Author Topic: PEOPLE RANT! I'm fed up!  (Read 17068 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: PEOPLE RANT! I'm fed up!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 07:44:04 pm »
i hate it when kids do that.  Its like do you understand screaming is going to make a dog WANT to start barking at you. 

When i was at the beach with Bell and Baxter a group of girls ran up to the dogs that were on leashes in the water and started screaming at the top of their lungs.  Bell's only reaction was start barking getting so excited that they were going to play with her.  I was like stop sreaming and she will calm down. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

GR8DAME

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 08:43:44 pm »
I think the kids needed the prong collars, as our dogs were much better behaved than they were :)

That is so funny Brandon! A few weeks ago we had a situation that actually infuriated me. We were out on a Friday night with Bear and took him to eat Sushi with us. As usual people were everywhere gawking but there were two different groups of girls (teens) that walked by us and screamed bloody murder when they saw Bear. I was so angry but said nothing just kept to myself. Then, as we were eating a third group came by. Bear was on the patio with us seperated from the public by a fence. He was also hard to see as it was dark and he was by my feet and half way under the tablecloth. Anyhow, these girls kinda walk by, stop, look down and scream! Bear looks at them and I get angry. Then, they stop screaming, approach us, ask to pet him and then ask if he bites. I was so mad that I said "He only bites people who scream in his face for no apparent reason".  >:( It was mean of me to say but I was mad. They ended up not petting Bear and as they turned around they said "Man, she is mean!"  ::) Hopefully next time they'll think before screaming.

LOL Jaimie, when I find my tee-shirt that says "Beware of OWNER" I'll pick an extra one up for you.
Stella

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 09:49:05 pm »
It's funny, I take Feste to a lot of these type events with the Friends, when I'm not actually working the adoption booth and all that has been described happoens almost every time without fail.  I generally want to tell people that any dog will bite if sufficently provoked, but that just ends up in a huge explanation and frankly by the end of it,everyone is bored and nothing is learned.  I've been know to correct children who were too forward when their parents don't and I heve flat out told people who I don't want to approach him that he might bite in order to keep them away. 
When there's a child who is timid, I'll make Feste lie down so to not be so intimidating.  I always like those interactions as I can talk to the child while they are coming up to Feste and praise them for approaching the dog properly.
The really funny thing about all of this is that I have more problems with this at 'dog' events, than when I'm walking downtown, whethwer I have 1 or all 3 of them with me.  You'd think that people who are at 'dog' events would be more aware of their kids in that situation than they would be in others, but it seems to be exactly the opposite!
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 09:13:44 am »
On a good note.. We do meet an equal amount of nice people with well behaved kids.  I love it when a parent walks up first and ask if their children can pet our dogs.  That's just really responsible in my book.

It's just the oddballs that stand out I guess :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 09:28:07 am »
Yesterday at work i had bell and baxter there.  we were walking aroud and a lady asked me to show her where a certain kind of dog food was.  Well i was walking down the drive isle and a woman with five kids the oldest was 16 and the youngest probably like 10. 
  Well as soon as we started down the isle all the kids start screaming and running becasue they were so scared.  I was like are you kidding if you are terrified of a dog dont come in a PET STORE to walk around in and on a weekend when everyone brings their pets in.  I mean if this was another dog it might have gotten really upset. 
  You know not only were they there just walking around scared but they were banging on all the bird cages and fish tanks and then sreaming when the birds would fly around to get away.
  I finnaly told them if they couldnt stop doing these things we would have to ask them to leave because it was stressing the animals out. They looked at me and gave me alot of attitude so i had to go get our manager to tell them.  Pppl are stupid sometimes. 

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 09:29:29 am »
I have always tought my kids to ask BEFORE approaching a strange dog - I love my kids (and they way they look!).

I have had to talk to a few of the little kids at soccer about how they treat Teddy.  They think he's a big stuffed animal and want to maul him.  Ted's a great puppy but still, I don't want to take the chance that something odd might happen.

I've also had one parent think he was the devil dog himself - you should have seen the look of fear when their little boy (maybe 1.5 yrs) tried to pet Teddy.  Strange.

I just don't get some people.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 09:44:37 am »
Haha.. That reminds of something Penny..

What is funny to me, is toy dog owners who insist on using a flexi-lead in a public area. They aren't paying attention to what their dog is doing.  And then they notice their dog is nose to nose with Bava.  I have seen a couple of them actually leave the ground (zooom!) when the owner jerks their pup back so quick.  I guess they thought they were getting ready to be mauled by a bear. 

I always wanted to say.. Oh he already ate or something similar, but I just let it go.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline WI Em

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 12:35:28 pm »
Though I'm new here I feel everyone's pain. I have a 6 month old Dogue de Bordeax puppy named Beaumont and people are just plain stupid about it. He's already excellently trained and socialized, but you would think he's going to eat every kid in the neighborhood the way people act while we are out for a walk >:(

What's worse is that today at the vet, (there are three in the office I take him to) one of my vets informed me that I have an agressive breed. What crap! It boils down to how the owner trains the dog. Beaumont is such a lover, what a stupid broad generalization to make and from an educated women to boot! I'm greatfull that Beau is such a sweet dogue and patient with stupid humans ;D

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 12:45:27 pm »
That is crazy because i know a couple of dogues and everone is sweeter than the next.  I hate it when ppl do that it really makes me upset. 

Lyn

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 01:19:09 pm »
We don't have this problem because people avoid Bubba like he's the plague. :'( I've seen people litterally grab their kids by the arm and cross the street. We get alot of people that just point and stare now. ???

When Bubba was a baby it was the opposite. People would cross the road to see him, ask questions about the breed, love him up.. Ask me where his barrel or where my saddle was. ::) LOL.. But now it's like he's grown horns and spits fire.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:20:55 pm by Lyn »

Offline brinks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 07:07:43 pm »
Some ppl just seem to incite bad doggie behaviour i.e the screaming, the running towards the dog waving wildly like an idiot, the irresponsible little dog with napoleon complex owner.  Over the last few weeks I have begun to wonder how many dogs were labeled dangerous by animal control just because one of the above irresponsible people happened by them?  sad.... :-X

Offline WI Em

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 03:59:12 pm »
Yep, and what's sad about the discrimination is that a lot of people think he's a pitt-bull breed of some kind. I know many pitt-bulls and they're just as sweet as the Bordeaux! Again, it all really is in how the owner raises the dog.

Where I live Beaumont is the ONLY Bordeaux. My trainer has 30 or so years of experience not only training dogs but as a dog behaviorist/psychologist working all over the state and my pup is the first he's ever met in the flesh! I wonder where this particular vet gets her "agressive breed" info-possibly a Rice Crispie box? :P

Today we went downtown for some socialization/field trip and as many people who were friendly were horrified that I (quote one woman),"bring a beast like that downtown with all of these respectable people and their children around! ???" I just had a kid of a not horrified parent give Beau a treat out of his mouth and smiled at the woman ;)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 04:12:25 pm »
What's worse is that today at the vet, (there are three in the office I take him to) one of my vets informed me that I have an agressive breed.

Yeah, so agressive they gave one a title role in a Tom Hanks movie!

How can anybody think a 'Hooch' is aggressive???  I thought that movie was just such a great examplar of how stupid people mistake a PROTECTIVE dog for an aggressive one.  You should find a copy of that movie and take it with you the next time you go to your vet.  Tell them to watch the movie if they want to learn about your protective breed of dog, because they clearly don't understand the difference!
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline WI Em

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 04:21:48 pm »
For me it's simple. When I make Beaumont's next appt. I'm going to ask which vet he will be seen by. If it's the vet I have no respect for, I'll simply say that I would prefer to see anyone but HER and at any time. If they don't like that, I'll find a different vet :)

I'm not going to bother trying to educate someone who obviously has their mind made up about my dogue's temperment/disposition/training. People like this woman are the ones grabing their kid by the arm and dragging them to the opposite side of the road when we're out for a walk. *shug* I love my puppy dog, he loves me and he's great-that's all that matters 8)

Offline jamyj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Dogster
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 09:11:52 pm »
Wow, quite a rant going on, and I'll just add to it.  People are stupid.  I'm a correctional officer so I can attest to just how stupid many can be....

The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs.  Ha!  Very true.

We have 2 dogue de bordeaux PUPPIES and a 3 year old boxer.  I've had police at my house on several occasions with reports of "3 pit-bulls running loose".  Pits are banned in my area.  I have to inform them that I have never owned a pit and that I would not let my $1500 puppies "run loose in the neighborhood".  DUH!!!

They are all three the sweetest dogs.  My bordeaux's will bark at strangers, but as soon as they are introduced they give them a big, drooly kiss whether they want one or not!! Ha!

Thanks to all of you sharing your feelings about a subject I get very upset about.  You all have some great looking dogs, too!
The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!