Author Topic: Another skin question  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Another skin question
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:24:07 pm »
OK, here's Bella's food and etc.  She has been on Solid Gold Wolf King for a month or longer.  I also add Solid Gold vitamins and minerals to her meal.  She takes Brewer's Yeast daily, and also takes Benadryl as needed because she gets what looks like heat rash when she is outside for longer than 5 minutes (veterinarian says just usual outdoor allergies).  I bathe her once per week with an Oatmeal shampoo to soothe her skin.
She has had off and on dry, flaky skin for the last two to three months.  Now, it seems to be getting worse.  I can even see little bald patches under her hair when she is in the right light.  I've looked at them close and they just look like dry patches about the size of a pencil eraser.  What to do???  I'm wondering if Bella's food just may not be for her.  She began life eating Purina One for Large breeds and seemed to be fine on that, but I thought she may need a better food.  Help, I need advice for my next step. ??? ???
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Another skin question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:42:47 pm »
I am by no means an aficionado of food.  Perhaps what Bella needs is not in the Solid Gold.  I used to give Jack fish oil pills for his coat.  They worked well.  We recently switched him to a new kibble and his coat is lovely.  No need for the fish oil.

Good luck.

Tina
Yes, I wondering about that.  I need to find the link again to the lists of good foods.  If Purina One is on there, I'm considering changing back to see how she does.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 07:30:01 pm »
Oh my, now I'm gonna sound like a snob.  But Purina is not a quality food.  But having said that, if she does well on it, who am I to say if it's good for her or not.  Purina has lots of fillers and un-necessary chemicals.

No, you don't sound like a snob.  I feel the same way, but I guess that I'm grasping for straws to get her skin back looking and feeling good.  Price doesn't scare me, just as long as I can get it here and not have to have it shipped. 
If anyone has suggestions for a food that is good for dry, flaky skin, please let me know.  I'm debating with myself right now of what to try next.  For all I know, it may not be her food, but I have to give that a try first.

Oh, by the way Tina, what did you switch Jack to??
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:31:40 pm by Bella's mom »

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:34:24 pm »
Many people don't agree with raw food diet, but in my experience it has been a miracle.  Badger had oozing ouchys on his neck and poof they disappeared after we switched him to raw only.  His ONGOING ear problems also vanished...jus t a thought.
OH, and I am a HUGE food snob!
 :D ;)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 07:40:05 pm »
We switched Cinder and Kaila and now Shiner over to Natural Balance Ultra Premium.  I get it at Petco.  Once they were on it awhile their coats improved a lot.  They look and feel much better to me.  I also just recently got a mix package of Merrick canned food to add over the Natural Balance.  I haven't seen any difference yet.  I hope that helps.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:09:47 pm »
Has Bella been checked for hypothyroidism? Apparently, this can cause cronic skin problems.

Oreo was tested and treated for hypothyroidism last year after months of skin problems. I think the same thing, overall flaky skin and flaky patches where the hair falls out in circles. He was originally treated with antibiotics and benedryl with no effect until we had him tested for hypothyroidism . He now takes Soloxine for the thyroid problem. His skin problems slowed, but still persisted. We eventually changed food to Pinnacle's Trout & Sweet Potato formula and haven't had any more skin problems. I believe it was an allergy to wheat or chicken or something in his original food (which he was on for 4 years with no problems), but I guess I'll never know for sure.

It looks like Bella's food is really good so I wouldn't guess it to be that which is why I ask about the thyroid issue.

Jason

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:10:57 pm »
The dry patches where the hair is coming out...They're not red are they?...For some reason I thought of ringworm. :-\

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:51:50 pm »
The dry patches where the hair is coming out...They're not red are they?...For some reason I thought of ringworm. :-\
Nope, not red at all.  When Bella first started this problem, I took her to the vet.  Like I said, he just said that it was typical outdoor allergies.  That was before the little spots appeared where the hair has thinned out.  I'm going to give it a little while longer and if I don't see improvement, I'll see if he thinks that it's hypothyroidism .
About the food options, my vet is really great.  Before I put her on Solid Gold, I brought a sample pack to him to read the ingredients.  He thought that it was a great food.  (Especially because it had no wheat)  They have never tried to push any of the foods that they carry, so I don't have to worry about that.

OK, check this out.  I just snapped a couple of photos.  It looks even worse on my baby in the flash. :(  I think I need to go ahead and let her be seen by the vet.  Does anyone know what this looks like????
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 10:02:07 pm by Bella's mom »

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 09:55:35 am »
The bare patches on Oreo were bigger than that eventually. Sometimes they would be about an inch or so in diameter. Does the skin on these patches get scab-like and then flake off with the hair? Any change in demeanor or energy?

I trust my vet a good bit, but they were very hit an miss with this problem. We did a variety of tests looking for ringworm, low thyroid, etc. I'm glad I went though all the tests to rule everything out, but in the end, daily observation and trial and error prevailed.

Oh, I almost forgot... are you giving Bella any treats? If they are dog treats, check the labels on these very carefully for possible allergic ingrediants. If they are people food, I guess the same applies. You would be amazed at what contains wheat.

Jason

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 12:48:52 pm »
Hi,

Most of the premium brands have "allergy sesitive " varities. Usually they contain 1 protien source "fish, Duck, turkey, or bison" and rice, sweet potatoe or oats and a few essential vitamins. You can try one of the allergy sensitive foods and start eliminating sources for the reaction.

There is always boiled rice and add a protien like one of those mentioned above until Bella seems to clear up then add in things until you find what sets her off.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:49:48 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:06:29 pm »
Of all things, I received a quarterly publication in the mail from my vet, and what does it have in there???  An article about hypothyroidism, the signs, symptoms, pictures, etc.  I think that I can rule that out.  She's only 11 months old, and at that age she would have had to be born with a congenital abnormality (usually it takes at least a year for the thyroid to be destroyed by the body's immune system).  She would be a dwarf if she was born with it.  She's normal size.
It must be an allergy.  I already have an appointment for her Monday to get it checked out, but in the mean time I'm going to cut out the vitamin supplements and the Brewer's yeast just to see if there is any difference.  I'm suspecting that this began when I started supplementing the Solid Gold.  Could the vitamins be causing this?
I understand about trying not to bathe too frequently, but how can you stand a smelly dog for 4-6 weeks?  I had a mini schnauzer who was just the opposite, for example.  If I did not bathe her every two to three days with her medicated shampoo, I would have to put her on Prednisone for her allergies.