Author Topic: big and non-aggressive: top picks  (Read 7464 times)

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
big and non-aggressive: top picks
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:19:55 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions.

1) What are the least non-agressive breeds out there?  Breeds that love everyone, including children, strangers on the street, or people walking in the front door unannounced.

2) Which breeds are not high-energy?  Breeds that would be fine with a couple of walks a day and lots of indoor playtime and romping vs. breeds that are jogging companions or get into trouble because of boredom.

3) Which breeds do not shed or drool heavily?

Now, does anyone have any large-size picks that combine all three traits?  Shedding and drooling are the least important, but we are trying to be realistic about our future together.   

Nicole

Re: big and non-aggressive: top picks
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 10:43:53 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking for opinions.

1) What are the least non-agressive breeds out there?  Breeds that love everyone, including children, strangers on the street, or people walking in the front door unannounced.

2) Which breeds are not high-energy?  Breeds that would be fine with a couple of walks a day and lots of indoor playtime and romping vs. breeds that are jogging companions or get into trouble because of boredom.

3) Which breeds do not shed or drool heavily?

Now, does anyone have any large-size picks that combine all three traits?  Shedding and drooling are the least important, but we are trying to be realistic about our future together.   

Hmmm...once you get into that size, the drooling is hard to avoid, but here are my picks:

1) For friendly, you can NOT beat a Newf. Hands down. No question! They are also the best for 2) the exercise energy component. However, they completely lose out on number 3). They drool and shed like mad.

Some other suggestions,
The American Mastiff is good on the shedding/drooling issue. They're fairly low-energy. However, I believe that they are somewhat more protective and slightly more aloof than some of the other large breeds. (Not an expert here, just what I've read and heard)

Saint Bernardis good on the energy/friendliness thing. But, once again, forget it on the drooling/shedding thing.

The Great DaneFriendly, yes. Energy-wise, they can be pretty energetic from what I understand. I think once they become grown-ups, they can be pretty couch potato-ish, though. They'll probably drool, but you're OK on the shedding.

Irish WolfhoundSuper sweet dogs. Low-energy but do benefit from some good walks/runs. Not droolers. They're shaggy, but not big shedders. Downside to these guys, they don't live very long.  :(

Well, that's what I can think of for right now...good luck!

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 12:11:03 pm »
I second Newfs and Saints. They are everything you are looking for with the exception of the drool/shedding.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 12:46:56 pm »
I dont think any breed is 'aggressive' some are more protective than others but aggressive to me = unstable, lack of training and socialization etc...

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 01:06:03 pm »
I dont think any breed is 'aggressive' some are more protective than others but aggressive to me = unstable, lack of training and socialization etc...

I second this.  There are plenty of 'aggressive' poodles out there, not because of the breed but because of lack of training (OK maybe they are genetically nutty too...I don't know cause I would never own one).

My only concern is that if you think you are going to get a big paw that isn't going to DESTROY your house, you should very seriously consider getting something else.  Even a well behaved dog will drool, fart, smear your windows, scratch to go out, or back inside, track mud/dirt in, wipe their face off on your best pantsuit, get sick and have diarrhea on your (formerly) nice carpet, lean on everything, leaving behind fur and, over time, brown grime...give me a few more minutes I'm JUST getting started. 

In my humble opinion, the choice to get a big paw is the choice to never again have a pristine/clean/non dogged house.  We limit Pookie to our living room (where we are 90% of the time, and his fur goes into the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, upstairs...whe n we are cooking, we now ignore the Pookie fur in our food...he has destroyed my best flower bed in an attempt to take it over as his personal sunning spot.  He dug a hole in the yard, right in the grass, to lay in...And trust me, he is a GOOD dog.  A large breed can be 99% perfect and still do MAJOR damage.  If you are unfortunate enough to get a dog that isn't mostly perfect, you can add lots more damage to the list...furnitu re that is eaten whole, dogs that eat your molding and window frames...Dogs that bark constantly or drive you crazy on a daily basis.
Just some realistic food for thought!  Happy dog hunting!!!
LOLOLOLOL

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 01:31:20 pm »

I second this.  There are plenty of 'aggressive' poodles out there, not because of the breed but because of lack of training (OK maybe they are genetically nutty too...I don't know cause I would never own one).

My only concern is that if you think you are going to get a big paw that isn't going to DESTROY your house, you should very seriously consider getting something else.  Even a well behaved dog will drool, fart, smear your windows, scratch to go out, or back inside, track mud/dirt in, wipe their face off on your best pantsuit, get sick and have diarrhea on your (formerly) nice carpet, lean on everything, leaving behind fur and, over time, brown grime...give me a few more minutes I'm JUST getting started. 

In my humble opinion, the choice to get a big paw is the choice to never again have a pristine/clean/non dogged house.  We limit Pookie to our living room (where we are 90% of the time, and his fur goes into the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, upstairs...whe n we are cooking, we now ignore the Pookie fur in our food...he has destroyed my best flower bed in an attempt to take it over as his personal sunning spot.  He dug a hole in the yard, right in the grass, to lay in...And trust me, he is a GOOD dog.  A large breed can be 99% perfect and still do MAJOR damage.  If you are unfortunate enough to get a dog that isn't mostly perfect, you can add lots more damage to the list...furnitu re that is eaten whole, dogs that eat your molding and window frames...Dogs that bark constantly or drive you crazy on a daily basis.
Just some realistic food for thought!  Happy dog hunting!!!
LOLOLOLOL

I could not have said it better myself but the breed that comes to mind that I think most meets your criteria is a Great Dane however their life span is relitively short even for big dogs...In saying that know where your dog comes from & it's history including the history of it's line...It could save you a world of heartache in medical problems & behavior problems....An y dog can be agressive...Bu t in our big dogs choosing carefully can be the difference between having a happy life with your dog & absolute tragedy...If you choose to go with a rescue make sure it is reputable & the dog has been carefully evaluated!!!...Getting a dog with the wrong kind of baggage is like buying a handgun with a faulty safety.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 01:53:39 pm »
I also thought great dane, sure the lifespan is not incredibly long, but its improving.  Atticus has a great uncle that is 12 :)  He does shed, but its not a huge deal.  He also only drools when he has a drink, and thats not really a drool, the water just got caught in his liquid savers. Neither of my danes are aggresive and they LOVE children.  Also at 17 months, Atticus is not high energy.  He loves a good nap and would sleep in until 11am if I let him.  He does well with 2 walks a day and a romp in the park or backyard.  Even if he only gets one walk, there is no complaints.  Cyprus is 18 weeks and even he isnt crazy energy.  He loooves to sleep and even falls asleep in training class.  Hes a clown for sure. 
The more I hear about Danes living 10 plus years the more I like them...They were RIGHT UP TOP when I was choosing a breed & the "average life span" is what made me decide against getting one...It is better than a good chance that there will be a Dane in my life oneday...I just LOVE them!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 06:12:02 pm »
Saints and Newfs definitely fit your first two criteria. My Saint, Riley, is one of the laziest, most easy going puppies I've ever met. The only thing that sparks a bit of craziness in him is his sister, my Lab, Sadie. The funny thing is, she's fairly mellow for a 2-year-old Lab, but compared to a Saint, she's a ball of energy. Danes really do seem to fit all three of your points. I second what someone said earlier about looking into rescue for an adult if you want a lower energy dog.

Offline Halo05

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:09:22 pm »

Sorry to disagree but, the standard for a Fila is "total dislike for strangers and strange animals". They even do Temperment Tests and score on how aggressive they react to a stranger. Being as large, agile and powerful as they are , it may not be a good "family" dog for people who have alot of visitors. Though each dog is different, you can expect some level of aggressiveness from them. We had a Rottie for 6 years before Halo. There is just no comparasion between the protective nature and willingness to defend at all costs.I've heard some Neo's have a very hard "temperment" twords strangers and other animals, even their own. This is just my opinion.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 08:16:03 pm »
What about a greyhound?  Not exactly bigpawed but the males can get to be 70+ pounds.  They do shed but every dog does and as long as you feed a decent food and occasionally take them outside for a good brushing the hair isn't bad.  Ours lived to 13 and I've heard of other living to 15+.  She was awesome with everyone.  She lived to sleep on the couch and she was referred to as the lump on the couch.  Little kids were able to walk her everywhere and I am kicking myself for not doing therapy work with her.   I think a greyhound would definitely meet your requirements.  If you have any questions on them my mom is a wealth of info as she worked for several years at the greyhound track.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 10:35:20 pm »
Ok, this is a shot in the dark, but how about a Scottish Deerhound? :)
They are very calm in the house and are known for being "aware" of their size. They have wirey hair and if you keep them brushed they don't shed much. They are gorgeous and big, and their lifespan is longer than a wolfhound, averaging about 10 years or more. AND this breed is somehow not prone to hip dysplasia like other large/giant breeds.

They are NOT watchdogs, meaning, they love everyone and will let anyone touch them and give them affection. No problems with aggression, and don't expect them to ever act protective of you or your home! They are couch potatoes. They do require long walks and the occasional off leash run in a secure area (since they are sighthounds), but it sounds like you could provide that. And they don't drool.

Perfect!!! ;D

(I recently did a ton of research on like every kind of sighthound known to man!)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:21:58 pm by doghealer »

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 06:27:51 am »
I almost got a Fila and I think they are stunning creatures  but I wanted dogs that could handle all climates and pretty much I have furry filas because of cold winters LOL. Yes 'correct fila's  have a hatred towards strangers definded as Ojeriza, but they arent bred to attack without being provoked,  Yes, they have a shorter fuse and will react quicker but they arent just aggressive.

Aggressive to me is reacting in a hostile manner towards anyone or anything without being provoked a Fila needs to be provoked in order to set them off.

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 08:11:49 am »
There is a wealth of information pouring in.  I read dog books and web sites, but there is nothing like personal opinions to round it out and make it real. 

My kids have been rasied with dogs and are fine-I'm more concerned with strangers out on the street or coming over for visits.  You never know how someone else's kids are going to react and I'm looking for a dog who has a relaxed manner so we could have time to lead away anyone who is not so wonderful. 

I have a couple extra questions I will post separately, but I can never get enough info on temperment, so if there is anything else, please add.

Oh, and thank you for those of you who have also suggested "out there" breeds I have not seriously considered.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 12:17:05 pm »
Great Pyrenees!  The shedding is an issue-also, Binky's fur manages to trap every leaf, twig, clod of dirt in our yard, which will magically fall off as soon as she enters the house!  However,in my experience, Pyrs are pretty mellow, low energy, very little drooling, and love children and other animals.  Binky is very friendy- without being overly so- with people we meet on the street as well as other dogs.  She also has no problem with people comng into the house.  We spent a lot of time socializing her when she was younger and she really enjoys meeting new people and animals.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 02:20:32 pm »
I'm going to toss in my vote for danes, with a caveat or two.
My danes have all been very loving and non agressive to a large extent.  One drooled quite heavily but he had mouth damage due to prior abuse.  The others drooled a little except after the afore-mentioned trips to the water bowls.  They do shed, but it is nothing like the longer coated breeds and will not clog your vaccum.  All of my danes are accustomed to being out in public and in crowds and are comfortable with children and adults approaching them. 
That being said, 2 years and under they are still basically puppies and to a greater or lesser extent do not have full control of their legs and can be quite energetic and somewhat destructive, though that begins to decrease between 1 and 2. 
All of my danes came from rescues and rescue situations and I spent (spend) a lot of time socializing them to other dogs and humans.  That is the key.  Danes can be somewhat aloof and territorial, from what I have seen, if they are not socialized.  I can tell you from experience that my current full-blooded dane is territorial about my car and yard, though only to those he doesn't know and he is fine with them if I am around.  But that is normal dog behavior.
As long as you are willing to make the commitment to socialize and train the dog properly, and put up with a little drool/hair, a dane may be a good fit for you.  Best of luck!
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)