, alot of deep breaths & counting to 10, & alot of time & understanding she is the best behaved dog I have...Why not just work on Holly? :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:49:36 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »