Author Topic: Does This Sound Odd To You All?  (Read 7867 times)

Lyn

Re: Does This Sound Odd To You All?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 10:43:28 am »
NP, I figured you didn't see the email.. She is cute though. She looks so much different from the side with the mask. I wouldn't even have known that was the same girl at first glance.

She sent me another email.. she said they could take her back where they got her from. But they want to use her in their breeding program and she doesn't want that. So it sounds like she came from a byb. I really hope it wasn't a puppy mill. Ack!

I'll mention driving up to them.. I would really like to meet her before we make a final decision.

Hubby won't be home for another 6-7 hours though.  :(

Lyn

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 10:53:15 am »
Wait!! Wait, Wait a minute! I just noticed something in the pics she sent me. Liz I think you are right..

Look at this pic... does that not look like a big ol Saint foot beside her... If they can't afford her.. I'm so confused now.. Her name is Gypsy.. and there email has 2 dog names in it... one being Gypsy.. I didn't think much of it until I saw the other paw.

I knew something wasn't right because they want to drop her off to me sight unseen.. ??? Ok maybe I'm just over reacting. ???

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 10:57:25 am »
Wait!! Wait, Wait a minute! I just noticed something in the pics she sent me. Liz I think you are right..

Look at this pic... does that not look like a big ol Saint foot beside her... If they can't afford her.. I'm so confused now.. Her name is Gypsy.. and there email has 2 dog names in it... one being Gypsy.. I didn't think much of it until I saw the other paw.

I knew something wasn't right because they want to drop her off to me sight unseen.. ??? Ok maybe I'm just over reacting. ???
The plot thickens!...That certainly does look like some kind of big ol' paw next to her!...E-mail them back & ask what is going to become of their other dog...Let me know soon...I can't wait! :-\ B.t.w., She is a good lookin' gal! :)

Lyn

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 11:00:30 am »
Opps I meant her email address contains the names gypsy and moose. 2 of the pics seem cropped.. but they couldn't crop out the foot without cropping her out.

Like this pic.. definitely cropped..

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 11:03:07 am »
Opps I meant her email address contains the names gypsy and moose. 2 of the pics seem cropped.. but they couldn't crop out the foot without cropping her out.

But my gawd is she cute!!!!!!!!! I am dying here!...It does all seem very suspicious but all I can do is look at her & plot how to get her myself! :D :D :D j/k ;)

Lyn

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 11:11:19 am »
LOL And her name is Gypsy too.. how fitting. I'm emailing her now. I'm just trying to think of how to ask if they have another dog without sounding like I'm accusing her.

Liz, I do have a couple older pictures. The first one I posted because I liked that one. The older pics I have don't really show her face that well. They are side views.

But my gawd is she cute!!!!!!!!! I am dying here!...It does all seem very suspicious but all I can do is look at her & plot how to get her myself! :D :D :D j/k ;)

Yaz

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 11:36:10 am »
Lyn, perhaps you can ask them where they got her from, so that you can check out her parents, if possible. I don't mean to black hat this, but medical bills for a Saint with congenital problems can be VERY pricey. We spent over $4k on poor Guinness, our first Saint who had the eye problem and that wiped us out for quite a while. I would want to have her vet checked by my own vet as well as see her parents, before I committed to her.

Lyn

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 11:43:34 am »
Yeah I remember what you went through with Guinness. Major illness/problems are definitely on my mind. They make her out to sound so perfect.. She must have some bad habits.. although most dogs are perfect in the eyes of their owners.

I'm still waiting on her reply to my question about having another dog.

It bothers me that they seem to want to get rid of her quick.. I'll find out what I can.. and give hubby the last word.

Yaz

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 11:50:11 am »
Good luck with your decision - it seems like Bubba is going to be a big brother before the week is over :D.

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 11:55:44 am »
I'd also recommend seeing if you could see the environment the dogs lives in.  We've looked at adopting from the petfinder classifieds and some ads on there are fishy.  We were interested in a newfie in Ohio.  I sent several emails with many questions.  The only response I received from the lady was that she was off from work over the weekend.  Driving 12 hours round trip without any answers to my questions...I don't think so.  Thought disappointed, it hit me that we probably shouldn't adopt from her.

As for cost, families shouldn't try to recoup the cost of the pet.  The fee they ask should be to try to ensure they are adopting to a good family.  You would be giving them a loving home.  As others mentioned, I would also figure the cost of getting her fixed her into the negotiations.  If they are worried about Gipsy not getting fixed, I know some people return a portion of the fee after they receive proof it was done.

doggylover

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 12:54:21 pm »
I smell something fishy and I'm almost certain the smell isn't coming from my dog. 
I think you are doing all the right things.  We got Badger without having enough information and soon, when he has his next surgery, we will be at around 7000.00
Once you have a dog with problems you have no choice but to do what you can to fix them, and that can be financially and emotionally devistating. 
I agree that  you need to find out about the owner of that other paw.
 :D

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 01:07:50 pm »
Rescue fees for Saint Bernards within the Saint Bernard Rescue Foundation Inc. have adoption fees varying from $150 to $350. Usually the younger pups are the more expensive ones. I agree with everyone else, you do have to watch out for the health problems with a rescue, but I have absolutley NO regrets over adopting Hutch, I couldn't imagine life without him. Rescue is one of those gamble things, and there is no reward greater than getting all of that unconditional love in return! If you are overly worried about her health, and she is close enough to you, you could always do a vet check up before you made up your mind.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 02:05:48 pm »
Our adoption fee with rescue was $350.  Max (at 5 months old) came fixed, current on all shots, and micro-chipped.  I agree with Saintgirl, with any rescue adoption (private or through a rescue organization or shelter) you do run the risk of health problems coming up with no health guarantee.  I know the rescue we adopted from is run by someone who works as a vet tech.  She is knowledgeable on saints and lets potential adoptee know what special medical needs the dog has that she is aware of.  However, not everything can be checked.  Health issues can come up and the risk will always be there.  We, though, wouldn’t have done it any other way.  Max has also brought so much joy to our lives.  And I still look at petfinder every day looking to adopt again through a rescue, shelter, or private party.

If your gut is telling you something is not quite right, doesn’t hurt to keep digging.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 02:53:15 pm »
I would get as much information as possible. There could be more than just a byb issue going on here. Do you know these people very well at all before you go to their house or they come to yours? Be sure you have your husband with you when you go. I'm just thinking of countless horror stories where soemone over the internet said, "I have the dog here, you can come get it tomorrow," and it ends being a dangerous situation, such as there is no dog and now that person is far away from people they know with a stranger. Just be careful, no matter what! The Saint does look well cared for and I think it sounds like you are right; the owner does care about her and where she goes. I pray that God gives you wisdom no matter what decisions you make.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 06:14:42 pm »
$300 doesn't sound drastic, if it includes them bringing her TO you, as opposed to having to get her. 

I would want to check the kennel out as thoroughly as you can, though. 

I agree there's a pretty good chance it's a byb--but it's also possible that it's not. It's also possible that there's more to it than 'I can take her back', it may be that she's SUPPOSED to take her back, but won't get any kind of refund if she does.  (Isn't it pretty much the rule that responsible breeders want to rehome their own pups?)

You might have a financially pressed family who genuinely love their dog, but also need the money, and think this is a way to address both issues.  My concern is that if the dog's supposed to go back to the breeder if the family can't keep it, you could end up in the middle of a custody mess.
Sheryl, Dogless and sad