Author Topic: Do Saints blow coat?  (Read 7890 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Do Saints blow coat?
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:08:15 am »
My Saint Dolly is shedding quite a bit right now. I've read that Saints blow coat and from other sources that they don't but simply shed all year round. Which is true? Is a Saint blowing coat the same as like Northern breeds who shed their undercoat?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Do Saints blow coat?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 11:10:44 pm »
I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you that Brutus is always shedding!!  We need to brush him constantly or we get little rolls of hair blowing down the hallway.  I guess it's possible that they shed more in the summer as it's hotter...

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:56:15 pm »
I know that the two saints I have had shed year round but seem to shed in bigger "chunks" in the spring.  I have found a product that has really helped condense it to only seasonal.  You can get it at www.valleyvet. com under the dog section, I can't remember the name but it has a green label and is something like Mrs. Smith's.  It really works!  That and invest in a shedding blade.  You can get these at any farm and home or tack store.  It's a round/oval blade that has little teeth on one side.  Thor loves it and it works great.
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Yaz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:01:10 am »
Gershwin definitely blew his puppy coat which coincided with spring coming, but before and after that his shedding is minimal - which really surprised me. But I am starting to suspect a correlation between the supplements I give him (like Omega 3) and reduced shedding. Sure enough, I did an informal survey of other dog owners who give supplements and searched online and there is a definite connection between the two. The Omega 3 does not stop shedding but it really reduces it and gives him a beautiful soft coat.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:00:47 am »
Zoey does shed year round, but I think the shedding does increase in the springtime.
RIP former BPO

Offline SaintLover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 07:34:39 pm »
The answer to your question is HECK YEAH!  Of course they shed ALL YEAR ROUND but the spring and fall they "BLOW" their coats and I could have stuffed a mattress with my two boy's sheddings.  When it seemed to get really bad, I took them to Petsmart to be "groomed"  they did not cut anything, just a wash, dry and brush.  The high pressured water and kickin' fan blew most of it off and then the brushing got the remainder.  It was really reasonable too.  I paid $35.00 each for the wash and dry XL.  I have heard the Furminator works great but haven't bought one yet, kinda pricy at $54.00 for the XL size.  Seems like every thing for big dogs have big price tags

Yaz

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 12:05:30 pm »
I just bought a furminator from Ebay for way less than what they charge for it here in Canada ($75 for the large). I will be using it as soon as it comes and will let you all know if it is worth the hype.

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 12:17:16 pm »
Bubba has just recently started blowing his coat, I pulled chunks off his rear end the other day. So we just ordered 2 of those "Shed Ender" brushes. They are advertised on tv to remove the undercoat. They better work.. lol

Offline forgottensecrets

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Secrets Kennels
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:33 pm »
Saints definitely blow their coat twice a year.  Rough coats are more prominent for the large chucks of coat, whereas smooths just have to be brushed really well.  They all tend to shed all year round, but more so in summer.  My "favorite" bitch is in heat right now, we are planning to breed her during her next heat, but we were going to breed her this heat until she blew her entire coat.  We think she is getting in another adult coat at 2yrs of age.  She is blowing everything, her top coat, and she has already lost her undercoat, except on her neck/chest, which looks funny.  Just brush really well daily during the shedding time, and then weekly(smooths), biweekly(roughs) the rest of the summer/year.
-Rose-

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lifes whole"
                 -Roger Caras