Author Topic: Fence Aggressive  (Read 5250 times)

Blair

Fence Aggressive
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:43:27 am »
Zeus is extrememly fence aggressive. He will bark at anyone near our fence and let them know they are not welcomed. And if anyone goes near our gate, it really makes him mad. The way our gate is set up and our neighbors, no one can get in our neighbors gate, the neighbors can or course cause Zeus knows them. But like just a few minuts ago, a cable guy was trying to get in our neighbor's yard, without telling and letting my neighbor's know, and Zeus would not allow him. Is there a way I can correct this to some degree? I dont want to teach him its ok to have strangers in our yard but then again I dont want him to turn physco everytime some one walks near our fence, do you know what I mean?

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Fence Aggressive
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:47:58 am »
How old is Zeus?  Does he jump up on the fence while barking and does he back up as he barks or does he stand his ground?  My GSD used to be very fence aggressive but got better with age.  It's hard, because they are just letting the stranger know "hey I'm back here, this is my territory" and you don't want to correct them of that.  Could you work with him not to go all the way up to the gate?  Maybe stay a few feet back?  I know sounds impossible but I know it can be done with some patience.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:53:18 am »
I feel your pain, sister. Almost all of my dogs are like this. They are pansies when there's no fence, but through the fence they act really macho. Even Mr. Furley who weighs like 40 pounds! :D
The only thing I can think to do is have people walk up and throw some treats over if your dog is a sucker for treats (like mine are ;)). So he learns to associate people outside the fence with good times (i.e. yummy treats!). Luckily my neighbor isn't afraid of my dogs and once she comes right up to the fence and talks to my pooches sweetly they calm down and want lovin from her.

Since Zeus is a Rottie he has that tendency naturally, most Rottweilers I have met have acted that way at the fence, but I bet their owners never really worked with them to curb that behavior. I bet Zeus can be worked with since he is such a well loved dog. :-*

Blair

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:53:25 am »
Zeus is 2yrs old, and when he barks he stays right there and jumps on the gate. Now when some one is just by the fence he stands there and bark, no jumping but he aslo doesnt back away either. He will only jump on the gate when some one is standing close or if some one tries to get in our gate or the neighbors. He looks extremely scary when he does it. How would I go about teaching him to stand away from the gate? I will try that, but dont know where to start?

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 09:59:37 am »
Zeus is 2yrs old, and when he barks he stays right there and jumps on the gate. Now when some one is just by the fence he stands there and bark, no jumping but he aslo doesnt back away either. He will only jump on the gate when some one is standing close or if some one tries to get in our gate or the neighbors. He looks extremely scary when he does it. How would I go about teaching him to stand away from the gate? I will try that, but dont know where to start?
I don't have any advise to give but Pippin' breeder (Tanimara here at BPO) trained Pippin not to go out an opened gate...& he really doesn't...DH left the gate open once & Sam was out romping like a bad little pony when DH realized his mistake...Pipp in never left the yard...He was lying in his usual spot next to the gate...Perhaps you could pm Jackie (Tanimara) & ask her how she does it.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 09:59:50 am »
Well, you may need to try a couple of things.  Maybe teaching him not to jump on the fence would be a little easier.  The treat idea is a good one, if he responds to treats.  My GSD wouldn not take anything from anyone but me. If there is something that will catch his attention, even while he's barking, like a clicker or whistle....may be use that when he reaches a point before the gate and call him back to you.  I don't know how well he responds when he's in that "zone".  I know my boxer is tunnel vision and deaf sometimes!!  Use your imagination... some things work better for some dogs than others.  Can you block off the gate area?
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Blair

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:04:45 am »
My husband was actually thinking of putting up another gate behind that gate, so when my neighbor's have company, they dont have to worry about Zeus when they try to get in that gate. It will still keep those cable and meter reader guys out of my yard though, cause they still need to face Zeus when they ry to open the second gate. Which I dont want them in my yard if they are just going to walk in without letting me know. Ill work on his jumping up and see if I can get him to just bark at a distance from the gate, but still let people know not to enter our yard without us there. Thanks guys.