Author Topic: For those that live in cold/snowy areas..........  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
For those that live in cold/snowy areas..........
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:16:56 pm »
How do you get your hyper dogs enough exercise when there are snow drifts everywhere?  I don't want to keep my dog locked up but if I don't find her the right home before I move, she'll be going with me and it's COLD in MN.  Not really the best place for a nearly hairless dog.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: For those that live in cold/snowy areas..........
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 03:41:51 pm »
NONSENSE.  Just get her a parka and some snow boots; she'll be perfectly fine in the weather.  That's what dog fashion is for, girlie-o!

You could also teach her to run on a treadmill.  My cousin Warren lives in Phoenix with an OE sheepdog, and they run him on the treadmill all summer while it's too hot to breathe!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 03:42:41 pm »
My cousin's dobies don't have that many issues with the cold but if you're worried get her a doggy blanket/jacket.  Our guys just play in the snow although we don't get as much as Minnesota.  Our greyhound and Setter used to have them....my mom made them some.  I believe we still have them somewhere.  As for exercise Kali especially loves bouncing through it as does Lacey and they love to chase snowballs.  If all else fails play fetch in a hallway or train her to use a treadmill.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 03:44:02 pm »
My dobermans have always been inside dogs, but they loved to run and play in the snow and cold Chicago winters. Chasing snowballs, bounding thru drifts and King of the snowhill were all favorites. When they got cold, the spokes-dog would give a bark, and they were let back in until the next burst of energy.
Keeping short haired dogs in colder climates is mostly common sense, just like keeping longerhaired dogs in warmer climates.
Stella

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:11:31 pm »
"NONSENSE.  Just get her a parka and some snow boots; she'll be perfectly fine in the weather.  That's what dog fashion is for, girlie-o!"

I told hubby that she'll look like a complete dork with a jacket, boots, and hat on.  Poor girl!  I feel sorry for her and it hasn't even happened yet!

You could also teach her to run on a treadmill.  My cousin Warren lives in Phoenix with an OE sheepdog, and they run him on the treadmill all summer while it's too hot to breathe!

I have considered doing that here because it's so hot during the summer but I can't afford one atm.  Right now I run her up and down the stairs chasing her toys all day and jumping over baby gates.  It helps.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 04:19:11 pm »
I told hubby that she'll look like a complete dork with a jacket, boots, and hat on.  Poor girl!  I feel sorry for her and it hasn't even happened yet!

She will not!  She'll look great!  You don't have to buy her wild paisley prints at Petsmart, you know. 

There's a LOT of really great cold weather gear out there for winter hunting, especially if you wait to move to Minnesota.  If you buy hunting dog gear, you'll find that it's really high quality, reasonably priced and not at all silly looking.  Guys don't want their dog made fun of in the duck blind, you know?   :D

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:34:23 pm »

She will not!  She'll look great!  You don't have to buy her wild paisley prints at Petsmart, you know. 

There's a LOT of really great cold weather gear out there for winter hunting, especially if you wait to move to Minnesota.  If you buy hunting dog gear, you'll find that it's really high quality, reasonably priced and not at all silly looking.  Guys don't want their dog made fun of in the duck blind, you know?   :D

If your hubby has a fav hockey team..there are normal looking dog coats with logos on it too. ;)  Rosie / Farley will be sharing a striking blue Toronto Maple Leafs coat on this winter....

Farley dosen't have much fur either but he enjoys playing an digging in the snow...like it was mentioned before--she will let you know when she has had enough time outside.  I think she will adjust fine ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:38:01 pm by Icerotti »

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 04:36:58 pm »
Maggie hates the snow! She'll avoid going outside at all costs in the winter, even if it means holding her pee for long periods of times. Usually we force her outside and when we tell her "Outside" she runs the other way and hides under a blanket or by the couch ::) She loves her sweatshirt I put on her though, makes going outside somewhat better. LOL
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:42:48 pm »
 If your hubby has a fav hockey team..there are normal looking dog coats with logos on it too.   

Farley dosen't have much fur either but he enjoys playing an digging in the snow...like it was mentioned before--she will let you know when she has had enough time outside.  I think she will adjust fine

uuummmmm  Hubby won't be there so it doesn't really matter what he likes.  ;)  He doesn't have a fav team anyway.  He rarely watches sports.  Holly is such a princess about getting wet, I doubt she would find it amusing to be put out the backdoor with that cold wet stuff.  lol  i'm sure I'll hear alllllllllll about it the first few times at least.  She pouts if the sprinklers spray her.   ::)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 05:49:31 pm »
She pouts if the sprinklers spray her

Hee.  I can see her now, just pouting away. 

You know something funny, though?  Dogs don't realize that snow is frozen rain. 

Max will NOT go out in the rain without a fight.  He's even snapped at Mom when she's made him go out in the rain.  He hates rain with a purple passion, and his doggy curses turn the air a delicate baby blue.  (Is Holly this bad?  If so, I'm sorry! :)) Nor does Max like the sprinkler or a hose. I think he only puts up with a bath because he's in the bathroom, in warm water, and he knows he's going to get all that blow drying/brushing/grooming attention when he gets out of the tub.

BUT:

Max ADORES the snow.  Can't wait to get OUT in the snow.  Won't come IN from the snow. He can see the snow, tunnel in the snow, carry snowballs around, dig in the snow...snow is Max's best weather EVER.  Max will stay out for 3 hours in the snow without a single bark out of his mouth.  Any other weather, it's 30 minutes max, even if you're out with him.

Snow is something that a dog can totally play with.  Not like horrible rain that just plops on you and makes you wet.  Snow is a TOY.  Holly will LOVE snow.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad