Author Topic: Anyone Here GeoCache  (Read 2748 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Anyone Here GeoCache
« on: June 07, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »
One of the reasons I want to get back in shape is so that when we hike I don't feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.  Mack I started GeoCaching a few years ago but don't do it as much as we would like.

If you don't know about GeoCaching check out the following site:  http://www.geocaching.com/

Here are the basics:

You hunt for the "cache" using a GPS using coordinates you get on GeoCaching.com .  There are caches ALL over the world.  Once you found the hidden cache you can log your visit on GeoCaching.com .  There are different types of caches but most with little trinkets in the container.  Anyway, it is the hunt that counts and going places in your our community that you had no idea were there.  Plus you are having fun while you get a little exercise. 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Here GeoCache
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:58:45 pm »
Michael and I geocache also.  We haven't had time to do it alot lately.  But it's great fun and you can take the dogs along.  Usually after a day of geochaching everyone is tired.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:03:40 pm »
Melissa and I have done some Geocaching, but not much lately.  We got a bit frustrated at all of the muggled caches.  We enjoy the woodsy hiking type, and not the urban type at all.
I still have my little bag packed with toys, etc to stuff in the caches we find.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:13:50 am »
Our family enjoys Geocaching.  It is a nice way to take a hike as a family and our kids really enjoy the treasure hunt aspect of it.  We like to take the pups occasionally depending on the location.  Here's a pic of Thor out caching with us last summer (the black eye is from surgery, really): 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:15:13 am by longshadowfarms »
Daphne

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 12:56:33 pm »
We enjoy the woodsy hiking type, and not the urban type at all.

Boy can I relate, I really do not enjoy the urban type.  The nice thing about southern California is there are so many great places to hike.  We also found that many of the caches here required 4x4 so we got a used Jeep.  Those caches are my favorite.

Here are pictures taken from our first hidden cache site.  It happens to be located near one of Mack's communication sites.  We call it Victor Valley View....and boy what a view it has.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 01:05:48 pm »
We like to take the pups occasionally depending on the location. 

We too like to take the pups but most that we do are a little too difficult for them.  That and I always worry about the rattlers.

Here is a picture of Tucker searching for the cache.

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 01:08:41 pm »
I'm sooo glad I noticed this thread.  I'm lazy and sometimes if I read a Subject Title and don't know what it is, I'll pass over it.  This sounds like a ton of fun, and right up our alley. 
Thank you so much!!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 05:40:39 pm »
A friend of mine just did a workshop at the library she works at about geocaching.  She made her husband come in with their GPS and they set up a cache in the library and let everyone find it.  They also got some of the other geocachers in the area to come in and answer some questions.  Everyone liked it.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 07:04:55 pm »
We love to take the dogs geocaching. I know how you feel about the getting in shape though. I pant more than our St. Bernard Harley does. Here's some pics of Harley geocaching. We went with some friend of ours and there kids.

As you can see, Harley is not much for the helping find treasure, but more the relax and take in the view kind of dog.

Stacie