Author Topic: PEOPLE RANT! I'm fed up!  (Read 17067 times)

Offline brinks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
PEOPLE RANT! I'm fed up!
« on: June 10, 2006, 05:57:31 pm »
 >:(  Okay, I understand the allure of being around a big dog.  He**, that's why I've had giant breeds my entire life.  BUT, with that being said, why are there soooo many ignorant people out there?  We take our dogue de bordeaux to many places that dogs are allowed, for example, the beach.  EVERY single time, there is some fool that RUNS up to us and our dog screaming about how gorgeous he is.  They'll proceed to violently invade his space (no matter what we are doing) and while they are actively petting him ask this question....."DOES HE BITE?"  Okay, wtf?  Thank God, Brinks is such a tolerant dog.  He's simply a sweetheart and very socialilzed.  But, really, it makes me think of all the poor dogs out there who get blamed for things that were clearly the fault of some stupid person. 

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but geesh, step back from the big red dog. Anyone else have any of these horror stories?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:24:49 pm by Jacksmom »

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: PEOPLE RANT! I'm fed up!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 06:08:55 pm »
UGH I know how you feel! When I had a foster min pin who wasn't very socialized and still not used to strangers walking up to him, I had took him for a walk one day when these kids ran up to us and Yaz tried to bolk while he was still on leash. So I picked him up and started walking past the kids when they were crowding around me and trying to pet him and asking if he bit. I told them yes, so what do they do, they tried to stick their hands by his mouth! I don't get what was going through those kids heads but they obviously wanted to be bit! So I made them stop and started walking again, when they started throwing rocks at me! Luckily I was more worried about Yaz than trying to kill the kids. The next day I talked to the older sister of one kids and they ended up getting in trouble by their moms. So that was a happy ending for me.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:02:48 pm »
My favorite big dog/stupid people thing is when someone allowed their stupid unsocialized Daschund to bite my dog, after I asked if it bit,and they said NO, and it ran up to my do who was on a leash.  It bit Badger, made him cry, made me say swear words, then a few minutes later, I overheard this MORON bragging about how his good for nothing animal bit a 'massive rottweiler, he doesn't back down to anything'.  That one time I really wish Badger had reared up and attacked the owner, on account of him having it coming!
 >:(   

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 07:05:11 pm »
I understand this 110%.  I think God for our dogs patience every time we are out in public.  Little kids will run right up to Bava and put their face on his head and hug him, and THEN the parents will ask "Does he Bite".... Like WTF? Does your kid still have their face?  We don't have kids , but if we did I would never let my child run up to some strange dog and put their face on them and hug them.  Especially when the dog weighs 3 times what the kid does. 

Melissa and I were just talking about this on the way back home from the Pet-Palooza.   Kids that would run like the dickens at Bava and then run away crying when he looked at them.  I think the kids needed the prong collars, as our dogs were much better behaved than they were :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 07:19:13 pm »
Yeah we had a little girl come flying at Kali today.  Kali doesn't like when kids come running at her and the kid was so persistent.  She isn't sure about them as she hasn't been around that many kids with no dog common sense.  Then an older lady wasn't paying attention walked by Kali turned around and freaked out at her.  Now Kali was sitting there behaving and was there first.  The Nutro rep lady stood up for her and said she's a gentle giant.  Then the lady said well everyone says that til their dog attacks my little one...I read this as her dog has no manners and starts stuff.  People are so annoying but luckily everyone else fawned over her.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:15:54 pm »
o yea i had ppl pull me aside when i was leaving pet palooza and they were like is he(Baxter) for adoption.  I said "o no he is my dog" and then they said " Well how much is he"  I said " no he isnt for adoption".  Thinking they just didnt hear me.  The woman steped right into my face and said "No how much is he so we can buy him"  I was like are you kidding. 
  The only thought in my head was like if i run back inside i can get the Big paws gang and we can take her.   but I just said " Look he isnt for sale he is MY dog but there are plenty of dogs in there for adoption and i even think there is a springer.  They said "  No if we got one we would want him"  Like they were trying to give me a gilt trip. 
 Ppl can be really ballsy and rude these days. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 08:23:06 pm »
I think the kids needed the prong collars, as our dogs were much better behaved than they were :)

That is so funny Brandon! A few weeks ago we had a situation that actually infuriated me. We were out on a Friday night with Bear and took him to eat Sushi with us. As usual people were everywhere gawking but there were two different groups of girls (teens) that walked by us and screamed bloody murder when they saw Bear. I was so angry but said nothing just kept to myself. Then, as we were eating a third group came by. Bear was on the patio with us seperated from the public by a fence. He was also hard to see as it was dark and he was by my feet and half way under the tablecloth. Anyhow, these girls kinda walk by, stop, look down and scream! Bear looks at them and I get angry. Then, they stop screaming, approach us, ask to pet him and then ask if he bites. I was so mad that I said "He only bites people who scream in his face for no apparent reason".  >:( It was mean of me to say but I was mad. They ended up not petting Bear and as they turned around they said "Man, she is mean!"  ::) Hopefully next time they'll think before screaming.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 08:25:24 pm »
Everyone was just so impressed with our dogs temperments.  Except Bell she was being bad with other dogs.  but the fact that all these GIANT dogs can lay on this little bitty dog and not crush him  has to worth adopting!!! ;D
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 08:27:49 pm »
Oh that would have been fun to have the "Big Paws Gang" tell he there is no way she is getting Baxter!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 08:28:14 pm »
That is so funny Brandon! A few weeks ago we had a situation that actually infuriated me. We were out on a Friday night with Bear and took him to eat Sushi with us. As usual people were everywhere gawking but there were two different groups of girls (teens) that walked by us and screamed bloody murder when they saw Bear. I was so angry but said nothing just kept to myself. Then, as we were eating a third group came by. Bear was on the patio with us seperated from the public by a fence. He was also hard to see as it was dark and he was by my feet and half way under the tablecloth. Anyhow, these girls kinda walk by, stop, look down and scream! Bear looks at them and I get angry. Then, they stop screaming, approach us, ask to pet him and then ask if he bites. I was so mad that I said "He only bites people who scream in his face for no apparent reason".  >:( It was mean of me to say but I was mad. They ended up not petting Bear and as they turned around they said "Man, she is mean!"  ::) Hopefully next time they'll think before screaming.

OMG! How stupid is that? Last year at high school a girl had a seeing eye dog that was OF COURSE trained and well behaved but I couldn't get over the fact that stupid people would still stop in the hallways and scream like the dog was going to go after it. ::) Some people, can we just send them all to the moon?
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 08:29:04 pm »
I wish Megan...how I wish.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

cricket36580

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 07:50:35 am »
I was amazed at how many people asked if Bella and Fos were up for adoption.  I just kept saying no, that they needed to go look at Jada or the other 2 there were up for adoption.  A few people that I talked to were really surprised at how little "space" a dane needed and they were very pleasant to "educate".  Other than the chihuahua and the golden, I was amazed at how well everyone behaved towards my beasts.  In fact, only once did someone not ask about petting them and no one asked if they bit.  If I go to festivals, it seems like every other person asks whether they bite or what are they or where's the saddle.  I do like the t-shirt idea...can we put the BPO logo on it???  I think I may email a friend of mine and see if we can't get those shirts set up.  They should be around $10-15 each with one side printed and 100% cotton.  Pocket t's would be a little more.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 10:04:10 am »
Maybe they're screaming at Bear like girls scream at rockstars :)   People can be so odd sometimes.

Haven't experienced the screaming really, just crying. We got Sophie chipped yesterday.  She was laying down under my chair as I filled out the paperwork.  Can any dog be behaving any better?  This little girl kept coming up to her. Sophie would lift her head and start to get up.  The girl would run away crying, bawling her eyes out, and her mom would coddle her. 

People were staring at me like I was the beelzebub with Cerebus on leash.

That was weird, Sophie is a really cute dog and so obviously a puppy. Maybe the kid had a traumatic experience in the pasts, no idea... but you know, she could stay away from Sophie if she was scared of her.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 10:05:14 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

cricket36580

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 11:43:11 am »
At least Sophie didn't try to eat the girl doing the chipping...   ::)

doggylover

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 11:59:20 am »
It's crazy to me how little parenting some parents do.  If my child was acting like that, rather than coddling them, I would teach them how to read a dog's body language to tell if it was nice or agressive (at whatever level was age appropriate for the child).  I would also think I would deal with the issue of the kid going over there repeatedly then crying/pouting/being scared.  The child probably did that to get attention from the parent and I'm sure that's a delightful trait.  "How to Teach Your Kid to Be a Drama Queen 101".  Too bad you couldn't teach Sophie to growl with the command "look Sofie, this nice little girl wants to pet you"...give the little pill something to cry over!
 ;)