Author Topic: Can dogs get lice?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Can dogs get lice?
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:50:17 pm »
Today as we took a walk some little white things fell onto Bear's coat and it got me thinking. Can dogs get lice? I know that they live off the hair in people and thought how bad it would be if he ever got it with all of his hair. So, can he?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can dogs get lice?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 03:56:37 pm »
Oh, yes. He totally can.

I know of an ENTIRE fraternity that got lice from a bulldog one of the guys rescued from a particularly unsavory girl he'd...kept company with.  And it WASN'T head lice. 

The phrase "Beware Greeks bearing gifts" took on a whole new meaning that term.  :o

The good news is, I think most good flea treatments include the various lices in their formula, though.   ;D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 03:57:05 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 05:25:33 pm »
Head lice for people are not transferable to dogs and vice versa.  Dogs and cats can get a type of lice but it doesn't live on humans.  Crabs, on the other hand, are also not able to live on dogs.  He picked that lovely gift up from the girl herself.  And then no one did laundry.  Body lice is also another form and is not to be confused by head lice.  Body lice and bed bugs are basically the same thing. 

I know there are people who swear the lice came from an animal but it isn't possible and is purely coincidental.  They love to blame the critters cause the alternative is "unthinkable" even though lice live quite some time on anything upholstered and in crevises and cracks.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:36:34 pm »
It was even funnier than that! The fraternity in question was one of those "stud muffin" houses where the guys all prided themselves on their...battin g average. ;) 

But the bulldog put an end to all that. 

I don't know of a single guy who was in the house then that ever even got another date!  My brother just finished his MM degree a year or so ago, and we laughed several times about which version of the campus legend of the "'infestation' that no pesticide has ever gotten rid off" he'd heard lately.

I know, the kid did a nice thing, saving the dog.  But I just think it's poetic justice for all the girls those guys messed with over the years... ;D ;D

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

cricket36580

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:36:21 am »
Funny, yes.  In an ironic way.  I have to feel sorry for them too though.  Not having another date?  That's pretty severe punishment.  But I guess if they were ANYTHING like the Pi Kappa's when I was in college....the devil in me says they deserved every bit of it.