Mastiffs > Rare Breed Mastiff Discussions

Question about weight in a dogue de bordeaux.

(1/3) > >>

brinks:
Just took Brinks to the vet today as he was due to get more interceptor and advantage....H e weighed in at 105 lbs and he's just barely a year.  Is this on track for this breed?  Prior to my Dogue to I owned Bullmastiffs. I know they took a long time to mature.  I raised two of them. I hear of dogues weighing in at MUCH higher weights at a year, perhaps he's going to be small?  His dad was gargantuan...L OL

WI Em:
Brinks- I don't think you have much to be worried about. My vet and my trainer all say it's better for them to be on the athletic side than too heavy because of the hip issues our breed can have- not to mention elbows!! Your dogue will continue to grow and is done around 2-ish and I say that loosely. Hope this helps!

Big puppy Bordeaux wave from Wisconsin!

brinks:
yes, that does help.  I take great care to feed him well, etc.  and he gets alot of exercise each day....we live near the beach.  He's healthy, so that's the most important thing!

WI Em:
Yep, healthy is most important. And dogues grow up in height, out in weight, up in height... you get the picture.

If the two of you are getting lots of excrecise (swimming?) that may contribute to the low weight. If you're really worried, try feeding your babe an extra cup of food at each feeding, chances are he'll burn it up at the beach! 8)

jamyj:
This may be a bit on the small side for 1 yr, but I wouldn't stress out.  He still has a LOT of time to grow.  DDB's really don't quit filling out until around 3yrs most of the time. 

I have a 6.5 month DDB and worry about the same thing all the time (because I want a BIG dogue, otherwise why get a mastiff?).  He is 73 lbs and I've read so many people online who have "100 lbs at 8 months) or "90 lbs at 7 months" and I wonder if Louie is going to be small.  I think he'll be fine, and the bottom line is he is a beautiful, healthy dog. 

Remember also, DDB's should be ATHLETES FIRST, large second.  I'd rather have a 135 lb athletic dogue that can run, jump, and such, than a fat 165 lb dogue that just lays around but I can say "Hey I've got a 165 lb DDB!".  Think about it.

Hope this helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version