Author Topic: Afghan pictures - anyone?  (Read 12131 times)

Offline affiepoodlegirl

• Ankle Biter
  • Harry
    • View Profile
Afghan pictures - anyone?
« on: March 17, 2005, 10:33:03 am »
I want to see your Afghan.  Because I am a new owner, I want to see pictures and grooming and hair care.  Do you keep the saddle clean?  I am thinking about letting that hair grow in.  Is there any trimming that you do?  Harry came to me in a show coat, so I do not know if anyone trims or does anything special other than keep them bathed and brushed.

Thanks.
Michelle
Ollie
Oakley
Harry

Offline Terrasage

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Noah's Wife
Re: Afghan pictures - anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 07:48:01 pm »
Hi Michelle..when I start my grooming lessons, I'll share them with you!  My understanding is that the  "proper" afghan has a clean saddle, and if you want it to look natural, you don't shave it, you use this volcanic rock (which smells yucky like sulfer) to basically rub the hair in that area off.  The other tip I was told is to never brush them out when their hair is dry--you should spray diluted conditioner in the area where you're preparing to brush. 

Terra LOVES to be brushed out, weird dog :)  I need to learn how to do it properly though, because she stays matted no matter what I do it seems.  Probably has plenty to do with her being outside so much.
Under the spell of Sage the Border Collie, Terra the Afghan Hound, Christine the Evil Housecat and Smoky the African Timneh Grey Parrot and now Sweet William the Newf, born 01/10/05! Support the NCA Health Challenge by shopping at The Critter Cafe: http://www.cafepress.com/crittercafe

Offline sandras

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:07:02 am »
Hello new hairy beast owners!  My afghan Dija was my only child 25 years ago.  If you are not showing your hound, you don't need to do anything to the saddle.  It will stay short.  To keep the floors a little less muddy in the spring you may want to trim the hair between those graceful long toes and the pads of the feet.  Another very useful item is a snood for dinnertime.  I made my first from a large tube sock with the toe cut off.  Friends who knit or crochet can make a fancy one for you.  Slide the snood over the nose to hold back the hairy ears and topknot while  eating: keeps the hair clean and un-chewed.  To brush, lay the dog down on its side.  A table with a rubber-backed bath mat or a grooming table are much easier on the back than is the floor.  With your non-brush arm, smooth the side hair up over the back in the opposite direction from which it normally hangs.  Let go of a small layer of hair to brush at a time.  That way you will be able to brush all the way down to the skin, which iis the only way to avoid mats.  I managed the coat most easily when I took the time EVERY DAY to brush Dija's hair with a hairbrush made for humans.  I used a pin brush with a non-static pad at the base of the pins.  It only took 5 to 10 minutes to get the day's mess out, and I could do it with Dija standing.  If I let it go a week there would be snarls and it would take forever.  NEVER brush your hound's hair when it is wet!  You risk some serious breakage.  If you want to mist the coat with conditioner in the event of a major brushing with many snarls, do it one small section at a time.  Conditioner will build up and make for a greasy-looking dog over time.  Plan on frequent baths.  There is a mat-loosening product you can find at pet stores to use on really bad ones.  Afghan skin is really tender, so don't try to pull out a bad mat.  Insert the end of a blunt-nosed scissors near the skin and cut in the direction of hair growth to split a mat for easier teasing out.  On another note, never underestimate your hound's ability to climb.  No fence could hold Dija.  She climbed over a 10 foot fence before we gave up and roofed her kennel.  Her drive to chase was incredible.  If I went back in the house for a minute she'd take off after anything, even a bird.  Afghans are wise and goofy and they all think they're human.  Best of luck with your new additions. 

Offline Terrasage

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Noah's Wife
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 06:29:17 am »
Thanks for the advice Sandra!  I thought that you weren't supposed to brush out a dry coat, shows you what I know!    Trimming the feet is a good idea too.
Under the spell of Sage the Border Collie, Terra the Afghan Hound, Christine the Evil Housecat and Smoky the African Timneh Grey Parrot and now Sweet William the Newf, born 01/10/05! Support the NCA Health Challenge by shopping at The Critter Cafe: http://www.cafepress.com/crittercafe

Offline affiepoodlegirl

• Ankle Biter
  • Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 08:15:13 am »
Thanks so much.  I was wondering about the feet and if there were any shortcuts to keeping the feet clean.  I think trimming between the toes will really help.

You mentioned never brushing while coat is wet.  I agree!  Everyone said never brush dry, but it pulls too much when the coat it wet. 

Thanks.
Michelle
Ollie
Oakley
Harry

Offline cadabra46

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 08:38:26 pm »

Hi all. I no longer own an Affie but have had  few in the past....5 to be exact--the whole rainbow. One thing I wanted to add is that I found that using Paul Mitchell Detangler conditioner on my last Affie "Lurcher" helped immensely with the grooming. It may not be a perfect PH match but saved me a LOT of grooming time.......I still love Affies but just can't keep up with the grooming. I'm now a Doberman addict! LOL Yeah yeah, I know BIG change.....wha t can I say?
Cadabra46

Offline slietz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 11:21:48 am »
Teddy's a recent rescue and he had to be shaved because, at 3 y-o, he'd never been groomed.  HOWEVER, I have to say, as it grows out, I'm loving his look with the puppy cut... I seem to recall thoughts of Terra that looked like a puppy cut...Did I get that right??  Sooo beautiful; I'd never seen a brindle Afghan!