Author Topic: About fostering...is it fair?  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
About fostering...is it fair?
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:13:23 pm »
Hi,
I have been thinking about fostering dogs and cats for our local shelter.  I would love to give some poor animal a second chance and would love to have a few more dogs or cats around.  BUT, I don't know if I could give them up, even to a great home. 
Is fostering fair to an animal?  I just don't know if it's right to take a dog from the shelter, give him a great home, get him used to our family and then move him to another home.  Also, what about the affect on our animals- will they think that any one of them could be taken for a ride and never come home again?  Am I just being too human about this?  What do you think?  Foster people, how do you let them go?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

doggylover

Re: About fostering...is it fair?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 06:23:35 pm »
Hi,
I have been thinking about fostering dogs and cats for our local shelter.  I would love to give some poor animal a second chance and would love to have a few more dogs or cats around.  BUT, I don't know if I could give them up, even to a great home. 
Is fostering fair to an animal?  I just don't know if it's right to take a dog from the shelter, give him a great home, get him used to our family and then move him to another home.  Also, what about the affect on our animals- will they think that any one of them could be taken for a ride and never come home again?  Am I just being too human about this?  What do you think?  Foster people, how do you let them go?
I think it takes a very unique/special person to do fosters.  You have to really know yourself, whether you can let go...and H3LL yes I think it's 'fair', you are saving an animal's life!  They will only be helped by the foster situation. 
I couldn't do it, I would end up in an animal zoo...
 :D

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 06:26:59 pm »
We foster currently have 1 dog and 3 cats in our foster care. Personally I find it very rewarding to do it. Dudley(the dog) was found almost hit by a car, he went to the HS but then went Kennel Crazy, right now he very happy in a home environment. We love him and I work with him on training. I know he'll be just as happy in another home as this one, especially if their active. Sometimes it's very hard to give up the pet, but just think of the person that will love them and give them all the time they need. I know if we kept all the animals it wouldn't be fair for any of them. You should definitely start fostering! I love getting to know each and every dog and learn new things about the breeds that pass through here.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 06:27:20 pm »
Well, I failed on my first one.   ;D (Baloo) And now there's Mozart.  I got Mozart knowing I would keep him if need be but I also know that he's supposed to be going somewhere else.  I think if you keep telling yourself it's for the animals, you can do it and stay sane.  Yes, it rips your guts out when it's time for them to go but at the same time you know you've done something wonderful and you've made a difference in several lives. 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 06:30:22 pm »
I know that if I did foster care I would have trouble letting go too... But, I would much rather see an animal in a loving home that they have to leave than a shelter. And I would especially prefer to see them in a foster home than living in a shelter that euthanizes dogs that aren't adopted
RIP former BPO

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 06:43:09 pm »
I have my first foster puppy right now.  I have to say that I thought about all the possibilities before I started this.  I will say that there are moments that I am very tempted to keep the little knothead.  I don't know what will happen but I plan on fostering again even if I keep Shiner.  I say if you are thinking about it and want to do it then give it a try.  The worse that can happen is you find out that it's not for you and your family.  The best that can happen is you help an animal find a new home and love.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 07:13:25 pm »
On our very first foster dog we were foster failures & despite the heartbreaking outcome I wouldn't have changed it for the world...Right now Im not sure if I will foster again but only because of our tragic outcome with our sweet Rosie...If things had gone differently though & we had not decided to keep her & she would have been placeable I know I would have been satisfied & happy that I gave her the help she needed to make someone a good companion...De spite everything it is wonderful to take a diamond in the rough (or ruff should I say?) & shine them up to be a beautiful gem!...Sam & Pippin loved Rosie & she was good for them in so many ways so I don't think it's unfair to the resident pets...Also, it definitly is more than fair to the foster...It gives them a chance they might not have had otherwise...Ju st make sure any fosters you take in are carefully evaluated before you agree to take them into your home...Rosie never did make it into official Kuvasz Rescue so she didn't get the evaluation she should have...She came from a very small & underfunded shelter where they are doing everything they can just to care for the animals there...Lastly, I don't think the resident animals think they might go for a ride & never come back...Honestl y Sam & Pippin haven't seemed to miss Rosie at all...But I really wonder if sometimes they know things that we don't...I hope this helps. :)

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 07:55:29 pm »
We have fostered cats and dogs (and various other strange beasts) for about the last ten years, probably a bit more.  My most recent foster was a failure on my part, but there is a reason... I will get back to that in a minute.  Anyway, when you begin fostering, you need to realize that not every critter and person will bond as well as others do.   When you have fostered somebody back to health and they are ready to go, hopefully you will be able to meet the prospective adopters, and help to figure out what exactly that particular critter needs in a forever home- ie. kids vs no kids, only pet vs houseful of furry siblings, etc.  And with you having spent so much time with the foster, you will know them better than anyone, which would help with placement- s/he likes this or that, eats this brand of food better, likes to lay in the sun in the afternoon, etc.  All the important stuff, when it comes to fitting in with a new family.

Now, back to my most recent foster/failure... I have had dozens of foster dogs in my home and heart for many years.  In some ways, I bonded with each one, but also knew that they would be moving on, and needed training, etc. before being placed.   I had no problem letting them go to their new homes, because I knew there were many more out there in need of that level of care, and if I kept the current one, I would not be able to help the others who so desperately needed a second chance at life, and most likely they would have been PTS for lack of space/foster homes.   My most recent foster, Jesse, is the first foster we have taken in in about 2 years, due to my health issues, and the fact that we now have two mastiffs.  We knew our next dog would be a male brindle mastiff, and we were actively looking for one.   When I got the call about Jesse, the understanding at the time was that we would do what we could for him, and had the option to keep him if he turned out to be what we wanted in a male mastiff.  If we didn't bond with him, his personality didn't fit with the girls,  or any of a million other factors, I would be responsible for his placement, as I would be the one who knows him and his needs and personality.  So, we picked him up, as a small bundle of skin and bones curled into a ball and shaking like a leaf, afraid of everyone and everything, and brought him home.   When he finally started to trust us, and started to come out of his shell, he blossomed into a wonderful pup who just needed training, food, love, food, and love and more food.   He gets along well with my girls, he wants to be with us all the time, no matter where we are or what we are doing, and he is just totally a wonderful boy.  He has the energy and drive to join agility classes, and the intelligence to join hubby in SAR training.  I honestly don't think he would do well in another home, as he has been here just 4 weeks, finally has learned to trust us, and shows his love constantly, but moving him again may set him back to where he was just a few short weeks ago.  As for whether or not we take in another foster at a later date, who knows.  I might, I might not.  Depends on a lot of factors, such as whether I can physically handle more than what we already have or not, but it would be a guarantee that any future fosters will move on to new homes in the end.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 10:17:24 pm »
Ahhhh.... fostering. ::) Go for it. It you can handle it, you will help critters in need and you will feel SO SO SO good about it. If you can't handle it, you will end up with wonderful new family members and there is NOTHING wrong with that!!!! Every day I thank my lucky stars that we kept Turkey. When one is supposed to stay with you, you will know it.  :)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 10:33:28 pm »
Hummmmm,
Foster a dog, or;
leave it at the shelter to be put to sleep.

Kinda makes it a "no brainer"

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 05:27:12 am »
Hummmmm,
Foster a dog, or;
leave it at the shelter to be put to sleep.

Kinda makes it a "no brainer"

Yes it is. I believe it is extremely important to have animals placed in homes to avoid potential behavior and medical problems that can develop in a shelter. Many shelters simply do not have the volunteer "hands on resourses" that can help these animals to be placed sucessfully.

If you have the time and the space, do it!

Deena

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 07:07:07 am »
Fostering can be wonderful for so many of the reasons people have already written about so well!  You can really contribute a lot in training, get to know the dog and thus help identify what kind of home it would thrive in, keep it from the stress of the pound, etc. 

Imani's Mom, I don't see your Jesse as a failure at all!  You took him as a foster knowing there was the potential that you'd keep him.  That is one of the side benefits of fostering.  If you run across a dog that you don't want to live without, you usually have the option to keep it.  Nothing wrong with that at all unless you get in over your head and end up with 30-40 dogs like some dog collectors get.

I've only fostered once - when our local rescue group was overwhelmed with dogs when a lady with a lot of Pyrs ended up in a hospital for many months.  It was a joy to have Sydney here but it was also wonderful to send her back to an owner who loved her and who she loved.  My kids did seem to have a hard time keeping the focus that she'd be going back, probably because at one point they didn't know whether the owner would survive and the question arose as to whether or not we'd want to keep Syd.
Daphne

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 09:48:14 am »

To Foster or Not to Foster....that is the question.

I can only share with you my experience; some good, some bad but for the most part very rewarding.  We have been foster failures once (so far with Scooter).  I’m sure there will be others in the future. 

Our shelter is a high kill shelter so getting them out is always the best option, both for their mental and physical health. 

Now on to the discussion of rescue.  I would do a great deal of research in this area before you get involved with ANY organization.  Rescue can be VERY political and full of personalities that don't mix.  Some are very rigid in their adoption requirements some go to the other extreme.  Make sure you know who you are and what your goals and expectations are.  Perfect example would be will the rescue you get involved with allow a family without a fence adopt?  What if the prospective family has had to surrender a family pet in the past?  There are many situations that will arise and it's a good idea to know where you stand and where the rescue stands.

One of my biggest problems is when an animal is being surrendered.  The bottom line....I can't be there.  I'm very opinionated and can't for the life of me keep my mouth shut.  One of my strong points is doing home visits.  I believe I have a way of getting people to open up and not have them feel like they have to be someone they are not.  I also feel that educating prospective guardians is key to any permanent placement.  I am open-minded and feel that exceptions can/should be made; however there are those rescues out there that will not allow this.

I think getting involved is GREAT.  If you are unable to foster there are many other "jobs" that need to be done.  I would contact several organizations in your area and find out what is needed; whether it's transporting, home visits, fostering, vet visits, record keeping, fund raising....the jobs are endless and the people to do them are far too few.

I say GO FOR IT!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 10:28:40 am »
Yes. When your first foster dog leaves your house to go to its new family it will rip your heart out. However, it will also be the most rewarding feeling in the world to know you saved a life. You were responsible for taking a throw away dog that someone decided that couldn't live with and creating a life-long pet that someone else couldn't live without.

And, when that one leaves, you get the opportunity to do it all over again. Some fosters are easier to let go of than others, but you always have to keep in mind that if you adopt your foster, you have less time and room to save another. If you keep that space open, in no time at all you can save hundreds of lives.

Go for it! And kudos to you for asking for the pros and cons and thinking everything through before jumping into it. It is a big responsibility . You will lose sleep, money, time and your carpets will get peed on, your favorite shoes will get chewed, the fur factor will dramatically increase, your dogs will get jealous and there will be fights for attention and/or food, but you will never feel better and will be rewarded with unconditional love and lots of doggie kisses.

And, we're all here to support you and help with any questions you might have along the way.

Good Luck and Go for it!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 05:31:14 pm »
I agree, fostering is so rewarding.  Out of about 40 dogs/puppies I've fostered, I've only kept three-Waylon, Willy, and Molly and have lost 5 (one puppy I obtained with parvo because the owners wouldn't treat him and I got him too late, despite treatment, he died, the others had to be euthanized due to health or behavioral problems) 

Waylon and Willy stayed because they were adopted and returned and then both were supposed to be adopted again, but it feel through, so I figured they were meant to be mine.  Molly had so many health problems when she came to me that after she was nursed through those (severe hair loss due to lack of care, hip surgery (FHO) to correct a dislocated and displastic hip, and heartworm treatment which nearly did her in) I couldn't part with her.

I've currently got three fosters, one of which I'm certain is staying.  Not because I want him, but because I can't adopt him out with a good conscious.  He was adopted once and retured for snapping at and nipping a few different people.  Normally, I wouldn't have even considered keeping an aggressive dog, but he's not aggressive towards me or my family, so if I don't keep him, I'd have to euthanize him.  If he were truly aggressive, then I'd without a doubt send him to the bridge, but I see no reason for that right now.

Anyway, getting back on topic, fostering is very rewarding for both you and the animal you are fostering.  Sure, it is hard to let them go, and it may be a bit confusing for the animal, but most dogs and cats are very adaptable, after a few days in a new home, they settle in like they've been there all their lives.  With fostering, you are taking in an animal to either rehabilitate-health or behaviorally, or simply because you find it in need of some TLC or the shelter has run out of room.  You are saving a life, either directly by pulling that animal from a shelter, or indirectly by preventing that animal from going into a shelter and allowing that space to be filled by another needy animal.

Fostering if you can handle it emotionally, is very fair.
Emily and the gang