Author Topic: A video clip of Zeus' fence aggression  (Read 5694 times)

Blair

A video clip of Zeus' fence aggression
« on: June 28, 2006, 10:28:18 am »
Here is what my sweet loving boy sounds and acts like if some one is near our fence. The first dog you hear is our neighbors Aussie, and then you see Grey running at the fence and Zeus pushing him out the way to lunge at the gate. You will notice when he realizes it is just mommy at the gate. I gave them some loving and treats after that  :) But doesnt he look and sound so mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9n_Xtdzvnk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:28:51 am by Blair »

Icerotti

Re: A video clip of Zeus' fence aggression
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:35:04 am »
Well...no one would come in.....

I think it may be the breed. ;) Puck does it too exactly like Zeus. He will bark at our neighbours dog etc.  He will normally stop when we tell him too. Farley started doing it too. I bought a super soaker water gun--one that shoots really far. Everytime he barked he got a shot. Now he will just run the fence with no barking at least. He will bark when the neightbours dog rushed the fence line though--haven't been able to stop that :-\

I am sure someone will have a great idea--- I will look forward to the replies on this as well.

Blair

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 10:56:01 am »
What makes me really worried about all of this, is that Zeus means it. My neighbor, a very dumb move on his end, was standing on his fence looking over our fence and well Zeus nailed his arm. My neighbor wasnt upset or anything, he understood it was his fault and Zeus was just protecting his yard. So when I see Zeus act like that, I know he means it and he would bite some one and I really dont want that. I got him to stop jumping on the fence itself, but the gate is his main concern now. Im going to work on him till I am blue in the face to correct this. Most of the people on my street dislike Zeus, only cause he is a Rottie. They are like waiting for him to screw up big time and then go after him  >:(

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 01:39:10 pm »
After seeing your movie, let me play devil's advocate for a sec.  :-\

I'm not sure that you WANT him to stop jumping on the gate.  If he's dead serious about keeping people out of his yard, then his jumping on the gate will absolutely convince EVERYONE that they do NOT want to go in your yard. 

OTOH, if he stands away from the gate and bark, they might think that he NOT as serious as he is; and then they might chance opening the gate and get eaten alive.

Jumping on the gate might be noisy and annoying, but nobody ever got bitten by noise. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 02:11:03 pm »
You are right - he looks SCARY!!

You gave him love and treats after?  Could he think that you WANT him to do this?  Could you have accidentally trained him to do it?

I really have no idea and not much experience with dogs so please forgive me if the above seems out of line.  I don't mean to question you in any way, just give another avenue of thinking.

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:29:13 pm »
I'd love to hear some good advice about this as well.  Cooper is normally so docile and friendly but he guards the house and truck like this and I'm concerned about it.  It's very scary for people. If he was only aggressive with sketchy looking people I'd be ok but it is indiscriminate including kids who may come close to the truck..
Maggie

Blair

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 03:16:24 pm »
You are right - he looks SCARY!!

You gave him love and treats after?  Could he think that you WANT him to do this?  Could you have accidentally trained him to do it?

I really have no idea and not much experience with dogs so please forgive me if the above seems out of line.  I don't mean to question you in any way, just give another avenue of thinking.

I went inside after I made the video, and gave all the boys a cookie. I didnt do it at the gate and I dont ever do after he acts like that. Sorry for the confusion