Author Topic: A VERY VERY GOOD NUTRITION SITE FOR LARGE-GIANT DOGS  (Read 4244 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
A VERY VERY GOOD NUTRITION SITE FOR LARGE-GIANT DOGS
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:10:33 pm »
We always have threads going on about feeding and weight and problem stomach. I have time after time reffered to Linda Arndt as my guru when it comes to feeding. I turned to her many years ago when I had and bred danes in Sweden. She is wonderful and extremely helpful. And she has sooo much experience and knowledge in feeding our giant dogs.

Here is her website

http://www.greatdanelady.com/

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: A VERY VERY GOOD NUTRITION SITE FOR LARGE-GIANT DOGS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:40:06 am »
Thanks for the info. I will check it out when I get a chance.

Also, you had danes?? What happened to make you change breeds?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 11:26:06 am »
Thanks Marit!  You read so much about what to feed them, what not to feed them, it gets confusing!  Of course, lately it doesn't take much with me.....  ::)  Too much work, not enough play, I guess.

I'll definitely check it out!

Heather

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:20:23 pm »
Thanks for the info. I will check it out when I get a chance.

Also, you had danes?? What happened to make you change breeds?

When ex and I split up we had only two dogs at the time. One old Dane and one young GS, who really was ex's. I had had GS in the past and he wanted one he could train and compete with. So when later on I had met Chris and everything came to me moving over here. The GS was no brainer because he really was ex's idea, the dane mind you was a whole different story. She was my girl, but she was real old and when I started to think about the pros and cons for her it didnt take long to come up with the answer. She was much better off, staying there. He bought me out from the house, so she would stay in the same house, the same yard and same daddy. If she came with me, she would have to sit in a crate (which she was not used to) in a plane for, all in all around 18 hours from being loaded to when she could get out on the ground here again. Then adjusting to a totally different climat, a new yard new house new people well had she been younger I probably would have done it, and thought the hours she had to be uncomfortable would be worth it for both her and me in the long run. But to be quite honest I think, that trip would have killed her, and that was definately the last thing I wanted to do to her.

So when we were going to get dogs here, hubby had a little mixed breed male called Harley, but it took me about 1 month to realize that I needed DOGS. Unfortunatelly I had by then told him all the stories about how the danes drool, all the slobber mopping in the ceiling and hmmmm funny how that can scare a person  ::)

We went breed searching and since I had lots of mastiff friends in Sw. that was one of the breeds we looked at first. We got a male bullmastiff (Hercules), it was a sad sad day when he went to the bridge. We also gos as you all know Hera and now not long ago Galahad (hubby still thinks they slobber less hehehehe) (guess that would be a scarey situation though, if a dane slobbers way more than our babies lol...) Since I moved here, we have also rescued Buffy and Zeus and had a few foster dogs. I love my babies, but that does not mean I dont miss danes, they are such lovable dogs.

So basically it boils down to. The things you do for love.......  ;)

Okay I need help, all my posts lately are like a page long. Malin looked at some of them and looked at some other posts and said "mooooom do you ever just post a nice little post like that???"  she didnt believe me when I said I do hehe

Marit

Offline new2saints

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 09:42:33 pm »
It's funny that you posted this.  I just this past week started switching Bailey to Eagle Pack.  She was on Science Diet, because that is what my vet recommended even before I got her.  I thought, well if that's what a vet says it must be good.  But, then I started researcing more, and found that Science Diet is not really ideal food for them.  The kennel 10 miles from my house sells Eagle Pack, so I researched it, and it seems to be working well.  She is a really picky eater, and I have had to add canned food ever since we got her.  But, I am hoping to add less and less canned as we go.  She is eating it pretty well,  so I am hoping we can stick with it.  It actually even cost less than Science Diet, not that it really matters.

new2saints

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 09:53:26 pm »
well, the cost is not a totally unimportant, when you have several dogs or large dogs it makes a difference. But a food can be more expensive per bag and yet more economical in the long run. Less fillers, overall better health all kinds of things.

I pretty much feed after Linda Arndts programs and she recommends 3 tbs - 1/3 can canned food or meat added to the kibbles. I use the Eagle Pack there too and even if you cant get her to eat the kibbles without anything, maybe you can add less.

I like her site because not only a great source for feeding, also other issues like hickups, cropping, supplements and lots more.

I think most vets recommend a food that is a rather big brand and a food they know of. I have met quite a few vets that have never heard of Eagle Pack or actually a lot of the brands on the list on that site. I feed Eagle too and love it, well my dogs love it maybe I should say hehe

Marit