Author Topic: Sam is being a total butthead & I don't like him right now!  (Read 2257 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Sam has a bad bad habit of running up on people when they are leaving my house or yard or walking away from him...He not only runs up on them he barks like a mad idiot & will get his head & mouth right up to them like he is going to eat them...He does it terrible when my kids go over the babygate leaving the dogs allowed area & though I thought I had him broke of it months ago he has started mouthing them again...Last night at the park he approached a child for attention but as the child walked away he ran up behind him barking like a mad dog & put his mouth on this strange child!...No teeth just kind of had his mouth right up to this kids arm as he barked like he was personally insulted the child would walk away from him...Of coarse the kid looked like Sam tried to eat him...I am just SO glad the parents didn't see it...Why oh why does he do this?...How can I get him to stop?

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Sam is being a total butthead & I don't like him right now!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:43:17 pm »
I can't really offer any help, just sympathy, but I have to say that your description that he seems personally insulted cracked me up. Riley acts like that if he has to stay inside while Sadie goes out and when I baby-gate him into the kitchen in the morning.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:56:18 pm »
Get something nasty to spray in his mouth when he does it--something worse than bitter apple.

My sister's dog did something similar when she was little--until she started getting a mouthful of ReaLemon concentrated lemon juice in the mouth every time she did it. :)
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:01:33 pm »
Oh Sammy please give Mom a break and ease off on being a butthead. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:51:36 pm »
Oh Sammy please give Mom a break and ease off on being a butthead. 
Perhaps you could send Dixie to straighten him out? :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 06:47:28 am »
Oh Dixie will me as soon as she finishes with Sugar Bear. Just think Dixie and Pippin in one yard, that would be fun to watch.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 07:08:44 am »
Come on Sammy give mommy a break! Be a good boy cause Kiah will be there soon to give you some lovin!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 12:58:31 pm »
Come on Sammy give mommy a break! Be a good boy cause Kiah will be there soon to give you some lovin!
I can't hardly wait!!!...We had some guests today for a couple of hours...The neighbor's Irish Setters who had found a way out of their pen...(will be posting pics on a new thread)...Sammy was all playful & entergetic!...He loves doggy company!...Pippin, well Pippin...What can I say :-\...He spends alot of time walking around & making sure nobody has too much fun...lol!...But, he's pretty harmless. ;D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 01:12:01 pm »
Poor Sammy!  I really do think that some dogs grieve tremendously over the loss of others.  Poor Jesse has really struggled a lot since Josh's death (he's doing very well again now, BTW, and we've stopped work on his hole).  I think I'd go with lots of love and attention, excercise to help take his mind off things and toughness when you need to.  Good luck!  Wish I had some great ideas but I confess, I've never dealt with that kind of behavior.  Mourning, yes, but not acting out like that.  Josh and Jesse both mourned for 6 mo or longer after their first owner died but it was very sad, depressed behavior, not naughty.  I kind of wondered if they'd ever be happy again but they did come through.  Sounds like you've got a number of doggy visits planned which should be very good to help take his mind off things and burn off some energy!  Give him a big smooch from Jesse and I!  :-*
Daphne