Author Topic: Daughter may not live to see graduation, I swear!  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Daughter may not live to see graduation, I swear!
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:46:43 am »
Cuz I am gonna kill her!!!!  ok, a bit of background, first.  Last year, about a month before prom, she decides she is making her own gown.  Now, this child has NEVER sewn anything in her life.  So now's as good a time as any, right? So she picks out a pattern, material, and sets to work.   NOT a simple dress pattern by any means, it includes many many layers, and boning in the top.   Soooooooo, long story short, MOM finished the dress the day before the prom.    This year, she has a formal senior dinner dance, and it is next Saturday.   Of course she is making her own dress! How could I DARE suggest otherwise???!!!  She got the fabric, and the pattern, and has NOT started yet!!!  "I have time, Mom!"   So, in the last two weeks of school, she has rehearsals and things going on every single day after school to get ready for graduation, which happens on the 23rd.  Bets on who makes the dress?

Weedsport, NY

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: Daughter may not live to see graduation, I swear!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 11:10:54 am »
The tough part is, I cannot just go ahead and work on the dress, as she plans to make it herself, so if, oops, I mean when it is not done in time, then I will be allowed to get it done, and only then.

Weedsport, NY

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:21:29 am »
To my mom, if she ever sees this (and you can pretend this is your daughter speaking to you):  I'm so, so, so sorry for the evilness of my teenage years.  I love you very much and you are the best mom in the world. I don't know how I lived to adulthood because I really shouldn't have. You should have killed me. Thank you for not doing so.  I'm sorry and I really love you."

I'd better print this out and give it to my mom too!  LOL!  I too decided to make my own senior prom gown, though I was quite an accomplished seamstress by that point.  Still, my mom ended up finishing it.  I did finish my own Jr prom dress.  Not sure about the story for the second one.  Anyway, mom saved my life, as she did many times.  You can either try to talk your DD into letting you start now or just plan now to set aside the few days before to prom to do it.  You'll do it because you love her and though it may take a number of years to hear it back, eventually you'll get a note like a few others of our moms are going to get after bringing back these memories.  It is one of the joys of raising kids! ::)  BTW, that is why the dogs are SO MUCH easier.  They never pull these kinds of stunts on us.
Daphne

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:30:41 am »
(mental thoughts)*IF my daughter makes it to teenhood I know that she will be a perfect, model child and I will never have to worry about issues of disobediance, rebellion, or boys*
If I keep repeating this maybe it will come true, or if I lock her in her room for the next 15 yrs it will definitely come true!
I am kind of a big deal!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:31:40 am »
Cuz I am gonna kill her!!!!  ok, a bit of background, first.  Last year, about a month before prom, she decides she is making her own gown.  Now, this child has NEVER sewn anything in her life.  So now's as good a time as any, right? So she picks out a pattern, material, and sets to work.   NOT a simple dress pattern by any means, it includes many many layers, and boning in the top.   Soooooooo, long story short, MOM finished the dress the day before the prom.    This year, she has a formal senior dinner dance, and it is next Saturday.   Of course she is making her own dress! How could I DARE suggest otherwise???!!!  She got the fabric, and the pattern, and has NOT started yet!!!  "I have time, Mom!"   So, in the last two weeks of school, she has rehearsals and things going on every single day after school to get ready for graduation, which happens on the 23rd.  Bets on who makes the dress?
I'm betting on you.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:39:43 am »
He he he, I was terrible myself. I almost didn't get to graduate because I was failing GYM!!! (In other words, I didn't go to gym class....ever) I had to write an 8 page paper on badminton in order to pass the class. My mom could have KILLED me. Good luck to you. ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:41:09 am »
OMg! from reading the subject post i got nervous there!  however, after reading your post! i definately am relieveD!  good luck with sewing! i was NEVER good at it! and still am not! lol! my prayers are with you! ;)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 11:50:59 am »
Sons NEVER want to make their own suits, Thank God!!! However Casey (daughter) is only 12. I am taking notes.
Stella

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 11:52:02 am »
This is what I think I would tell my teen daughter...(I learned to deal with this kind of thing MANY times over because growing up my mom was a HUGE procrastinator and drove me crazy with this kind of thing). 
Sweetheart, it is wonderful that you are making your own dress, however last time, I had to make it the night before, and that is bad for my blood pressure.  So this time, if you don't tell me that you would like me to make it by (insert reasonable date) I will not be open to making/finishing the dress and you will have nothing to wear.  I love you, pass the beans. 
 ;D

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 11:54:00 am »
Have you thought of sabotaging the sewing machine so she has to run out and buy a dress?  It's an idea.  A mean one but still an idea.

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:09:49 pm »
Have you thought of sabotaging the sewing machine so she has to run out and buy a dress?  It's an idea.  A mean one but still an idea.
ROFLMAO that's a great plan!  Stick dog drool in the engine!  She would totally believe that was believable!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 01:57:17 pm »
Say to her as my grandma always said to my mom and now to me; "I hope you have a daughter someday who is just like you." That might scare her a bit. Heheh.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 01:57:48 pm »
Say to her as my grandma always said to my mom and now to me; "I hope you have a daughter someday who is just like you." That might scare her a bit. Heheh.
OH GOD!  How many times did my mother tell ME that?  I lost count.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 02:34:20 pm »
My cousin Wendy had to wear an old hand-me-down dress of mine when she didn't finish sewing her prom dress.  Her mom refused to even touch it (Wendy had also been all, "I have time, don't bug me!" about it) and my mother wouldn't let my sister work on it either.

But the mothers in my family are mean.  ;D

How mean a mother are you prepared to be?  If I were you, I'd tell her, "You know, sweetie, I'm not going to be able to finish this for you if you don't get it done in time.  You'll have to wear the one I did for you last year."   

But can you be that mean?? 8)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 03:17:42 pm »
Sorry...My live & learn alarm just went off!...My daughter would either finish the dress she started...Wear something off of the rack or stay home pouting & think of me as an even eviler witch than she already thinks I am...There is no way I'd make that dress...I think that doing what you set out to do, not biting off more than you can chew, & dealing with the fallout yourself when you do is a valuable life lesson...Good luck! :)