Author Topic: A sign from Rosie...Gardeners HELP!!  (Read 9066 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

A sign from Rosie...Gardeners HELP!!
« on: June 17, 2006, 08:28:01 pm »
K..So I am at the grocey store & I notice their plants are on clearance...I didn't think too much about it for a moment because a gardner I am not...My plants have always had two stages being planted & dead!...Anyway, Istarted to walk into the store & I stop & go back to the plants & there, in the back, is a lonely rose bush...I look closer & guess what...It's a WHITE ROSE bush!...& it's only $5.00!...So, I took this as a sign & bought it...I want to plant it in my "critter garden" where we lay our fur friends to rest & I want to bury Rosie under it. (Well, her ashes because of the circumstances. :'( ) ....Anyway, here is where I need help...Last year I planted another rose bush in the critter garden & it didn't make it...I NEED this one to live!...I know it needs full sun & it is in that spot but only in the afternoon & evening...In the morning our mature trees block the sun in that spot...Can I still plant it there?...Any tips on care?...Also, someone told me to dig the hole for it & use Miracle Grow potting soil in the hole so I can't plant it until tomorrow...Rig ht now it is in a pot...Anything I should do besides water it tonight?...& how much water do roses need?...I just love that I stopped to look at the plants when normally I don't...Remember, my DH named her Rosie because "she was like a beautiful flower that just needed some TLC to bloom". :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: A sign from Rosie...Gardeners HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:41:16 pm »
That is so sweet :'(  Rosie is loving you in such a nice way. I dont know much about a garden but I bet "Rosie" will take care of that one for you.  I love the way they send us the "I'm ok, it's nice here" signs.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:46:38 pm »
I don't know alot about roses, all i can say is that the fertilizing them with the rose specific fertilizer does wonders. Hopefully someone here has a little more help to offer.

SA_horses

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:01:15 pm »
I think that a rosebush would do better with morning sun if it cannot have full sun; if I am remembering correctly, many roses are rather susceptible to black spot (a fungal disease).  Without being in sun to dry off the morning dew quickly, you are going to run into more problems there.

Right by the house here, someone planted a rosebush under a tree, so it is shaded except in the early morning.  It had a pretty bad case of black spot and needed almost all the leaves pruned back, and it was also rather scraggly.  However, it is alive, and it did have a few lovely yellow flowers.

So, I think that while the rosebush might well survive, it probably wouldn't thrive.

Mother knows a lot about roses, so I'll ask her to email you tommorrow.

May God bless you Mrs. Kay,
Sofia

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 09:55:41 pm »
That is so sweet :'(  Rosie is loving you in such a nice way. I dont know much about a garden but I bet "Rosie" will take care of that one for you.  I love the way they send us the "I'm ok, it's nice here" signs.
Lisa, you & I are surely two peas in a pod!...I am sure Rosie sent me that sign & I am fairly certain I'm not crazy! :D

Sofia, Ty for your "God bless you"...It means so much coming from you because I know you mean it deeply & sincerely & I mean it when I say may God bless you & your family also...You are a very kind girl. :)

Ty everyone for the advise...I wouldn't have known about the dew & morning sun & I bet that is what went wrong with my last rosebush...Per haps I will make another pet garden place for my dogs because they are so big...The area I have now really is too small for them & I would of had to expand someday (hopefully MANY years dwon the road) anyway.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:57:05 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 10:26:18 pm »
Hey Gyps,
I don't know anything about how to keep a rose bush alive, but I just want to say that I think it is beautiful for you to plant it and take care of it in memory of Rosie. That is just wonderful. And white roses are so so beautiful, just like miss Rosie was.
 :)

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 07:01:51 am »
When we moved into this house a little more than ten years ago, there was a good sized rose garden right in front of the front porch.   I have never been able to keep plants alive, including cactuses, so I figured the rose garden was doomed.   The front of the house gets ONLY afternoon and evening sun, and we trim the bushes back, right to the ground every fall, just before snow, and even with me caring for them, and NY winters, they are all still doing wonderfully, blooming several times per season, with tons of flowers each time.  We have even had one pink bush and one white bush somehow come together to produce another bush that blooms white roses ringed in pink, and they are the prettiest roses I have ever seen.   The only special treatment these bushes get are coffee grounds (used) are mixed with the soil all summer long, which has made the roses do even better than they did before.

An afterthought-  when the bush is growing during the summer, if you find some "branches" with no buds/blooms reach higher up than the majority of the roses/buds on the plant, cut back those branches with no buds, it will make the flowers themselves do better.   I didn't know this before, but a long-time gardner told me it takes more energy from the plant to support these taller shoots, so the flowers don't get all the support they need.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:08:13 am by Imani's Mom »

Weedsport, NY

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 07:12:57 am »
What a nice way to memorialize Rosie...that sure was a sign from her. I lost my little rotti boy Hogan to HD at 6 months...we didn't have a whole lot of pictures and not a really great frame worthy picture.  A few months after he passed I found a roll of film--didn't know what it was from. Got it developed--there was the most beautiful picture of Hogan on it ;D  I like to believe he helped me find the film roll ;)
I am not any good at making plants thrieve..so i will leave that advise to more expereinced gardners here ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:13:43 am by Icerotti »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 08:42:35 am »
if you find some "branches" with no buds/blooms reach higher up than the majority of the roses/buds on the plant, cut back those branches with no buds, it will make the flowers themselves do better.

Most roses that you get now days are 'grafted roses' and those long shoots are from the root stock down below the graft.  And yep, just keep them nipped off.

As for keeping roses alive, they really do like as much sun as they can get and with air moving through their branches (so don't plant in next to the house).  Miracle Grow is a good soil, so just dig a hole about double the size of the root ball and mix the Miracle Grow in with your regular soil.  (as an old gardener reminded me:  green side up; brown side down :D) It is hard to plant roses in mid summer (that probably why it was on sale) because it's so hot that they have difficultly get the moisture up to their leaves.  It's a gamble, but Rosie will probably help! ;)  Please take a picture of it for us...so we can imagine Rosie in her forever spot.... :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 08:44:45 am by newflvr »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:18 am »
Thanks everyone!...I got alot of good advise & info. from you all!...There is a tag on the pot so I'll look at that this morning & try the Google search!...Ty!...If the bush doesn't thrive I will just figure Rosie hates roses...lol!...She didn't seem to like anything "perfumey" smelling to tell you the truth...I took to not wearing perfume after I saw her pawing at her nose a few times right after I had put some on & I was careful not to get candles & air freshener that was flowery smelling...Oh for the love of the dog! :) I sure miss that crazy rhymes with witch. :D :-\ :'(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 11:00:56 am »
The only special treatment these bushes get are coffee grounds (used) are mixed with the soil all summer long, which has made the roses do even better than they did before.

I tried doing that the Newfs took great joy in eating the coffee grounds and then getting the caffeine zoomies....how do you keep the dogs out?

doggylover

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 12:08:48 pm »
What a nice way to memorialize Rosie...that sure was a sign from her. I lost my little rotti boy Hogan to HD at 6 months...we didn't have a whole lot of pictures and not a really great frame worthy picture.  A few months after he passed I found a roll of film--didn't know what it was from. Got it developed--there was the most beautiful picture of Hogan on it ;D  I like to believe he helped me find the film roll ;)
I am not any good at making plants thrieve..so i will leave that advise to more expereinced gardners here ;)
AWW what a sweet story.  I can't help but think that could happen with Farley too, like two years after he passes (in the FAR off future) you will find a roll of film of him wearing a toga sheet, margarita in hand, Keagan's lampshade on his head...The strangest thing will be that you have NO idea who took the picture!

Gyps,
This is a sign, I'm just SURE.  I don't have any tips on your rose bush, but if God forbid it doesn't make it, remember that there is a cycle in all things.  Run out and get another rosebush for Miss Rosie, and begin again. 
 :D

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 06:40:04 pm »
The only special treatment these bushes get are coffee grounds (used) are mixed with the soil all summer long, which has made the roses do even better than they did before.

I tried doing that the Newfs took great joy in eating the coffee grounds and then getting the caffeine zoomies....how do you keep the dogs out?

My dogs don't go out in front other than to get in the truck, so they don't have the opportunity to get to the coffee grounds, OR the roses

Weedsport, NY

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 08:07:29 pm »
I got it planted & I put it where I wanted it which isn't full sun all the time but I hope Rosie will have a paw in keeping it alive. :) I pricked myself pretty good on one of the thorns & swore at Rosie affectionatly, (OUCH you crazy rhymes with witch"! :D :D ...I will get a pic tomorrow & post it...I did add a secret ingredient...I heard bunny poo is fabulous fertilizer & I have two house bunnies in a large run in the basement & a shopvac that is just for bunny poo left outside the litterbox & the shopvac was about due to be emptied ssssssssoooooo oooooooooooooo oo ::)...lol!...She always wanted to eat those darn bunnies & I wouldn't let her...I hope she sees the humor there. :D ...Now ya' all keep fingers crossed my white Rosie bush thrives!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 07:29:52 am »
I've never planted roses myself, but when we moved into this house it had a flower garden. I was like what am I going to do? I guess everything just knows when to grow and if it gets enough water I don't have to worry. Our rose bushes are huge! Hopefully yours will grow beautifully. I'm sure Rosie will love them!