Author Topic: Heavy Breathing  (Read 3093 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Heavy Breathing
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:34:16 am »
Okay, I don't know if this is a "symptom" or if it's just how Einstein is. 

When he's stressed, he pants really heavy.  Like during a thunder storm.  This morning he was stressed (do you think he has figured out that every other Wednesday he goes to the vet for a bath?).  I let him out on the front porch and he was panting as though he'd just run the mile in 60 seconds.  Then he started barking.  Well, if he barks too much while he's out there, I make him come in.  When he came in, he walked around the living room and barked some more.

I don't know -- if only he could talk!  I know he's trying to tell me something, I just can't figure it out.

So, he's at the vet today getting his bath, and I asked for the vet to see him -- just to see if anything's wrong.

And what's the rule about noses?  They should be wet?  I think his looked a little dry this morning.

Nervous Nelly here. 
Sarah

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Breathing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:58:14 am »
Oh -- and here's another thing:

Ran out of Evo on Sunday night.  So Monday I go by the feed store but they're out.  Well I had a sample of some dog food I got from a guy at our doggie playdate.  Gave it Einstein (doctored with some sardines).  He looked at me like "You don't really expect me to eat this crap, do you?"  He ate it.  Acted starving the next morning, so I indulged him again (the EVO is so high protein he only eats 3 cups at night). 

Come home yesterday and Einstein's standing several feet from the door.  And the house reeked.  I go around looking for the source, see some drops of runny poop under my work table (in a room Einstein NEVER goes in).  Clean it up and smell is even stronger.  Then I see, on a drop cloth, the biggest, nastiest pile of runny poop!  He pooped on the drop cloth!  Not on the wool rugs, or on the wood floors, but on the drop cloth!  I just bundled it up and threw it away.

Now I ask you -- is that a smart dog, or what?

Sarah

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:06:16 am »
Poor Einstein. Hope he feel better soon.

I dunno a bout the breathing thing cuz Bear does that too. I think it is more of a way to get my attention though than anything else cuz he seems to do pant hard when he is frustrated, bored or when he wants to lay down outside and I say no. He is just like a kid.  ::) As for the nose thing, his nose is wet and runny when he is hot but usually is about room temperature. Like when he is frozen it is icy cold.

Good luck and keep us updated on him.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:15:16 am »
Rosie pants very hard when she is stressed too...We had a storm last night & she panted like she would die through the whole thing...Pantin g hard is normal in a stressed dog...Pippin also pants & breaths heavy even when he has been doing the same activity as the other dogs & they are breathing normal...My vet said that is how he is comfortable... Not to worry about it...So far as noses go...Sometimes my dogs noses are wet but most of the time they stay dry...I don't think there is a hard & fast rule there...Poor Einstein with his poopies...He sure was a good dog to leave most of the mess where it could be easily cleaned up!...B.t.w., I got a dog breed encylopedia & the pic of the dog of Einsteins breed (sorry can't remember what he is called right now) looks exactly like Einstein!!!...Great looking dogs!...You sure lucked out with him!!! :)

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 09:25:23 am »
Both Cujo and Shamus pant like fiends when they are stressed or mad. Shamus does it anytime he is told no or he can't lay right next to me. He is becoming such a drama queen. He is a little spoiled but is still listening.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:29:56 am »
Thanks ya'll.  I feel much better.  I really believe Einstein has figured out that every other Wednesday he goes to get a bath.  He HATES baths.  He seemed pretty resigned to it, though.  Only balked for a couple of minutes about getting into the car and jumped out pretty quick when we got there (in the past he's dug in and refused).

I guess with the loss of Barkley this week, I'm a little over-reacting. 

And yes, I sure lucked out with him! 
Sarah

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:55:11 am »
Hi Sarah:
Sorry to hear that Einstein had the poopies, but he sure is a smart dog to minimize Mom's clean up!  As for panting, both Barkley and Sheba pant/breath more heavily when they are excited or stressed about something.  With Barkley it was actually a sign of distress but we got to recognize the difference.  I'm with you on the Nervous Nellie side and err on the side of caution, so like you, would have asked the vet too!

I'm guessing the poopies were from the sudden change in food.  How's he doing now?
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 08:02:37 am »
It was a good thing I was over-paranoid -- turned out he had a case of hookworms going.  I remember about a month ago, he was scooting around on his butt, but it didn't last long and I figured it was an anal gland thing.  So, he's all fixed up with de-wormer stuff.

I can't believe how easy it is to train this guy.  Recently I began reinforcing my rule of making him sit before I open the door -- and when I'm really feeling alpha, making him stay there for a minute before I say come.  IT WORKS!!!!  Even when I forget, he'll just sit there till I say okay, come.

I'm going to work on getting him to look at me when I say his name -- I remember seeing a post around here (sorry I forgot who it was) with tips for teaching this.

Sarah