Author Topic: Ideas on BIG DOG chews??  (Read 7341 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Ideas on BIG DOG chews??
« on: June 14, 2006, 08:36:49 am »
Curious as to what you veteran Newf owners found to be SOMEWHAT indestructible?   ;)
Kuma LOVES stuffed animals but of course they don’t have a very long life in our home! We buy them cheap and don't get attached!  :D

She will not play with her Kongs, Nylabones and items like these.  She doesn't care to much for the cow hoofs. (And I only let her have these when I am around) Things that she does like (And again, I do keep an eye on her when she has these) are the flavored rawhides….but the plain ones she will not touch and the flavored ones she will demolish in a sitting. And pig ears?  Forget it!! She LOVES pig ears but good lord…they are so expensive and now don’t last five minutes.  (That’s almost like training treats now! LOL)

Any other ideas folks have run across??
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas on BIG DOG chews??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 08:39:33 am »
Cowboy and Chester love the filled marrow bones...by Red Barn, I think.  It takes a long time to get the stuffin' out of them and I've refilled them with peanut butter and frozen them for a hot day treat.  That's one of their favorites!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 09:32:24 am »
I can send you some "previously chewed workboots".

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:39:02 am »
Harley likes the large bones we get from the butcher.

Also, the fire hose toys seem to hold up pretty well for him.

We also have some of the canvas stuffed toys like the suspictious chicken, bad kitty etc. but I have to sew those practically every other night.

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:34:54 am »
I get knuckle bones from the butcher and freeze them.  Dell loves the frozen bones and will gnaw on one for HOURS.  He also loves the filled marrow bones. 

If I loosely fill a Kong he will occupy himself with that but it took him almost a year to actually like the Kong.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:14:35 pm »
I have a package from the butcher at home I will look and report back; they charge about $6.oo for 8 bones that are about 5-6 inches.  They still have a little meat on them I keep them frozen.  Also, they smell a little at first so I try to give it to Harley outside until the meat is gone about 15 minutes then he just chews it and carries it -

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:53:17 pm »
We give Cirra FarMore frozen buffalo bones or Merrick beef jerky "GI" bones for her "after dinner chew".  "Tuffie's"  (www.mydogtoy.c om) have held up better than most of Cirra's stuffed toys however she will chew through these without supervision.  She is a strong chewer.

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 06:41:37 pm »
Would these chews be for Kuma inside or outside?

We give Kate raw, uncooked Bison bones (ya they're gross, a little meat and tendon on them) but she absolutely LOVES them!  One lasts her about 3 evenings outside, and they go here (in Canada) for $2.00 a bone.  You can get them in small, medium, large and x-large.  We like large because Kate can hardly carry the x-large in her mouth, but we never said it wasn't entertaining to watch! :D

Edited to add: Kate has never gotten the runs or anything of that sort from raw bones... :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:42:30 pm by k2campbell »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 06:45:03 pm »
I would suggest a mammoth pet paw tracks tire on a rope. They are made of real tire material, so they are super strong, and since it is on a rope it has many uses - tug, chew, fling-back-and-forth to 'break its neck', etc. Zoey has one and it is one of her very favorites
RIP former BPO

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 09:45:29 pm »
Bella loves bullysticks, but I have to make sure that I get the really thick ones.  When she gets down to about 3inches left, I have to take it away or she swallows it before I know it.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 09:41:51 am »
Thanks for the ideas guys! This is great.

They are for inside (Although she ends up carrying half "her things" outside!) I have carpet and have to watch things that might stain, but can give her stuff like this when she is crated. 
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 10:07:16 am »
This is a little different, but Boudreaux LOVES empty (with the label peeled off) 2 and 3 liter bottles.  Granted it isn't something he eats, but he loves to chew on them and even though the sound drives us insane after awhile, he seems to like it.  He can throw it and chase it, jump on it, etc.  You would have the bottle anyway and you don't have to worry about the carpet!  Just a thought! 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:42:14 am »
Dell loves the bottles but I have to take the lids off or he will swallow them once he pops them off.  He also loves milk bottles.  Those are the cheapest and best things he can play with.  And they last forever!
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 12:18:40 pm »
I get whole cow femurs from the butcher, here a whole femur is about $8, they sell them by the pound. That's a whole cow legbone, from the hip joint to the hock joint. They're about 2 feet long with a big knuckle on both ends. I freeze them solid (cooked or smoked bones can splinter, raw just sort of crumble). Earnest is only allowed to have a fresh bone on his rug in the bedroom, it usually takes a day or so for it to dry out and get de-greased, then he's allowed to have them wherever he wants. He understands the command "too messy" it's funny to watch him decide which he wants to do more, come out and visit or stay in the bedroom with his bones. Here, where the climate is so dry, they last at least a month. Phyfe is bone-possesive, he's only allowed to have them for short periods and then they go back in the freezer until next time- Earnest's are stashed all over the upstairs part of the house (Phyfe lives primarily in the downstairs rooms with my son).
A friend of mine brought a new boyfriend by for me to meet, he wasn't very talkative and acted kinda weird. Later when I told her that's what I thought of him she said "he was scared, on the way home he told me he was terrified because Earnest was laying in the corner gnawing on a bone that was bigger than the bone in his (the boyfriend's) leg!"

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 01:45:17 pm »
<<on the way home he told me he was terrified because Earnest was laying in the corner gnawing on a bone that was bigger than the bone in his (the boyfriend's) leg!">>
 :D
 :D

Can you imagine what he thought!  :D

Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers