Author Topic: Connor's vet visit and beyond... (the foster dilemma)  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Connor's vet visit and beyond... (the foster dilemma)
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:10:16 pm »
(This is long-winded so get ready.)
So last night was terrible for me and Connor- he suddenly came down with horrible diarrhea and had to have an explosion every 30 minutes or so, sometimes with no warning at all. I slept in 15 minute intervals downstairs with him... and I'm not sure if he slept a bit. :(
So first thing this morning I took him to the vet. And the diagnosis is that Connor has a stress disorder. :-[ Doc said the cherry eye might be causing him extra stress so we opted to go ahead and do that surgery today. He is a sad looking case now, but happy to be back home.(Fortunately for him, he only required surgery in one eye, his left eye had cleared up by itself over the past few weeks, but the right one had gotten worse.) Also came to find out the cherry eye issues are caused by a malformation of his third eyelids, so he might have eye problems his whole life. And those problems are made worse by stress, and he is extra prone to stress!!! :'( It's like a vicious cycle!

Here is what came of this whole thing- Will is pretty worried about keeping him. We did take him in as a "foster" but since I know myself I haven't thought about that part much. I just figured he'd stay with us, or something. ::) Cause he is such a sweetie. But our household is pretty chaotic, maybe it's all the puppy energy, maybe it will settle down, I don't know. Anyhow I am worried about Connor and his anxiety. He is really really needy, more so than the others but I guess pretty normal for a Dane. He is the kind of dog who you hear about breaking through a window to get to their owner. He has that in him, I can tell. :-\ And he has bonded to me bigtime; me... and not much with Will as it turns out.

So I have a dilemma on my hands. Do I keep him and just help him through it all? Do I find a nice new cozy home for him where there are less dogs and a more easy-going environment? What is the most fair thing for him? Put him up for adoption? or keep him with me, a person who he clearly trusts?  ???
I am so confused for him right now. He is such a sweet, unruly, innocent, no-manners baby boy, and I love him.

Advice? I can't seem to think straight, you know, emotions getting in the way. :-[
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 08:07:16 pm by doghealer »

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Connor's vet visit and beyond... (the foster dilemma)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 09:01:57 pm »
Wow!!  :o He is beautiful!!  I wish I could be more helpful and I hope you find a solution that is best fot you and Connor.  I just wanted to comment on how pretty he is, hope you feel better Connor! :-*
I am kind of a big deal!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:55:10 pm »
He is so gorgeous I can see why you'd have trouble letting him go but with all the normal doggy chaos in your house & if his problem is stressed related it might be best for him...With any luck at all he will acclimate to the zaniness there & get better while you are trying to find him a good place :)...Man I wish I could have him but he'd probably drop over dead here almost immedialty...L ike your place, my home is no place for the faint hearted...lol!

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:03:36 pm »
He is so gorgeous I can see why you'd have trouble letting him go but with all the normal doggy chaos in your house & if his problem is stressed related it might be best for him...With any luck at all he will acclimate to the zaniness there & get better while you are trying to find him a good place :)...Man I wish I could have him but he'd probably drop over dead here almost immedialty...L ike your place, my home is no place for the faint hearted...lol!
Your house sounds more like my house all the time!
I feel really bad for Connor, but it sounds to me like a quieter household might be better for him.  This is why I haven't considered doing fosters, there is just no way I could part with any of the, however maybe that would be in his best interest now, before he gets more bonded. 
Gosh I don't envy your position.  This is really hard.  He is sure a gorgeous dog.  I love his color and he is really cute.  I bet it would be pretty easy to find a good place for him, heck you could be pretty choosy and find something he would love! 
Good luck with whatever you decide. 
 :)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 10:05:35 pm »
*sigh*.
He is a great kid.

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:07:43 pm »
*sigh*.
He is a great kid.
LOL how CUTE!  He looks like a bird in this pic...his ears ready for take off.  He is adorable. 

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 10:26:47 pm »
*sigh*.
He is a great kid.
I don't envy your position.  Well, I would love having all of the animals, but having to decide whether to part with one would be too difficult. :'(
I think that you'll know in your heart pretty soon what you should do.  Who knows, maybe Connor will begin adjusting better than you think.  But then again, if the stress continues, you'll know what you need to do.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:02:45 pm »
I can see the sweetness in his eyes. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know it's very hard. I'm hear if you need a shoulder.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 05:40:47 pm »
I would say that he could come and live with me, but he'd likely freak out at the mere sight of Dazy. lol  Poor guy.  I don't envy you one bit right now.  Decisions like this would tear my heart in two!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 06:45:12 pm »
Well I thought sleeping on it would help me but I haven't really come to any conclusions. :-\ As soon as I start thinking about saying goodbye to him my mind flips out and changes the subject!

Meanwhile, his diarrhea cleared up completely! Last night I slept downstairs with him again... which I think he REALLY likes... and he has been a much calmer boy all day today! I'm just glad he's feeling better. We'll get through this, and I believe I will know for sure in my heart what to do, and it will work out for both of us. All of us! ;D
(BTW his eye looks great today! He's recovered so well from the surgery!)

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 07:38:52 pm »
I'm so glad he's doing better today!  I know you'll figure out what to do soon.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 08:06:06 pm »
I'm glad to hear that Conner is doing well.  I know you will make the right decision for Conner. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Blair

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 11:24:27 pm »
You are a wonderful person and have a huge heart, but it seems like Conner would do better in a home as an only dog. I know you say he is bonded with you, but he is still young and if when the right home is found for him, he can bond with his new owners. I can imagine how much you love him, but by finding him a new forever home, opens up a door so you can help another homeless dog  :)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 11:42:05 pm »
I hope I haven't given the impression that Connor is uncomfortable with or doesn't like other dogs! He LOVES other dogs. I actually don't think I would place him in a home where there weren't any other dogs unless the owner worked at home and could be with him all the time. He doesn't like to be alone!!!

He has had a really good day today, I am proud of him. :)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 12:21:19 am »

He has had a really good day today, I am proud of him. :)
& maybe he will have a good day tomorrow & the next day, & the day after that & so on & so forth & then you can be proud of him & keep him!...That is my dream for you. :-*