Author Topic: Minivan vs. SUV - Tell me about your.  (Read 7470 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Minivan vs. SUV - Tell me about your.
« on: June 26, 2006, 06:08:35 pm »
Ok I am still using my hubby old Jeep. I need to make up my mind what I want for me and the fur-babies.  What will hold two people and at least three pyrs. ;)
Tell me what you like or dont like about your mini-van or SUV. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Minivan vs. SUV - Tell me about your.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:13:00 pm »
What type van do you have? I would like something that has seats that come out or fold flat into the floor.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:16:45 pm by DixieSugarBear »

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:20:04 pm »
Ok I am still using my hubby old Jeep. I need to make up my mind what I want for me and the fur-babies.  What will hold two people and at least three pyrs. ;)
Tell me what you like or dont like about your mini-van or SUV. 

Lisa

I have hauled my boys around in SUVs for a while...  My old Montero and, as of Thursday last, a Landcruiser (no it's not 'new' - lol well it is to me, anyway).  I prefer the SUV to the vans because of the ground clearance (important for hauling horse feed to the barn and jumping curbs at Mardi Gras :-) )and they seem more solid and 'trucklike' to me.  Of course the downside to some would be the more trucklike ride and handling, not to mention the gas mileage, which varies widely from model to model and whether it's 4WD or not, but is never really great.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:22:44 pm »
Hubby wants me to get a 4WD or a AWD.  I am not sure why, my last SUV was 4WD and I dont think I even used it once.
What I would love is a mini-van with the look and feel of an SUV.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 06:30:25 pm »
Hubby wants me to get a 4WD or a AWD.  I am not sure why, my last SUV was 4WD and I dont think I even used it once.
What I would love is a mini-van with the look and feel of an SUV.

The Landcruiser is full time 4WD with a low and lower(sorta) range for true off roading.  I can tell you that full-time 4WD or AWD can make a big difference.... I was crossing the causeway in the middle of that huge (thank you, please send more) storm yesterday and I could feel a little slip here and there, but not often, but as soon as it started one of the other 3 wheels would catch and put a stop to it.  I've driven 4WD off road a million times, but never on road and it is a much more secure feeling than 2WD.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 06:34:37 pm »
I don't have either.

I would like to get a van.
I was thinking of the Dodge Grand Caravan.  But since it has problems, I wouldn't know the next option.
However, I think that van may be the best, because the sliding doors open automatically, when your hands are full with groceries, or dog leashes.  AND I think that van has the driverside sliding door. I too think that would be very convenant.  I need to get a van in th enear future.  Dogde Grand Caravan, has those fold and go sits, that fold inside, in the floor of the van.  That is very cool, but very expensive.

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:45:37 pm »
Have you thought of a honda element, I'm not crazy about them, but Kate's mom recently got one (if I remember right) and she LOVES it. I understand they are great for dogs... and roomy.
:)

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 07:20:37 pm »
Have you thought of a honda element, I'm not crazy about them, but Kate's mom recently got one (if I remember right) and she LOVES it. I understand they are great for dogs... and roomy.
:)

You're right doggylover! ;D

Lisa, I would only look at an Element if you drive (or are willing to drive) a standard.  I test drove the automatic first, and really didn't like it.  The Element is only a 4 cylinder (which gets good mileage for the size of the vehicle) but the auto just had no power to it, whereas the standard is zippy!  Was night and day between the two of them...

The thing I love about it is it's high seating position, the good gas mileage it gets (so far anyhow - have only had it a week!), the safety within it (lots of airbags and EBD - Electronic Brakeforce Distribution), 4WD (but only when you need it, if you slip it kicks in, you can't turn it on automatically) and of course all the room!  It is a very different looking vehicle, isn't for everyone.  But, it's so unbeliveably roomy inside.  It also has half back doors that open as 'suicide doors' (I know - awful name for them) but they are neat as it leaves lots of rooms for dogs to get in, plus for hauling stuff (ie. big screen tv would be really easy to get into it)...

It also has NO CARPET flooring, it's a poly-rubber like flooring that just needs to be wiped down - AWESOME!  It has tonnes of headroom too, which doesn't really matter to me (ya - I'm a shorty) but Eric really loves it!

The biggest fault it has so far (which really isn't a big deal) is that the back windows only open like the back windows in a minivan or extended cab truck, not all the way.  Kate can't stick her head out (but) it doesn't seem to bother her too much, especially seeing as the moon roof is in the back (instead of the front) like a regular sunroof!

The seats don't flip into the floor, they flip up into the rear windows, or come out completely.  I wouldn't recommend flipping them into the windows as this creates a blind spot.  With the back seats out, me, Eric and Kate can all sleep inside while camping - we're trying it out this weekend actually!  We did lay in there to try it though, was quite comfy!

If the Element interests you, I'd definitely take it for a spin.  A fully-loaded one runs you about the price of an entry-level model SUV, so it's a good bang for your buck. It's size is surprising because when you look at it, it doesn't look too big but inside - HOLY - it's cavernous!!! Plus, it's a Honda! ;D

Here's a link to a review on it, with pics.  It's from 2004 so they've bettered them a bit since then, more features now.  Also, they got rid of those big grey plastic panels on them in 2006, so they are all body-colored like any other car (they look much better):
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/04element.htm

Good luck, and let us know how the car shopping goes!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:21:26 pm by k2campbell »

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 07:23:19 pm »
I have a Chevy Trailblazer.  An extended one.  It will hold lots of stuff.  And, it's 4WD too.  Seats fold down nicely. 

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 08:32:33 pm »
I have a Ford Explorer auto 4 wheel drive it kicks in when you need it, or you can put it in full time 4 wheel. I love it. The seats fold down and it also has rear air condtioning, the dogs like that.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 08:34:44 pm »
I do want something with rear air.  Dixie has requested lots of side air bags. ::) 

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 08:47:15 pm »
I have a Kia Sedona mini van and HATE it. I am looking into getting a full size van. The mini vans I have found have no "trunk" space. the back seats in my minivan are almost against the backseat. I can't even get my daughters stroller in there without folding the seat down. I don't know what we are going to do when we get the boys back and the foster kids. Then we will have 5 kids and the 3 dogs.  :-\ I do like the new Kia Sedonas as they look like they are actually bigger than the one I have now. The seats in my van come out VERY easy. I am able to move them in and out. They are on wheels so once you get them out you just push them where you want them. It gets good gas mileage, but just not "roomy" enough for my liking. And my Kia is only 2 yrs old and have had a lot of problems with it.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:54:27 pm »
I drove a full sized pickup (Dodge Ram Quadcab) for around 7 or 8 years.  I loved the towing and hauling capacity.  I hated that I had to park out a ways in the parking lot because the turning ratio stinks.  It drives like a 'truck' the weight helps soak up the bumps, but it doesn't have that 'fun' factor that a car does.  You have to think about your turns before you get to them, etc.

I've been looking into a new vehicle for a long time, but hadn't really decided.  I love the Land Rover Discovery II, but I already have 2 project jags and don't need another.  My plate overfloweth :) 

I thought I had decided on the Chrysler Town & Country, and was looking for a white one w/ leather and rear air.  I accidently stumbled on the Mazda MPV.  It never ever was a consideration until I looked at it and played around with some of the practical features. 

We got the ES model, it has rear air in the floor and the ceiling that is controllable from the front or the rear.  It seats 6 adults comfortably, 7 in a pinch.  The rear seat folds down into the floor for a flat surface.  They also fold down backwards for tailgating.  Dual power sliding doors, you can control from the remote. Something most mini-vans can't do, the windows roll down in the back.   The passenger seats behind the front slide together to form a bench or they can be 2 captains chairs. They are easily removable by lifting up on a bar in the back.   It drives like a car, great turn ratio and very good pick up.  It's actually fun to drive, which suprises me.

What I don't like.  It is missing some of the amenities I have gotten used to from our chrysler 300 like outside thermometer, readout that shows mpg, trip computer, dimming rear view & side mirrors, etc.. it lacks some of those niceties that I have grown used to.

Just my 2 cents as usual, but I'm really pleased with what we got for our $$'s, it was a great value.

ps: 5 star crash rating, and dual front and side airbags :)

Picture #1 - seats folded facing back (for tailgating)
Picture #2 - Lovely fashion model Bava
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:57:22 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 09:33:01 pm »
Dixie would be very happy for it to have "5 star crash rating, and dual front and side airbags". ;) Bava looks very happy in the photo.  I love that he fits with the 2 row seats still in.

k2campbell

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 10:18:37 pm »
As a side note, the Element also has a 5 star crash rating, and dual front and side airbags. The rear heating/air ducts are underneath the front seats pointed into the rear, and are angled slightly upward. ;)

I'll have to take some pics this weekend from our camping trip! :)