Author Topic: Itching question-If it ain't fleas...  (Read 2025 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Itching question-If it ain't fleas...
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:49:41 pm »
Riley and Sadie were treated for fleas about a week ago (last weekend). They get regular preventative and didn't actually have fleas when I treated them-it's just their normal monthly maintenance.

Anyway, I took them swimming at a creek on Monday, and since then, they've been a bit itchy. I can't find anything wrong with them, but I think it's mostly right inside their hind legs and around their necks. They don't have any red spots or visible rashes. They aren't itching like crazy, but I've noticed that they have been scatching those particular areas fairly frequently. It's not "normal" for them anyway.

I want to take them to the vet for it, probably today. Sadie's due for her shots anyway, so it's a two-birds kind of thing. I'll ask about it then as it's been a week and hasn't cleared up, but I was wondering if any of you can give me a lead here, something to suggest to the vet if he gives me the "huh?" look.

Thanks!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Itching question-If it ain't fleas...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 01:20:48 pm »
Swimming in that creek and other area creeks and lakes is a pretty regular occurance for them.

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything new in my house. Sadie's been in the shower with me several times since this started, but I use a sensitive skin shampoo, not anti-itch or anything. I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 03:16:34 pm »
Could it be ringworm or something? Or mosquito bites? You know how mostquitoes swarm around water! I hope you get it figured out!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:27:53 pm »
Enviro allergies are really common this year.  I give benadryl to ease the itchiness when it's bad.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 03:39:03 pm »
We had a similar problem with Chester last week at our cabin in Northern Calif.  He was rubbing his face on everything he could reach...trees, the ground, a friendly leg.  I finally dragged him to the vet and she said it was spring time and he has allergies...ha yfever!  He had some oral antihistamines and was fine after a couple of days.  DH also has hay fever...betwee n the two of them sneezing and snoring, Cowboy and I had to sleep in another room!!!