Author Topic: Spent a few hours at the emergency vet last night  (Read 2006 times)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Spent a few hours at the emergency vet last night
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:06:05 am »
And $300 later, Star has a tummy ache!   ::)

Star (Dane) and Max (chow mix) got into my backpack a few days ago (I last used it a few weeks ago when traveling to my in-laws). One of the dogs ate a few (at the most) ibuprofen tablets from my bag. :o After doing an internet search, I decided it was probably okay given the sizes of the dogs and the few tablets involved. Last night, when hubby got home there was a Star-sized pile of vomit at the door that consisted of dog food and a Snickers bar wrapper. Then I remembered there had been a snickers in my bag too! When Star refused dinner (which is extremely unusual with her), off to the emergency vet we go. I was concerned that she had gotten something else out of the bag, and maybe had an obstruction.

After xrays, bloodwork, and fluids for dehydration, she is fine. No blockage, liver enzymes were normal, and a special diet for today and she'll be good as new. I'm looking at this as an investment-now I know what she does when she has a tummy-ache. And as a warning to keep all food (or things that might be mistaken as food) out of her reach!

Last week one of my cats had an ugly body fluid incident, so they both went to the vet to make sure nothing was up (one has failing kidneys). So in the last week, I've spent almost $500 on my pets.

I bet you didn't know that I am actually made of money!

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Spent a few hours at the emergency vet last night
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:14:27 pm »
I'm so glad Star is ok.

That must have been scary! I hate trips to the emergency vet!
I know exactly how you feel about spending a fortune on your dogs before you know it!  ::)

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 01:26:32 pm »
AWWWW what a scare, I'm glad its over and you didn't spend thousands!
 :D

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 01:58:03 pm »
I'm glad Star is fine.  Emergency vet runs are never any fun.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 06:50:21 pm »
I'm sorry you had a scare like that!  I'm glad that's over.  But can you explain to me why the pupperinos ALWAYS have to scare us when the regular vet's office is closed?? ::)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 06:59:56 pm »
I'm glad Star is okay now :)
RIP former BPO