Author Topic: my new freebie  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
my new freebie
« on: June 20, 2006, 02:58:45 pm »
hey all! i figured you all might share some help!  i aquired a fiberglass pond shell today!  at work there was this big pond in the dumpster, so i snagged it (with the help of another coworker!) and we figured we can make it a little pool for fumble, one that he can't destroy!  well.... my question is does anyone have any tips on how to install it, keep it clean for cheap??? i mean can i install a pipe and then drain it when i need to and refill it when it needs to be cleaned??? i was just hoping for maybe some creative suggestions!! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

doggylover

Re: my new freebie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:24:42 pm »
I would suggest you go to a pond shop and get the necesary parts to do this the correct way.  I am ALL for makeshifting stuff on the cheap, but you may find that it isn't that much more spendy to do it with the store bought parts.  If it is really spendy, you can 'steal' the pond shop's ideas and get an excellent idea of what exactly is needed (for you to then make yourself).  Sometimes you can look at the thing in the store and it is pretty clear how to build that thing yourself!
YAY fumbs!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:03:17 pm »
Only suggestion I have is make sure either you bury it or you support the edges w/ bricks, you could hide the bricks with rocks or something to make it look nicer if you wanted to, but the edges are kinda fragile on some of them and fumble seems like a wild-child :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 06:13:06 pm »
The pond shop is a great idea to see what they say.  I've also known people to use a sump pump to clean out these kinds of ponds.  You'll probably need to either put it into the ground or build something up around it to support it and make it easier for him to get in.  Building around it MIGHT make it easier for frequent cleanings.
Daphne

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:09:47 pm »
You could also use a waterbed pump. We got ours at Home Depot for around $40.00. If you attach a hose to it you can drain a small pool in about an hour or so and never lift a bucket.
Stella

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:25:35 pm »
You could also use a waterbed pump. We got ours at Home Depot for around $40.00. If you attach a hose to it you can drain a small pool in about an hour or so and never lift a bucket.
Stella
AWESOME IDEA!!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 03:52:06 am »
Stella
AWESOME IDEA!!

i agreE!!!  awesome idEA!!  i had a waterbed i long time ago, i wonder if we had one and it's hiding somewherE!  :P
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 03:47:46 pm »
post some pics of the shell and I will post some ideas tonight when I get back from puppy class.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 11:17:12 am »
WELL... apparently! stacy found out from one of her friends at work, that dogs really shouldn't have fiberglass pools because if they scratch them (dig, which fumble does A LOT of) then they can scratch the liner and get fiberglass on their paws... which we really don't want! so now my new free purchase looks like it's either going to the dump or out in the front yard with a free sign on it!  looks like fumble will have to suffice with his little kiddie pool thath e's alreay put a hole in from digging to save the water from being let out!  lol!

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:52:55 am »
Cool!  I think if we all put our heads together, we can get this Fumble pool to work.  There is also a spray on liner that truck companies use in pickup beds.  I wonder if you could get some of that and spray the heck outa the pond!

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 11:57:30 am »
WELL... apparently! stacy found out from one of her friends at work, that dogs really shouldn't have fiberglass pools because if they scratch them (dig, which fumble does A LOT of) then they can scratch the liner and get fiberglass on their paws... which we really don't want! so now my new free purchase looks like it's either going to the dump or out in the front yard with a free sign on it! 

Ho about getting some heavy duty polythene and lining the pool with that, it should protect fumbles paws and make cleaning easier - the sort they use as a damp proof under concrete floors would be good.

Andy
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 01:54:54 pm »
We have two easy options to save this pool one is get a can or two of the cheap HD sprayon liner for truck beds or #2 which I like better is find a piece of heavy rubber and trim it to fit the bottom. Post some pics we can make this work.

doggylover

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 01:57:23 pm »
Oh wow I have another idea.  Put boxing gloves on the Fumbs when he goes in the pool!  You could prolly get four of them cheap on ebay!