Author Topic: She forgot to get in line...  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
She forgot to get in line...
« on: June 20, 2006, 09:34:34 am »
...when they handed out BRAINS in heaven!!! I love my little girl but she is SUCH a donkey! Sadie decided to eat a Mercury thermometer this Sunday. I don't even know how she got it since it's been in the back of the closet in the bathroom for months. Thankfully the cover was still on, but the thing was broken right in half. So we rush to the vet where they do an x-ray to see if they can see the mercury. Nothin'. They said it's actually not as harmful when ingested as it is when it's inhaled, but pumped her full of charcoal just to be on the safe side. There've been some interesting poos since then, let me tell you. She's absolutely fine, and the x-rays actually looked great in terms of her joints which made me relieved. What's funny is that she did this on a little area rug in the living room, which was good in terms of cleanup. But I called the Health Department because the vet said she didn't think you could just throw Mercury away and they could've cared less! They still haven't gotten back to me about what to do with the rug. It's in the garage right now in a tupperware container and about 9 million trashbags. If I have radioactive children or something in a few years or if Sadie starts glowing in the dark - I'm gonna be pi$$ed. Anyone have any experience in this area, or is my dog the only dope who likes to eat toxic elements?

Puppyhood is such a blessed time isn't it  :P

Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: She forgot to get in line...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:58:29 am »
What a naughty girl!  Don't worry mercury isn't radioactive (so she won't glow) it's just a heavy metal and therefore poisonous as the body can't process it. If she hasn't had any issues and it didn't show on xrays she should be fine.  I don't think she ingested enough to harm her if there was still alot on the carpet as thermometers don't have much in them.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:39:25 am »
Like Erin said not to much to worry about as far as ingestion. It is something that builds up over time. Big concern is the vapor, seal the garbage bag with duct tape and call your community sanitarian or possibly a local fire department to ask how to dispose of it in Lowell. Also if your keeping it in your garage for now don't spend any time in there until you can air it out. The Health department was obviously a dead end. I think the fire department is probably going to be your best bet for an answer.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 11:46:37 am »
Glad Tim and Erin could help with the mercury as I'm clueless but I did want to commiserate with you on the puppy thing.  It is amazing that so many dogs survive to adulthood.  I feel the same way about one of my kids too.  It is amazing that he's still alive.  Trouble just seems to jump on some dogs and kids.  That is Eider too.  We never figured out what caused his first poisoning but the second this past week was clear as day - he followed a kid into the basement and got into some rat poisoning.  Called the vet, induced vomiting and he's back to as normal as Eider ever gets!  Don't beat yourself up!  There's only so many things you can forsee happening.  Sometimes some of these puppers just get into stuff that you had forgotten was even there.
Daphne

chaosndestruction

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 12:47:28 pm »
The parents dog and Keela's mommy, Arisha got into a whole huge bottle of cattle wormer when she was younger.  She didn't get sick but I don't think we had to worry about worms for a while! :P

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 01:07:52 pm »
Hi,

Silly Sadie, :-\ The white paws must of gotten her thinking of a nursing career  :P  Well Winslow is glad to hear she is al right.

Here is a Mercury re-cycling link.

http://www.wastecap.org/wastecap/commodities/mercury/mercury.htm

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 01:13:21 pm »
Yikes! Glad everythings okay. When the pups were 4-5 months old we temporarily moved into a friends house/junkyard. We caught Daisy lapping up radiator fluid...luckil y it was watered down and she didn't get much in her system. We were horrified! That crazy girl has a strong stomach. I wonder how many things they have ingested that I don't know about.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 01:30:04 pm »
Hi,

Silly Sadie, :-\ The white paws must of gotten her thinking of a nursing career  :P  Well Winslow is glad to hear she is al right.

Here is a Mercury re-cycling link.

http://www.wastecap.org/wastecap/commodities/mercury/mercury.htm

Rich

Thanks Tim and Erin for reassuring me that I will neither have radioactive children or a dog that glows in the dark ;). Rich this link is great. There's actually a company right in Lowell that will pick up thermometers. I have to call them and see if they'll take it even though it's broken though. She's something else, I tell you. She scared me to death. I thought for sure that was gonna be the end of her! A few million dollars later, she's just fine  ::)
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 02:05:20 pm »
I am glad that she is alright but I tink it would be kinda cool if she glowed in the dark.  ;D Just think, you'd never need a flashlight on night time potty walks.  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 02:13:37 pm »
I am glad that she is alright but I tink it would be kinda cool if she glowed in the dark.  ;D Just think, you'd never need a flashlight on night time potty walks.  :D

LOL! Good point, I didn't even think of that. She could be like that toy GloWorm they had when I was a kid! It lit up when you squeezed it. Any one remember those? Sadie the GloNewf. I like it ;)
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 02:14:13 pm »
That sounds so cute...Sadie the GloNewf!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 02:14:42 pm »
LMAO!!!!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 02:22:54 pm »
Poor Sadie, I bet she was in line for a brain and Angus distracted her from he bushes the last second when he showed up to trade his brain in.......... his had a manufacturers defect. :D

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 02:29:56 pm »
Poor Sadie, I bet she was in line for a brain and Angus distracted her from he bushes the last second when he showed up to trade his brain in.......... his had a manufacturers defect. :D

So I have ANGUS to thank for this? Thanks pal. Actually, she's very smart, but ONLY when it comes to evil things. Perhaps Sadie wound up with Angus's defective brain by accident? ;D
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 04:00:05 pm »
Puppyhood is such a blessed time isn't it...

Melissa and I have this conversation every night :) 

It has its ups and downs, they sure do keep us on our toes. Glad sadie is ok and didn't hurt herself.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€