Siberian Huskies > Siberian Husky Discussions

Training my Husky to not run away...

<< < (3/11) > >>

jabear:
Good Luck with the trainng. My sister-in-law has a Husky named Kobe who is always doign that too. He is almost 3, I think, and is a handful. Best wishes from Bear who has sat patiently many times while we waited and searched for Kobe.

mastiffmommy:
Jamie.... Bear is just too cool. Does he ever get crazy like most dogs or is he just a super cool guy the whole time?? Is your SIL here on this board too???

Marit

SaraphWolf79:
Hiya everybody!  I'm new here, and came across this post and thought I was reading my own story there  ;)  I recently adopted my Husky Nanook from the pound about two months ago, and unfortunately, if he can get the chance to take off, he will.  He's already ran off three times now (the first time, he pushed open the gate and ran off, the second time, my roommate had the windows open and he pushed the screen right off and jumped through...the third time was just the other day, I was taking him to the vet and had his leash around my arm but somehow lost my grip and he took off)  what a funny sight, me chasing him down the road, the faster I ran to catch him, the faster he would run! 

If I could just get him to quit running, he'd be the perfect dog.  Also, is it in the breed's nature to never bark?  Mine to this day never has - only howls. 

-Carrie 

irinad83:
I have a 8 month old Siberian-crazy crazy little dog, independant, a darn teenager! Its so much work to get him to listnen lol, but when he does its like Christmas for me :)
I have read alot of books on Huskies and every single one of'em says-do not trust your husky off leash, no matter how long you've had them or how good they are, its in their nature to run and run and run and..you get the point, thats what they were bred to do, and trust me I know how frusterating it is! I think the best thing is to make sure they are always in a safe area.
I have heard of some people "brave enough" to have their husky off leash when walking, but i'm told its not a good idea.
They are stubbord, too smart, but isnt it part of the fun with them :)
Anyway, I'm sorry I dont have any good advise for you, I wish I knew how to get him to listen to me too :)
Have fun with your husky!

GYPSY JAZMINE:
I wish i knew the answer to that!...Samson is a Pyr & Pyrs tend to expand their bounderies so we just put up a fence so now we can enjoy Samson without having to worry...That is until he realizes someday that the fence is  jumpable & climable. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version