Author Topic: Pyrs summer appitite  (Read 3810 times)

Kiahpyr

Pyrs summer appitite
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:02:28 am »
Kiah has decided to eat once a day. I'm feeding her 2 cups twice a day. Once in the morning and then in the evening. She doesn't eat her breakfast until afternoon and never eats her supper. It's still there in the morning. I'm thinking this is due to the heat since it started when it got hot out. Since she's eating once a day should I give her all her food then? Is this a pyr thing or just my picky dog?

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrs summer appitite
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:06:17 am »
I know that Tenchi's not a Pyr, but when we have warm weather I'm lucky if I can get him to eat ANYTHING!  I've found that feeding him late at night and putting cold water in his food helps some.  But its a gamble as to how much he'll eat during the summer.  We're in MA BTW, so our summer is anything over 76 degrees.  lol

~moni
PS How's Kitana doing? 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:14:19 am »
I understand that most pyrs don't eat much in the summer.  Youcan count of them losing weight in the summer and then gaining it back in the winter.  However, Baloo isn't going to miss his groceries unless the world ends!  He's still going strong in this brutal heat.  I wonder if it stems from him not being fed like he should have been?  Pure supposition on my part but I really think he might think we'll decide to quit feeding him someday so he has to stock up now. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:17:51 am »
I have cut Dixie and Sugar Bear back to 1 1/2 twice a day. Now as for treats Sugar Bear will eat them all day.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 12:58:16 pm »
I know that Tenchi's not a Pyr, but when we have warm weather I'm lucky if I can get him to eat ANYTHING!  I've found that feeding him late at night and putting cold water in his food helps some.  But its a gamble as to how much he'll eat during the summer.  We're in MA BTW, so our summer is anything over 76 degrees.  lol

~moni
PS How's Kitana doing? 

Kitana is doing better. We still need to work on a few things, but we're getting there. BTW she's turning black! Just like a german shepard.

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 11:02:39 am »
Dyson is about the same age as Kiah.  He has also slowed down on eating. Unless it comes to table scraps, he is always hungary then.
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 04:37:09 pm »
Sam never is a real big eater & he has slowed down...Rosie has slowed down too...Pippin is full steam ahead...He will eat anytime, anywhere, anything...Whe n Sam & Rosie try to eat he will try to get to their food dishes no matter how full he is...He can be waddling likea pregnant duck because he is so full & he will still try to get a bite or two down just to show 'em I guess. :-\ :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:00:17 pm »
I have to put Dixie and Sugar Bear in two rooms to eat.  Dixie may not want to eat but she does not want Sugar Bear to eat. If he can get to her bowl he will eat it when she is not looking. ::) Crazy babies.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 06:37:07 pm »
April I was glad to see you post this because Kate also started doing this.  She'll eat in the morning, but won't eat again until it's cooled off (around 9pm or so)... :)

I feel better now! ;D I figured it was the heat too, plus more excercise (we do more when it's nice out)! ;)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 08:04:43 pm »
Zoey has also cut back on her food intake. We technically give her 2 cups twice a day, but lately her breakfast will stay down all day and she'll finally decide to eat something at night
RIP former BPO