Author Topic: Guys, please help me! I'm so scared!  (Read 13512 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Guys, please help me! I'm so scared!
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:16:26 pm »
Okay, guys, I know I probably went against most of your advice. But today, Dolly is at the vet getting her fur shaved off!!!!  :-\ It will be 1/4 of an inch long now! I just am so scared at how she'll look! I don't know what to expect! I wouldn't have done it, except that she gets sooo hot outside and we have a pool for her and shade, but she still just gets too hot. Ohhhh, I'm so nervous! Am I being a bad mom? I've heard over and over that the fur doesn't grow back the same ever again. And the vet said they had no other option on how short to shave it. It could only be 1/4 an inch. I just wanted her to be okay for the summer. I'm so worried! Did I do a bad thing?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Guys, please help me! I'm so scared!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:21:25 pm »
I've heard people say the fur grows back out patchy & I've also heard it grows out just the same...I don't think you're a bad mom at all!...She will be quite comfortable in the summer heat!...Just make sure her exposure to the sun is for small amounts of time so she doesn't get sunburned!...& oh..pics please! ;D

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »
...& oh..pics please! ;D

Oh, you're so terrible! I'll post pictures, only to have you all laugh at them mercilessly! My poor Dolly! Poor me!
Marissa

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 12:31:43 pm »
LOL Dolly!  You poor girl!!

I think she will be just fine - and much happier too!

When I was a kid, the neighbours shaved their saint like a lion!  LOL!  Big ruff around the neck and a tip on the tail.  Sorry, I was only little, I don't remember much except the haircut!  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 12:38:49 pm »
I don't know too much about this. My dogs are indoor dogs, but I know about heat! I live in central Texas and grew up in south Texas. Here's what I do:

1. Sadie and Riley stay indoors most of the time.
2. I am careful about changing temperatures all of a sudden-ie taking them from the air conditioning out into the heat. I try to acclimate them to the heat by letting them meander around in the shade for a while or sit on the porch when we first go outside.
3. I try not to take them out in the heat of the day. I did this even when I only had Sadie... Our summers last from April through October at least, and 100 degree weather just isn't good for any dog.

It sounds like you've got the shade and water thing covered for them when they are outside. As far as her coat, I know a saint at one of the dog parks we go to that is shaved in the summers. I've never seen her with short hair, but I can tell you her hair looks just fine long. So I guess it grows back normally. Maybe it's a little kinkier-like curlier... I know my hair did that when I cut it off really short... LOL

I was told that their coats help keep them cool and that they protect them from sun damage to their skin. I guess those would be the things to be concerned most about, not the return of her hair. I'd just keep a watch on her and make sure she stays cool and doesn't get sunburnt.

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 12:45:04 pm »
I was told that too, that the fur protects them from sunburns, which Saints are very prone to. That's why I wanted to leave an inch on! But the vet said we had no choice. Grrr! Oh, I'm just so sad. She looked so pretty. And to top it all off, this weekend is the Dog Walk in Kansas City, where thousands of people and their dogs will be laughing at her and her dumb mom who let her be shaved!
Marissa

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 03:36:02 pm »
I would use a groomer and not a vet.. If I was told my dog could only come back at X length I'd go elsewhere..

I've been told it's insulation and fir is helpful.  But I shave my cocker down.  I'm not good enough at dematting.

I'd be super careful about burns now though.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 04:32:04 pm »
get a bottle of doggie sun screen, but i have heard the stuff at Petsmart isn't nearly as good as the stuff i use. go to the 3c's web site and look for sunscreen. it works great.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 05:22:05 pm »
Oh, I'm just so sad. She looked so pretty. And to top it all off, this weekend is the Dog Walk in Kansas City, where thousands of people and their dogs will be laughing at her and her dumb mom who let her be shaved!

Just tell them she rolled in gum ;)

I hope she is a much cooler girl..hair always grows back ;)

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 05:50:54 pm »
Thanks guys, for not telling me I made a stupid decision. Mom and I went to go see her this afternoon (they had to sedate her to shave her and she's still woozy, so she has to stay overnight) and she looks actually pretty cute! I will take so many pictures and let all of you see her! Really, she looks soooo much better than I thought she would. I'm relieved. Oh, and I will follow your advice, Jacksmom. I'll let her pee on anyone that laughs at her! Lol!
Marissa

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:12:12 pm »
I can't wait to see her with her Marine Corp buzz!  I'll bet she's absolutely darling.  Just make sure you have plenty of sunscreen on hand (and some aloe vera after sun stuff just in case.)  ;)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

doggylover

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:28:16 pm »
You are not a 'bad mom' that is ridiculous.  If she looks silly, just act, around her, like she is totally normal!  Last year I shaved Badger, it was sort of an accident...but anyway he was bald.  It just made us appreciate his normal furry cuteness all the more! 

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 11:55:41 pm »
The fur should grow back. My mom is a professional groomer and whenever she shaves a dog, the fur ALWAYS grows back the same or even thicker. Don't worry...you didn't do anything bad.
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:58:05 pm »
Hi there.  Don't know if it's too late or not but I went to a groomer and they refused to shave him.  They siad the coat was insulation as well.  They recommend blasting.  It is a reverse vacuum cleaner so to speak and all of the undercoat gets blown off.  He came back with a nice thin coat for the summer.  It was still long and looked good but it's a lot cooler for them.  I agree with now getting the haircut at the vet.  That would probably cost more and don't they put them to sleep for the hair cut?  I tried to get my cat shaved at the vet and they said they would put her to sleep for the cut.  (She was a stray that I found and she was covered in mats when I caught her.)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 04:23:56 pm »
soooo , where's the pictures ?  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"