Author Topic: Elbow sores from lying on hard surfaces  (Read 1714 times)

Yaz

Elbow sores from lying on hard surfaces
« on: June 26, 2006, 11:57:53 am »
Gershwin, our Saint pup, has developed elbow sores from lying on the kitchen and hallway tile. We put a blanket in his crate, but he just pushes it aside, preferring to lie on the cool plastic. Has anyone experienced this with their big dog and know how to prevent/cure it? He really does prefer the cool surfaces to warm carpet or a bed.

Yaz

Re: Elbow sores from lying on hard surfaces
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 12:40:10 pm »
Argh, the cooler beds did not work with our last Saint. We had to return it TWICE due to his back paw nail puncturing it through the cover. The company was great about taking the beds back and ultimately giving us a refund - they said their beds were supposed to be puncture proof, but one customer service rep I spoke to let it slip that they do get a lot of returns with the large breeds using the beds.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:19:51 pm »
Zoey used to have the same problem. All you can really do is provide bedding (wether or not they choose to use it) and treat the sores (when zoey got sores we would put bag balm on them to prevent them from cracking). Eventually zoey's elbows formed calluses and now she doesn't get sores anymore
RIP former BPO

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:21:11 pm »
Gershwin, our Saint pup, has developed elbow sores from lying on the kitchen and hallway tile. We put a blanket in his crate, but he just pushes it aside, preferring to lie on the cool plastic. Has anyone experienced this with their big dog and know how to prevent/cure it? He really does prefer the cool surfaces to warm carpet or a bed.
I have the exact problem!  I posted a topic about that probably two or three weeks ago.  Bella moves her bed to the side also while in her crate. :D  Anyway, I bought some bag balm, but haven't used much yet.  I'm sure that it has to help, though.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:13:32 pm »
We've got raw elbows over here too. They will sleep on the floor before they'll sleep on the beds! You are not alone! ;)