Author Topic: Shirland Newfoundland Fun day  (Read 1501 times)

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Shirland Newfoundland Fun day
« on: June 11, 2006, 03:44:11 pm »
Well, Saturday was the hottest day of the year so far in the U.K. and it was off to Shirland in Derbyshire fo a Newfoundland funday organised by the Northern Newfoundland Club.

The sun got to me early on and I found I had entered Bell and Hovis in the Match Show, Happiest family, longest down stay and musical chairs.

Confusion reigned from then on as Hovis lost in the first round but Bell won. I then placed Hovis in Bells round and Bell in Hovis' round so I cancelled any further part I would take in the match competition.

The longest down stay went as predicted, we were doing great for about 2 minutes till I foolishly put my hand in my pocket. Bell was immediately sat at attention drooling and watching every move I made. As ever, food won out over obedience. Following the longest stay, or in my case the shortest, Junior Handling, after a quick search of the show I found a little girl called Shannon who took Bell into the show ring and put her through her paces, Both behaved impeccably and Shannon got a rosette to prove it! Things were picking up.

Happiest family was next and I was able to play my trump card, Hovis. It was a hot day and all the newfs were feeling the effects, but Hovis true to form was in Hyperactive mode, playing with Bell, demanding kisses from me and anyone else nearby, we couldn't lose, and we didn't - our first victory. We all went inside for musical chairs where I saw Shannon watching the preparations. Yes, she would like to play musical chairs with Hovis and I could escape and watch the proceedings from the side. Shannon and Hovis were doing brilliantly until Hovis realised it was a game and that people weren't getting mad at her for playing with the other dogs and that you could rush around when the bell rang. Hovis distracted the other newfs while Shannon grabbed a passing chair as she was dragged over the slippery floor by a Hyperactive Newfoundland in search of fun. They came second so Shannon bagged another prize and rosette. Neither
Shannon or her parents seemed to mind Hovis' antics so all was fine.

All in all a fun, Newfie filled day out, Bell even got a posh leather carting harness bought for her. We all drove back to Yorkshire tired and happy.

Andy, Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
Re: Shirland Newfoundland Fun day
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:11:47 pm »
Is that Bell and Hovis's van in the first pic, if so it looks incredible and we need more pics. Looks like you had  fun as we did although leave it to you, a seasoned exhibitor, to bring the wrong dog into a class. At least you found Shannon to carry your weight.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 01:44:33 am »
Is that Bell and Hovis's van in the first pic, if so it looks incredible and we need more pics.

You're right, it is my van, I finally sold Suzi, my little red van. This is its replacement, I'll post some pics in the next couple of days.

Andy
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:02:48 am »
wow sounds like it was a very fun day!!  great pictures!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog