Author Topic: Another foster...  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Another foster...
« on: June 26, 2006, 05:47:30 am »
Wednesday morning, hubby and I head to the state line to pick up our latest foster (6 year old female).  Looks like we will find out just what home is like with 4 mastiffs in the house!  At least this girl was with another mastiff for about the last three years, so it shouldn't be too difficult an adjustment for her.

Weedsport, NY

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: Another foster...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:31:39 pm »
That's brave!!  Four huge puppers in one house!! We'll be waiting for lots of great pics once she arrives!
Daphne

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:49:02 pm »
Your heart must be huge.  That is awesome, and somewhat intimidating.. .4 times the furage!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 09:07:39 pm »
I would love to be able to foster one day.  My husband and I want to buy some land when we move back to Texas this year and I am hoping in a few years when the skin kids are a bit older I can foster.

I don't know though, I will probably be a foster failure! ::)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:18:59 pm »
That's great! You will have to show pictures of that scene for sure... 4 mastiffs! Do you think you will keep them all together? I know some people keep fosters separate from their own dogs. When we foster, it's hard not to let everyone run together, but the fosters have a special place to sleep that's away from the pack, I guess to try to discourage too much bonding with our own dogs. But sometimes I feel bad for them and they get to sleep in the bedroom with us... that's when it gets dangerous! I think that's how little Turkey sneaked her way into my heart!!!! :D

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 07:40:32 am »
Thanks, everyone.  We were actually figuring that we would have three mastiffs only, as Frankie was still in Canada doing shows, and it looked like she would be there a while longer, so we agreed to help the foster, thinking she would be in her forever home  by the time Frankie was home from the shows (end of the summer, we thought).   So, once we found out Frankie was coming home for a short vacation, (and more training) there was no way we could turn the other girl away.  From what I was told, she comes from a home where one "parent" is in the hospital with terminal illness, the other is not in the best of health, and is moving to an apartment closer to the hospital, which makes it impossible to take the girls with them, and if she was not placed somewhere by Thursday, she would be put to sleep.  Things might be challenging to keep them all in line,  but no way does this girl deserve to be PTS for lack of a spot in rescue while her permanent home is found.

This will also  be the test of whether I can continue to foster in the future, while having three of my own, so I really DO need to give it my best.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:23:46 am »
Well then, Good Luck! and really, thank you!
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 08:28:34 am »
How wonderful for you to open your home!  I showed this thread to my husband to help convince him that we should foster.  If you can have 4 Mastiffs in the house, we should have no trouble with adding another dog!  Right? :)
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 11:22:13 am »
Just wanted to give y'all an update...  Maggie is here and doing well, though she is very spoiled and used to having things her way, we are learning about and from each other, and she is tolerating my other guys pretty well.   When everybody is outside playing, usually rough and tumble with Jesse, Frankie, and sometimes Imani, Maggie will run into the middle of the mix barking at each as if to tell them to settle down and behave themselves.  She is used to sleeping in her owner's bed, and tried very quickly to establish the same habit here, but no way could I let "the new kid" sleep with me if I don't let the other three, and of course four mastiffs in my bed would mean I was on the floor or couch, so it ain't happening.  They each have their own beds at various places around my bed, and more beds around Kim's (daughter's) bed, as well as a nice comfy leather couch in the livingroom they could sleep on, so there are plenty of choices for everyone.

I honestly think the rescue experience has been harder on Maggie than it is on most others as she came from a wonderful, loving home and does not understand why she is here with us;  though we treat her well, it still cannot be better than what she had before.  She seems to be a little stiff on getting up, so I have started her on glucosamine and chondroitin supplements, but I am sure a lot of that has to do with age.

She has a large shaved spot, and a huge scar (stitches and staples have just been removed) from a surgery to remove a large mass from her right hip area that turned out to be benign, which her previous owner wanted taken care of before she let her go to rescue, but that will heal up quickly and probably not be noticable once the hair grows  back.

She is supposed to be English Mastiff, but we have no info from her breeder, and she looks a lot more like a bull mastiff than an English.  She is beautiful, and has the most beautiful dark puppy eyes I have ever seen.

Weedsport, NY