Author Topic: I am really scared!!!!!!  (Read 7127 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
I am really scared!!!!!!
« on: June 23, 2006, 07:53:52 pm »
ok I have posted earlier about baxter being sick.  Now he isnt getting any better on his medicine.  He is coughing even worse now. 
  I am really worried.  Ok has anyone ever had any dog that has had an upper respiratory infection?  How long did it take after you did medication for it to get better?  Last night he couldnt even breath out of his nose he would just open his mouth and take a deep breath and start coughing.  I need help i am scared that he is getting worse and i might loose him.   :'(
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: I am really scared!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:24:45 pm »
I'm really sorry Amber that Baxter is still not feeling better.  I would take him back to the vet maybe they can try a different anti-biotic or something different if he isn't responding yet.  It might be a resistant strain of something. Hopefully it is not aspergillus or anything. If we can help or do any kind of research for you let us know please. 
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:25:44 pm »
Amber, I am so sorry. What can we do to help?

Lisa

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:38:41 pm »
I second Brandon....cal l the vet.  There are all sorts of nasties out there and maybe they just picked the wrong antibiotic.  It sounds like it's time for a change of meds.

Fingers and paws crossed that Baxter gets better FAST!!!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 10:10:18 pm »
Poor Baxter!  Yes, back to the vet!
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 06:29:49 am »
Well here is what i dont understand he is eating and drinking like normal and hasnt stopped that yet.  So i called the vet last night and he said that if he stops eating and drinking then let him know but just give the anti boitics time to work. 
  But he seems like it is getting worse.  Yea he is on clavomox 250 ml.  I hope that he gets better.  He seems to be alot worse at night and early in the morning then he does during the day. 

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 07:01:59 am »
Being worse at night is normal.  You can get that stuff that goes into a humidifier for him at night.  That might help a little.  If he's only been on the antibiotics for a couple of days, he won't start improving for a couple more.  Clavamox is a wonderful drug but it's a broad spectrum so it takes a little longer to work.  If you aren't giving him some sort of probiotics like yogurt, start doing so.  A youngster like him needs all the help he can get.  Oh, and if you give yogurt, get it from the health food store and make sure you get the real stuff...or keefir.  Grocery store stuff is crap and has very little acidopholus in it and loads of sugar which actually halp the bacteria to reproduce.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 08:44:06 am »
My girls caught the canine influenza back in April- the symptoms are as you described, BUT whether you give antibiotics or not, the symptoms and snotty nose last a MONTH.  As long as they are eating and drinking, and you can keep them comfortable, then things will be ok.  Frankie got dehydrated one day when we took her along for the LOOOONG ride to pick Imani up at the breeders, and had to be put on sub-Q fluids for a few days, but after that, it was just keep wiping noses, cleaning up snot, and wait.

Weedsport, NY

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 09:26:31 am »
If I remember correctly, it does seem to take dogs a little longer to kick some of the respiratory stuff.  Unlike cats who get colds like people (did you know that cats and people can pass colds?)!  Anyway, patience is key here and just watching his drinking especially.  I'm new to this board but obviously there's a lot of support here so if any thing is needed just type away!!  Best wishes
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 11:38:13 am »
Poor Baxter!  With something like this, getting worse before getting better isn't unusual.  In the time it takes the antibiotic to kick in, the illness seems to get the upper hand for a few days.  It is a bit unnerving when it happens over the weekend though.  Glad you got through to the vet and got their input.  If he's eating and drinking, he's probably not as miserable as he sounds. 
Daphne

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 12:40:52 pm »
If he gets really bad then take him into the bathroom and run the shower hot....you can also get a vaporizor and put where he sleeps so it's easier for him to breath.  The clavimox should be able to help him it just may take a little while.  Poor Baxter I hope he gets well soon.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 05:08:58 pm »
Never a puppy, but my kitty Maggie used to get them chronically when she was a baby. The vet put her on some medication that I now can't remember the name of but I'll look it up. Also, like Erin said, the shower worked wonders for her. I actually still bring her in the bathroom with me when I shower just to be on the safe side but she hasn't had one in several months. Poor little guy, hope he's feeling better soon. :-\
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 06:04:11 pm »
ok Well i tried the humidifier.  I dont know if it worked or not but i can tell you i actually hada full nught of sleep.  Hopefully he gets better

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 06:26:20 pm »
ok Well i tried the humidifier.  I dont know if it worked or not but i can tell you i actually hada full nught of sleep.  Hopefully he gets better
I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I hope he is better very soon...

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 09:46:13 am »
Thank you everyone for being there for me this really is a great group of ppl.