Author Topic: Best Big Dog (or little) dog breeds for kids and cats  (Read 2929 times)

Offline keziahamber

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Best Big Dog (or little) dog breeds for kids and cats
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:18:56 pm »
I posted a few months back. Still doing research. Would like imput on the best dog breeds for kids and cats by breed characteristic .  My is is 7 years old, and very animal smart & gentle.  My son is however, high energy.  I'm looking for a dog breed that is eager to please, and relatively easy to potty train.  I've owned german shepards, golden retreiver, chow, and 2 little black mutts.  The big dogs were always easier than the little ones, and easier to depend on.  The dog would be with me all the time and provide me companionship when my husband is at work, and son is at school.  I live in the suburbs/city area.  Lots of parks and places to walk.

Jody
swontariodiva@yahoo.ca if you know of a breeder in Windsor Ontario area, rescue, or specific dog.

Offline keziahamber

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Best Big Dog (or little) dog breeds for kids and cats
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 05:20:37 pm »
P.S. Hair I can handle with grooming, bathing... My husband is a little sqweemish on drool.  I'd just like to be able to train down stay when we're eating to prevent the I'm soooo hungry drool river.

Yaz

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 05:53:26 pm »
Hi Jody,
Not sure if I answered your other post before, but I have done a fair amount of research on the best dog breeds for kids and other pets, and had a short list we chose from. Like you, I have owned various dog breeds, large and small, and found the larger ones a bit more trustworthy with small children. We have a four year old high energy boy, a two 1/2 year old little girl, a 17 month old toddler and I am expecting number four in January. We needed a dog that would be okay with my son's high energy level - meaning, a dog that would not feed off of it (like a boxer or a lab), but would be calm and tolerant. We live in the suburbs, close to Toronto, and I wanted a dog that would be cool with walking the little ones to preschool, but not needing a ton of exercise on top of that (like an Aussie or a beagle).

We chose a Saint Bernard, although a Bullmastiff would have been our first choice if they were a less dominant breed (the rule for dominant breeds is that you should only aquire one when the youngest child in the house is able to give it commands. There are many dogs that are the exception to this rule, but with three little ones we didn't want to take a chance).

We needed a dog with a STABLE, CALM tempermant, and our Saint has not let us down. He does drool, not incessantly, just when drinking, waiting for a treat or had a good romp. But, I will not down play the drool. It does not bother me because I keep one cloth for him and one for the baby in my pockets at all times. I think once you bond with your puppy, things like drool do not bother you , in the same way there are habits our kids have that would drive us nuts if they were not our kids.

Anyways, if you want a BIG dog, a Saint is great, but there are quite a few smaller large dogs that would suit your purpose, depending on the energy level you are looking at, the maintenance you want to put in, the money you want to spend, etc.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 07:45:33 pm »
I have to agree. I would honestly say that Saint Bernards are in just my opinion the best dogs for kids, cats, houses, and people in general. My Dolly is the best thing that has ever walked into my life. But that's just what I think! Good luck in your search!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 07:56:51 pm »
My short list for you to consider (in no order) would be Saint Bernard, Newf, English Bulldog.  I am also very partial to Rottweilers.  They are known for being very good with children (we knew a guy whose rott would spend the entire night going to the 3 kid's rooms, to check on them while they slept) they are typically smart, medium to low energy (usually).  They can be good with cats, with proper training.  And they usually don't drool a ton.  The big drawbacks are that they require a firm leader (not harsh, or physically strong, but very 'calm assertive'), and that they tend to be velcroe dogs.  You can pretty much forget about ever going potty without an audience again. 

Hope this helps. 

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 09:24:51 am »
My vote goes to the Great Dane ;D.  Tonka will be a year old this month and is wonderful with my 4 yr old and in love with my 5 month old.

We had 2 cats that he would play with (I won't say the cats enjoyed it, but they weren't dog lovers haha) and he never tried to hurt them.  (The cats were later given to a good friend of mine when I was pregnant and my husband left for Afghanistan :'(....I was afraid of the litter and the auto boxes kept breaking. ???)

Anyways, I think I you would be pleased with any of the dogs that have been suggested.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:47:22 am »
I second the newf and saints.  Newfs are very gentle with kids and Kali can be a little mean to the kitties but she mainly tries to play and they don't appreciate it.  A bib or towel around their necks helps on the drool factor.  If you don't mind a high energy dog I'd suggest a Setter....if raised around cats they are fine.  Irish tend to be neurotic but I love them.  English and Gordons tend to be more laid back.  They are very willing to please and intelligent.  Umm I'll try to think of more breeds for you.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 10:04:18 am »
I'd reiterate the votes for Newfs and Saints. Sadie is instinctively amazing with kids, cats, and little dogs. She will lay down immediately, no idea why. Parents in pet stores always comment on how calm and gentle she is (I wait till they walk away to LMAO  ;) )She's a total spaz in every other way. Also a great family dog (if you can find a good breeder) is the Golden Retriever. I grew up with them and my dog Kerry who passed over the bridge 5 years ago was a once in a lifetime dog. My godchildren are triplets and when they were babies they would climb all over him and he loved every second of it. My godson actually took his first steps while hanging onto Kerry. (I'll have to find the pics of that). We never had cats with him, but my parents Golden, Bailey, is fine with my cats. He's not particularly interested in them unless they approach him and then it's just a casual sniff.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 10:21:45 am »
NEWFS!