Author Topic: We had to let Ramsey go.....  (Read 5785 times)

Anakalia

We had to let Ramsey go.....
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:11:59 pm »
I know Ramsey's not a big paw, but a lot of you have heard my stories about him, so I thought I'd let you all know, last Thursday we had my little 7lb mojo put to sleep, because of aggression issues.  He had bit my daughter in the face awhile back and we had been dealing with his aggression on a daily basis.  After talking to behaviorist, vets and rescues, his chances were growing slim.  He started attacking Koby, my great dane and me, although most of the time I could stop it before it got too bad, then 2 weeks ago he bit me in the hand. Sooo... after talking to the vet we decided we needed to do the unthinkable.  Even after Ramsey's biting and attacking (I often called him the spawn of satan), it was SO hard to drive him to the vet last Thursday, knowing he wasn't going to be coming back home.  Since that day I've felt so upset, guilty and just plain evil for having him put to sleep, but deep down I know it's something we had to do, so no one else got hurt.

Now we have other issues... My 6 yr old daughter, Kenna, has had nightmares about Ramsey, she breaks down and just sobs saying she wants him back, it's been so hard to try to explain to her it's OK to be sad, but I'm really worried about the nightmares, they're pretty graphic.  If anyone has any ideas on how I could make this better or easier for her, please let me know.

R.I.P little guy!

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: We had to let Ramsey go.....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:19:53 pm »
I just went through the same thing with our girl, Rosie...I took all the right steps with her right to the end & sadly we had to have her put to sleep too...There is nowhere for an agressive dog to go & even if there was I am not sure it is morally right to rehome them...I know how you feel & I am so sorry...I am sending prayers for you & your daughter.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:26:23 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  The only thing I can offer in terms of your daughter is what we did for the kids when we lost Barkley.  We put the Rainbow Bridge story, along with a couple of pictures of Barkley, on really nice card stock and printed it off.  They kept it with them for the next day or so, and we just let them cry and talk about him whenever they wanted. 

I hope she is able to remember him with happy memories soon.  So sorry for your loss.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 08:35:50 pm »
I don't know your families beliefs, but when I was about your daughter's age there was a death in the family and I was also experiencing nightmares.  I don't really remember the explanation that my mom gave me, it was something about good and bad spirits, but I slept with something of the person that died under my pillow (maybe a pic that your daughter chooses).  My mother told me that it would let her know that I would be fine and that she could continue on her journey home.  I think I had one more dream, not a nightmare though.  My mother also told me anything I wanted to say would be ok, anything.  I hope you and your daughter get some peace soon.   H

God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 08:41:57 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss , I'm sure Ramsey is much happier now that he is free from his aggression issues ! I thought maybe I'd share what my parents did for me when I was little . I was 7 and we had rescued a peekingese/pom cross from the shelter named Doc . He was my best little buddy but after we had him for a year he bit a little girl my older sister was babysitting , bit her hard , and my parents had to have him put to sleep . I had horrible night terrors about him , for months . So my parents actually just surprised me with another dog . I don't know if that's an option for you but I had that dog for 13 years and never had a bad dream about Doc again .
So , just a thought  ;)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 08:56:08 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss.  You may want to get your little girl a scrapbook that she can put all of her stories and photos of Ramsey.  Working on the pages may help her work out the bad dreams.  I still have snake/Rosie bad dreams from time to time. When I do I get up and go down to my shop and work on a scrapbook page of her.

You could also have her send balloons up in the sky with a note telling Ramsey that she loves him.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 09:08:26 pm »
There's a wonderful little book that I used with my kids when we lost the various pets.  It's called "Lifetimes" by Bryan Mellonie and it's still available through www.amazoncom

Here a review from Amazon:

I have a fairly extensive collection of books about death and grieving for "my" children, which we have used for the loss of
family, friends and pets. But this is the only book I regularly give copies of to families. The "de-personalized" way it talks about death, the universality of its text combined with soft drawings and repetition are very soothing. This is NOT a book about emotions or stages of death. (If you are looking for one of those Everett Anderson's Goodbye is a positive place to start.)

This is a book about the rhythm of life and death for all creatures, for everything that is born. One of the best parts of the book is its emphasis on what a lifetime is, and how it is framed by birth and death, and that inbetween those "markers" is what is important. It explains that different creatures have different life spans, and that this aspect of nature is neither fair nor unfair. It simply is.

"I do not restrict this book to times when a child is grieving,
I include it in our regular reading rotation, so that the children see death as a normal part of life experiences. Death is so emotionally charged, especially for the grown ups, that having a calm book is especially worthwhile. When a child is actually grieving balancing the more "intense" books with this soothing one, does wonders."

I highly recommend it!

Anakalia

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 09:52:19 pm »
Wow!!  I'm amazed at how many of you responded already, and you're all so sweet!  Thank you so much, you've made me and my daughter feel so much better!  :)  I did have a talk with Kenna tonight and she is blaming herself, she just wants to see Ramsey again to make sure he's ok.  We've talked about Rainbow Bridge and that did seem to help quite a bit.  That idea about sending a balloon with note attached is BRILLIANT!!  We'll be doing that this weekend.  We're also going to look through his photobook and remember some good times.  I haven't been able to look at pics yet, it's too hard.  Kenna has a stuffed animal that we bought for her awhile back that's a spitting image of Ramsey.  She's actually named it Ramsey and she wanted to sleep with it tonight so hopefully that will also bring her some comfort.

I am a very spiritual person, I do believe he's in a better, happy place.  The vet and I both agree he had major neurological issues, I really don't think Ramsey wanted to be the way he was, I just keep telling myself he's no longer hurting.

Thanks again, you are all absolutely amazing!! :D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 10:13:10 pm »
Wow!!  I'm amazed at how many of you responded already, and you're all so sweet!  Thank you so much, you've made me and my daughter feel so much better!  :)  I did have a talk with Kenna tonight and she is blaming herself, she just wants to see Ramsey again to make sure he's ok.  We've talked about Rainbow Bridge and that did seem to help quite a bit.  That idea about sending a balloon with note attached is BRILLIANT!!  We'll be doing that this weekend.  We're also going to look through his photobook and remember some good times.  I haven't been able to look at pics yet, it's too hard.  Kenna has a stuffed animal that we bought for her awhile back that's a spitting image of Ramsey.  She's actually named it Ramsey and she wanted to sleep with it tonight so hopefully that will also bring her some comfort.

I am a very spiritual person, I do believe he's in a better, happy place.  The vet and I both agree he had major neurological issues, I really don't think Ramsey wanted to be the way he was, I just keep telling myself he's no longer hurting.

Thanks again, you are all absolutely amazing!! :D
Andi, forgot to say that the 1st week after Rosie was gone my children would come to me often & say "I miss Rosie"...I would tell them I missed her very much too & that she was a special girl...Then I'd ask them to tell me a happy memory they had of Rosie & I would tell them one of my own...They would go on their way smiling & feeling better. :)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 10:41:35 pm »
 :'( :'(  I'm so sorry that you had to make a decision like that.  I've had to make the same decision, as many of us have, and it is the hardest thing in the world.  I feel for you, and am wishing you and your daughter the best.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 11:05:31 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Your daughter learned that you will protect your family, and that sometimes in life we have to make terribly difficult decisions but that we can't shrink away from things just because they are hard.  I really feel for you.  It is a terrible pain to have to end the life of a soul we love.  Sometimes there is no other option. 
Take care,
Ronda :(

Icerotti

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 05:56:05 am »
I am sorry for your loss and sad to hear your daughter is having such a difficult time.

When we lost Katie last year to cancer Alexis was 5 years old. For the first few weeks she didn't really understand that Katie wasn't coming home. I tried to explain the rainbow bridge but in 5 year old terms. It seemed to help. She also had a picture of Katie and Puck together that she would look at. It was a picture that we took on vacation b/c once we got away from home--she always started to miss the dogs. 

I love the balloon idea.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 07:09:01 am »
I'm so sorry for your loss!  :(

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 07:14:32 am »
We started the ballons with the loss of my Dad last year. His granddaughers needed a way to say goodby.  Now we do it for Christmas, Father's Day, his birthday, and when we want to tell him something special.  My hubby can up with the idea, now you know why I love that man so much ;)
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 12:49:02 pm »
Sorry to hear that..

There is a great little book out there which really help children alot..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0689712030/qid=1151692539/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-8782808-3982301?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

"The Tenth Good Thing about Barney."

Glad your daughter is doing better, too.