Author Topic: Dog Owner's Association in Mobile???  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Dog Owner's Association in Mobile???
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:04:52 pm »
I was looking at Pensacola's Dog Owner's Association website.  As some of you know, we are planning a trip this weekend to the dog beach there.  Why can't Mobile dog owners get together and start our own association??  If Pensacola can do it, why can't we?  A group has more influence than individuals, and maybe we could get our own dog park.  What do ya'll think??
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Owner's Association in Mobile???
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 02:12:15 pm »
Sounds like an idea.  Research definitely needed!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 02:17:04 pm »
I wonder if you have to get some kind of permission from the city council or anything to just start such an organization.  Obviously for the park, much red tape!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 02:58:24 pm »
Dixie and I have been talking about starting a sort of Kennel club for Baldwin/Mobile counties.  Let's look into this seriously.

cricket36580

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 03:49:20 pm »
I have to agree with the no politics rule.  However, how do we want to organize?  Just a group that gets together at functions?  Or do we want to have any sort of "meetings"?  Or perhaps just quarterly get togethers outside of functions? 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:28:52 pm »
Count me in, this is sounding great.  As soon as I have time I plan to join the Mobile Kennel Culb.  I want to find out how things work.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 07:58:17 pm »
Maybe I was thinking of something different than what Mel was thinking I guess.  But my thoughts was a purely political organization, a group to help lobby for a dog park, events, etc., it would mean collecting signatures for a petition, etc, attending city council meetings and so forth.  I just know I am not the right person to make this happen and have been hoping to just put the bug in the right peoples ears to help it along.  It really seems like it would take a retired person or two to make it happen, people that have much more time than I do.

I am happy to hear I am not the only person who would like to see something like this.  I would be happy to set up a discussion forum along with a domain or domains to help gather like minded people, but that is probably all I would really have time for.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 07:59:51 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 08:38:49 pm »
Maybe I was thinking of something different than what Mel was thinking I guess.  But my thoughts was a purely political organization, a group to help lobby for a dog park, events, etc., it would mean collecting signatures for a petition, etc, attending city council meetings and so forth. 

Yes!  I was meaning political in that sense.  We need to get people together to help get us a dog park.
I don't have much time, either, but my free time is spent with my Bella.  So, I don't mind going to events or places to help do this.  I'll bet that putting a sign-up sheet or petition at the Petsmarts in Mobile and Daphne to see interest in a play area might be a good idea.
Does anyone know where to begin?
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 05:39:54 am »
Want to take some time Sat for an "organizational" moment?  It would be fine by me.  I hve some time right now...just not much of anything else.