Author Topic: big and non-aggressive: top picks  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: big and non-aggressive: top picks
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:48 am »
I just wanted to suggest an american mastiff or an OEM.  I have an AM and he's been everything that I hoped for and more. 

I tried to post some recent pics but for some reason it BPO won't let me. I'll try and post again.

Here is some answers to some FAQ on a AM owner website.

What is an AM’s temperament?

As with OEMs, AMs are loyal, calm dogs that are also extremely family-oriented.  They’re highly compatible with children and bond strongly with their family unit.  The antithesis of nervous or high-strung, AMs often seem rather aloof, with a demeanor that’s almost downright playful and goofy!  Heaven for an AM is simply being in the same room as its other family members, napping contently by their feet.

They’re not unduly aggressive and AMs certainly aren’t attack dogs, but they are superb guardians of their home and family, and will battle with great courage and ferocity if their family is threatened.  AM owners who’ve been victimized by break-ins have discovered would-be criminals cowering in utter fear, pinned in a corner by an immense, growling AM who didn’t appreciate the robbery attempt!

AMs certainly aren’t high-activity dogs, and aren’t suited for five-hour hikes.  But they do require daily exercise.  Most importantly, they need the love and attention of a caring family.  Because of their pleasing nature, AMs and OEMs are often nicknamed “The Gentle Giants.”

What are an AM’s physical dimensions?

Measured from shoulder to the floor, most AMs are between 28 and 35 inches tall (65 – 89 centimeters).  Male AMs tend to weigh between 160 and 200+ pounds (72 – 90+ kg.), with female AMs tending to weigh between 140 and 180 pounds (63 – 81 kg.).  For more information, please visit our AM Breed Standard section on this site.

Do AMs slobber?

Yes.  Even though they have a tighter lip and drool less excessively than most OEMs, AMs still drool on occasion, particularly when running around outside on a warm day, or right after gulping away at the water bowl.  More often than not, quickly wiping their mouth with a dishtowel will clean up excess drool.

Do AMs shed?

Yes, but because of their short hair, it isn’t as problematic as the shedding of long-haired breeds.  AMs tend to shed approximately twice a year, and periodic brushings will help alleviate the weekly accumulation of loose hair around the home

StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 09:44:32 am »
I third this.  After everything I've read about aggressive behaviour it seems to have two major causes:

1)  puppies taken from Mom too early
2)  anxious, fearful personality development (which of course, comes from being indulged/abused/neglected, having no discipline, and lack of exercise)

Sarah

Nicole

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 10:15:54 am »
I think that you guys are nit-picking the aggression issue. I think that we can all agree on a Newf fitting the category of naturally easy-going, and a Fila fitting the category of naturally requiring tons of training to not tend toward agression. I think that it goes without saying that training is key with any dog, but the temperment is the temperment. An untrained Newf might be stupid and knock you down and stuff, but isn't gonna eat your neighbor.

The question was regarding temperament... not if the dog has been well-trained. Leave it alone. That is for a training thread.

Offline leoluvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 08:41:24 pm »
Leonberger, very loving, calm, non-aggressive, doesn't drool much(only after a trip to the water bowl).  The only drawback is the shedding.  They shed a lot!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 08:48:12 pm »
I'm going to put my vote in for a smooth coated Saint Bernard. They're big, but would never hurt anyone, even on guard. They can bark a lot but don't bite. At least, mine doesn't. The smoth coated ones don't shed and mine only drools when she drinks. Some Saints do drool more, but they really aren't like in Beethoven where it's just flowing off their lips all the time! They are great with kids, easy to train, and good with other dogs and cats too. Over all, I give Saint Bernards an A++ for being a family dog.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."