Author Topic: Feeding a BIG puppy  (Read 43694 times)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding a BIG puppy
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 04:38:19 pm »
I am also an advocate for feeding a quality kibble and will second that a giant breed should NEVER be on puppy food (unless Eagle Pack for Giant breeds).  I would never feed my dogs anything from Purina but I'm a food snob.  Currently I feed Eagle Pack Holistic and am very happy with it.  If I ever change and it's not to a BARF diet I will feed EVO. 

The only Diamond product that I would and have fed is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.  I stopped feeding it because it gave my Tucker really bad gas.

Cindy

Offline graymeiste

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2005, 04:45:41 pm »
I know that most breeders and owners don't recommend feeding puppy chow (using that phrase as a general one, not necessarily to identify Purina products) past a certain time.  I was planning on letting the breeder fill me in on the particulars of that.

As for adult food, I'm not set on anything at all.  I'm just looking into the options.  Please let me know what you all suggest and what you suppliment with (if you do).  I want to make sure that the pup is happy, healthy, and growing at a safe rate.  I'd rather not spend a mint on it, but the right answer is the right answer!

Thanks again...again.  Heh.  I need to come up with a new way to sign off!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2005, 05:07:01 pm »
Well *Cracks fingers in preparation for a long typing session* :) 

I note Alternative protiens for dogs with allergic reactions to some traditional protein sources.

I like Canidae.  Depending on where you live you can get a 40 pound bag for $30-$35.  It has a high calorie content, so you feed fewer cups.  (24% protein)
http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

Solid Gold makes a food called "Wolf King", with Bison and Salmon as protein sources (22% Protein).  Do not confuse this with "Wolf Cub" the puppy formula (26% protein)
http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170

Fromm Four Star is a food that looks good on paper and I was about to try before I found the food that works for my dog (More on that later) They have several alternative protein formulas.  (23%-24% protein)
http://www.frommfamily.com/products_fourstardry.asp

Eagle Pack has a Giant breed puppy food that's acceptable.  (23% Protein) I also like their Holistic chicken (24% Protein)
http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/for_your_dog.html

Merrick has several good formulas, however if your dog has a tendency towards gassiness I would stay away.  Their alternative protein food is the Wilderness Blend and Turducken (24% Protein for both).  They also have Cowboy Cook out (22% Protein) and Grammy's Pot Pie (23% Protein)
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/dry_dog_food.php

Wellness is another dog food to avoid if your dog has gassiness or loose stools.  Their Fish and Sweet Potato (22% Protein) is an alternative protein, and their chicken is supposed to be good as well (22%).
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/dry_intro.asp?pCode=dry

As for foods to avoid.  Cindy talked about Innova EVO, don't get me wrong I LOVE this food, it's what I feed my Dane, HOWEVER the Protein is 42%, so it should NEVER be fed to puppies!  EVER EVER EVER!

Avoid anything with fillers, ie corn, rice, grains, as the first few ingredients. 

Avoid Lamb food for puppies as the LACK of Taurine can give them health issues.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you, and feel free to contact me with questions!

Ang.  The Food nut
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 08:16:09 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2005, 05:11:27 pm »
Thanks for adding that EVO should NEVER be fed to a puppy.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2005, 05:25:13 pm »
Hi,

I know the stones will be thrown at me, but Winslow has been doing very well on Science Diet Large Breed Puppy formula. He sees his vet every 2 months, his stool is solid and not soft. He is very regular and has been putting weight on as he is supposed too. He is happy, healthy and you can still feel his ribs ;-) like we are supposed to at his age.

So as long as you pay attention to your Pup, maintain a regular schedule with your vet and monitor the results of your feeding you really shouldn't be harming your dog with any food on the market.

If only we humans paid as much attention to what we eat, maybe we would be as healthy as our dogs.

Just like with yourself if you eat something that disagrees with you, you'll move on, so watch the pup if he doesn't like something he'll let you know.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2005, 05:32:29 pm »

So as long as you pay attention to your Pup, maintain a regular schedule with your vet and monitor the results of your feeding you really shouldn't be harming your dog with any food on the market.

I am NOT going to throw you under the bus.  :P  First off I want to say that for some dogs the "Grocery store brands" (I don't want to say crap brands because I'll offend some people), DO work.  One of my good friends feeds her dog this because it's the ONLY thing he gains weight on.  I told her we couldn't be friends anymore but she wouldn't listen to me :P  I don't like Science Diet but I have my own reasons and have no right to chastize anyone when it appears that their dog is doing well.

BUT the "you really shouldn't be harming your dog with any food on the market. " is SO wrong.  Even a food that is ADA certified can have sawdust, and shavings from the floor of meat processing plants in it.  There are dog foods that have used euthanized animals from shelters as protein sources in their foods.  Ingredients that have been exposed to chemicals, sprayed with "flavors" that are toxic to some dogs.  You might be one of the lucky ones and not have an issue with your dog, but you might not.  Personally I see no reason to take a risk when you don't have to.  For me, the difference in coat is amazing, smaller solid fewer poops (With a big dog this is a BIG deal).  A better quality food leads to a better quality life.

Just my opinion though.

Links referring to euthanised animals in food:
http://www.petcaretips.net/euthanized_pets.html
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0106-03.htm

Links referring to unfit foods:
http://petcaretips.net/petfood_ingredients.html
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 05:38:17 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2005, 05:46:47 pm »
iHi Anky,

Thanks for the links, and the pass on the stone throwing  ;D, I agree that we all need to pay attention to what is in the foods we feed the pets and the people, 

Fortunately or Unfortunately,  ??? the people who could benefit most from these informative boards probably do not even know they exist. I tend to think that if you have made it to BPO you already know what is best for you and your pets.

I love the boards and the great information on them.

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2005, 10:08:28 pm »
I feed my boys Diamond and have been pleased with the results.  I started using that particular brand based on several knowledgeable people's recomendation.  The closest that I have to a complaint with it is that the boys stool can be soft at times (warmer weather and activity level seems to have more to do with it than anything).  That being said, others who have posted in this thread have much more knowledge on the subject than I, but I did want to put my 2 cents worth in as someone who uses the specific product that you mentioned.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline spikey70

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2005, 08:54:05 pm »
Adding my 2 cents for what it's worth.   We finally got Angus about 3 weeks ago and started immediately changing him over to Eagle Pack Giant Breed Puppy formula.  He made the switch over very well.  I feel I have "some" insight cause we we're on a waiting list for about 7 mo to get him and I think I researched just about EVERY brand out there.  Not counting the stuff thats too crazy expensive.   I'm paying $33 for a 33lb bag.    Anyway, do your own research, but I would reccomend visiting Eagle Pack's website     www.eaglepack. com     It has a couple links in it that are real informing.          Greg

Offline dutch1204

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 05:16:06 pm »
We ended up going with Nutro Natural Choice for Large Breed Puppies and have been very happy with it!  Duchess likes it and she looks great.  Once she hits 2 years old and we switch to Adult food, we will probably consider Diamond again.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 09:53:10 pm »
Chester...perh aps the Newfoundland world's biggest food snob has taste tested many brands and hated..HATED Wellness Chicken,  turned his nose up at Eagle Pack Salmon, walked away from Proplan and is now tolerating Natural Balance Duck and Potato.  He's 10 months and is a food tyrant!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2005, 10:30:26 am »
Hi,

We are in the process of switching Winslow over from Science Diet Large breed Puppy to Wellness, (3 days in) So far he is doing well.

We had no problem with Science diet, at all, Wellness is a local company to us here in Massachusetts, the food gets real good reviews and we met a vet, newf owner, this weekend who highly recommended Wellness and her Girl Maya was absolutely gorgeous so we are giving it a try.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2005, 01:21:57 am »
in all my research wellness was the one for my three! what you have to remember you only want your pups to eat the best well everyone has different ideas about this! our pups eat this food everyday just like kids you want them only to have what is going to help them thrive and have less health problems as there aging. Dogs just like humans don't need to eat there friends or fillers or so many other evil things dog food companies put in there food its our resonsiblity as dog owners to take the best care of our pups that we can they trust us to take care of them! marina belknap mother of 3 pups
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline NorthTXMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 06:22:00 pm »
I have had wonderful luck feeding all my Adult Mastiffs the Lamb & Rice Exceed Proffessional sold at SAMS club. $20 for 54 pounds! Ingredients are the same as Eukeneuba (almost) alittle bit high in Protein but my guys do extremely well on it. I feed my puppies IAMS large breed for slow growth, but after 8 months or so switch to the EXceed.

Terri
North Texas Mastiffs

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2006, 08:24:20 pm »
I have a new foster pup here that's going to be a big boy.  He's 3 months is 17" at the shoulder and weighs 30 lbs.  I belong to a Yahoo Group called K9 Nutrition.  Very good group if anyone wants to check it out.  Mary Straus recommends feeding a food that has the lowest ratio of calcium to calories.  One of the other members recommended this site where you can go to the Product section and take a look at the ingredients of just about every food that's sold.  http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/

I decided on the Sensible Choice for the pup.

Helen and Cayman forever in my heart
Helen and Cayman forever in my heart