Poll

My dog sleeps...

outside
in the house
in my room
on my bed
in physical contact with me

Author Topic: Where does your dog sleep?  (Read 16250 times)

ann

Re: Where does your dog sleep?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 07:20:07 pm »
dakota will sleep with me for awhile then he sleeps on his feather bed the 2 boxers and the cat sleep with me all night...i love it but boxers do snore and do have the gas problem so some nights are just bad but what does not kill us only makes us stronger refering to boxer farts......

ann

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 08:54:16 am »
The sleeping on the bed puts the dog literally at the same level as you.  To maintain alpha status you, being on two feet, must remain higher than your animal.  Sleeping at the same level makes you equal, creating a battle for alpha. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 08:57:28 am »
Rocco sleeps with me in the bed or on the floor.  He gets up and down probably all night.  I guess it gets hot on the bed.  Maia sleeps in her cage due to the fact that she has potential for alpha issues.  Plus she shreds things and I don't want her to be tempted while I sleep.  She shreded two of Rocco's babies that he sucks on before I gave up on having her sleep with us.  She loves her cage, and runs to it when I start turning off lights.  I think we all sleep better now.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 09:18:04 am »
I have not ever had any issues like I had with Tobey (the one that bit me). Establishing myself as the alpha has never been a problem with any of my other dogs - fosters or my own. No one knew what kind of situation Tobey came from before he was with me. The entire dynamic of our home changed when he came into it. I guess I left a lot of the story of his life with me out. The mistake I made with him - and this is specific to this particular dog - was allowing him to sleep with me. As greek4 said - I allowed him to become my equal by putting myself on the same level as he was. This was originally done to keep my sanity because I wasn't getting any sleep at night!!! It started out fine - then it became an issue of him hogging the bed - I adjusted - then if I would move he would growl at me.... I would get up out of bed and make him get down off of the bed to try to show him I was the boss of this mess..... then it became a problem of instead of just growling when I moved in bed he started growling and giving me a warning snap - this is when I should have realized that things had gone horribly awry - however I was not a very dog savvy owner at that point - and I wonder if I had not ever gone through this episode in my dog owning life if I would even truly understand how the whole alpha dog heirarchy (sp?) can get that out of hand. Thankfully my other dogs totally look to me as their pack leader - they are devoted and we rarely have any problem beyond the occasional counter surfing episode. All I have to do is look at my male sternly and he literally melts to the floor! My poor Tobey had issues that I will never know of - all I know is that I was able to give him a happy life when he was with me. I feel terrible for the mistakes I made and often wonder if I would have done things differently how we would have made out.
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 10:24:28 am »
Finn is on the floor, cause he wouldn't fit in the bed. The girls sleep in the bed during the day but at night only one does. She knows it's our bed and she sleeps in it. She doesn't hog the bed or get upset if we tell her to move cause she's in our way. But in the morning when either me or my husband get up they will all climb on the bed to cuddle with whoever is still sleeping...it's sweet to wake up to!

Vicki

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 10:34:23 am »
My boys would *love* to sleep on the bed with us, but as my Hubby is 6 foot tall, and we only have a queen-size, they are limited to "visits" before bedtime. Once we get up for the day however, all bets are off, and we can usually find them drooling on our pillows and trying to bury their toys under the comforter.

Apollo loves to sleep under the bed. It's a good thing we have a custom built sleigh bed, it's high enough off the ground that he can wedge his big furry butt under there with only minimal bumping and lifting! He'll sleep under there all night until it's time to get up and go potty.

Zeus curls up into a ball and sleeps right by my nightstand, or if it's chilly, he'll move to the heater vent and sleep on top of it. *lol*

We have two cats as well, the female, Mysti, will sleep in bed with us until my hubby kicks her on too many times, and then she'll curl up on the window sill. Stitch, our little demon, sleeps in the laundry room. Otherwise, he'd spend the night terrorizing the house.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

GR8DAME

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 11:39:13 am »
Raven sleeps with my son in his waterbed, Merlin sleeps on the livingroom couch, and Strider sleeps in his crate. When Strider hits 18 months and I get rid of the cage he is on his own for bedtime...He can sleep anywhere other than in my bed. I have enough trouble sleeping with a hot, snoring, farting husband without letting a dog up there.
Stella

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 11:44:06 am »
When I say "ok come on lets go to bed" sometimes thier already in the bedroom on there beds. Chazzy the old girl gets penned off by my side of the bed (she has had issues with my rugs). Kiya sleeps in her bed on the "girls side" of the bedroom & Apache sleeps on the "boys side" by my husband. One or the other will jump on the bed for hugs, then will get down & go to bed. If, I should say "when" I get up in the middle of the night thier usually in the living room sleeping.
Before bedtime Apache usually makes himself quite comfortable on our bed. If I turn the computer on both Apache & Kiya jump up on the bed.
Carolyn

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 03:35:26 pm »
At bedtime, Zoey likes to climb onto the bed for tummy rubs while we watch tv, but then when we're ready to actually sleep she hops down on the floor. For the rest of the night she alternates between sleeping next to the bed, next to the door, and on her dog bed at the foot of the bed.
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 03:43:41 pm »
My dogs sleep on the bed with me, and Zoot absolutely has to be snuggled right up to me. In the winter he is under the covers and keeps me warm. I wouldn't make it through cold nights without him. Luckily my boyfriend lets his dog sleep in the bed with him too, because that is sure one thing that can ruin an otherwise good relationship between two people! I used to date a guy who wouldn't let my dog sleep in the bed. I should've known the relationship was doomed!

Offline gerry

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 07:48:17 pm »
Female boerboel always sleeps on the bed.  The rottie on the floor because he gets too hot.  The male boerboel on the bed in the winter.  The puppy for now has a coolaroo bed next to bed or in my lap.

[img width= height=]http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL420/1522477/5122366/89041302.jpg[/img]

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 11:13:52 pm »
Gerry,
Your dogs all look so confy on the bed in that pic. I just wanna cuddle with them all!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 02:56:43 am »
 ;)

The boys have always been in our room.  They have crates in our room.  The first few minutes of bedtime, when we say "Let's go to bed" they slowly go to the room, then on the bed.

We adjust butts, tails, legs, paws (terribly uncomfortable in the face, not to mention they stink sometimes) heads, and so forth until we are the ones actually comfortable. 

After a few minutes, the boys slide off (using a stool we made for them) and go to their kennels.  It's only a group thing for a few minutes.  Good thing too.  I mean two newfies on a bed...well, there is hardly room for humans.  I throw my leg over Bryce, Hubby shares his pillow with Monty who is stretched between us.  Usually a burp in my face after he settles his head by hubby.  Bryce remains very still at the end of the bed!!

What's harshest...the guys all snoring.  Now that is a rough evening.
 :D :D :D

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 03:45:28 am »
4 of ours sleep in their crates in the dog/laundry room, the oldest one Griz decided she didn't like her crate anymore so we started leaving her out in the laundry room. Now she gets out of there and normally sleeps in the den, on the couch, but she is quick and gets off before you come in the room.
If it doesn't have a double coat, you are not getting enough fur in your diet.
Ken

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 03:33:37 pm »
Oasis, our collie/golden mix used to sleep in the bed until his arthritis got too bad and he can't jump up there anymore. He has his own bed in the living room now (unless the cats steal it from  him) or he'll sneak up on the sofa after we go to bed.

Our australian shepherd sleeps under the bed. He started doing this on his own, but now if we say, "Rocko, get in your hole" he'll run under the bed. I snapped this hilarious picture of him one night when he got "really" comfortable under there.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain