Author Topic: Antibiotics and a kinda gross medical issue  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Antibiotics and a kinda gross medical issue
« on: May 08, 2006, 07:46:00 pm »
So we were back at the vet again last night for what was first diagnosed as a urinary infection.  Might not be so.  Here's the gross part.  Boo has been instances of mucous (greenish-yellow) coming out of her (and I'm assuming its the same for dogs here) vagina.  I know its still happening because I can see (after the fact) where's its dried on her leg.  She was first on Ceph-something and now the vet has put her on Clavamox, which just happens to be outrageously expensive too.  :o  So the vet says, "Well it could be a UTI or vaginitis or an internal infection."  Ok, that kinda leaves it open for a lot of stuff there.  She also wants me to try and get a "sample".  Uhhhhh....and you'd like me to do that how??  Needless to say I'm upset with the vet for leaving this wide open.  Any ideas on what else this may be?  I paid $56 for a weeks worth of antibiotics and don't want to have to keep doing that because the vet is just throwing anything out there.

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Antibiotics and a kinda gross medical issue
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:00:41 pm »
Puppy vaginitis is very common and not that big a deal. I'm not a vet or anything, but I'd guess that's what it is if you're getting discolored vaginal discharge. If she's under a year old, I wouldn't even worry about it unless it got really icky. It's a common stage for pups to go through as they develop, and they seem to get over it on their own.

Its not something they should treat then?  She's only 10 months now.  Add on to it that this is the vet I don't like in that office too. 

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »
Its not something they should treat then?  She's only 10 months now.  Add on to it that this is the vet I don't like in that office too. 

Tough to say.  Like I said, I'm not a vet, but my vet has told me not to worry about it unless it gets icky or persists for a long time.

Both Farley and Rosie had the discharge too. The vet said the same thing as what Holly mentioned. I have noticed sometimes 1-2 days then it goes away.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:07:41 pm by Icerotti »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 08:15:42 pm »
Kiah had vaginitis when she was a puppy. The vet gave me some cream stuff to up her you know what. That seemed to work for awhile. When it came back he told me to douche her. It changes the chemicals in there, so it won't keep producing the same stuff that's causing it. I know it'a very disgusting, but after that it went away. I still can't believe I did that!

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 08:26:53 pm »
Kiah had vaginitis when she was a puppy. The vet gave me some cream stuff to up her you know what. That seemed to work for awhile. When it came back he told me to douche her. It changes the chemicals in there, so it won't keep producing the same stuff that's causing it. I know it'a very disgusting, but after that it went away. I still can't believe I did that!

Oh dear lord!!  The vet mentioned in passing to wipe her down with vinegar and water but never said anything about getting in there with it :o  This has been going on for over two weeks now.  She was on the one antibiotic for over a week then she switched her to this other stuff.  Maybe after this if its still there I should just wait and see.  Being a woman I freaked when I saw that.  I almost rushed her to the gyno!!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:40 pm »
I've never had a dog with vaginitis, but my mini schnauzer developed pyometria.  Her's was what the vet called "closed" and she had no discharge, but apparently some do have a discharge.  This condition is very dangerous, but it sounds like others here have had vaginitis.  With my previous experience, I would probably be freaked out that it may be pyometria. ???
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:13:47 pm »
I've never had a dog with vaginitis, but my mini schnauzer developed pyometria.  Her's was what the vet called "closed" and she had no discharge, but apparently some do have a discharge.  This condition is very dangerous, but it sounds like others here have had vaginitis.  With my previous experience, I would probably be freaked out that it may be pyometria. ???

She's spayed so I hope its nothing like that!   I thought it was only in un-spayed females.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:54:46 pm »
Pyometria is only in unspayed dogs(female). It is an absolutly massive in ifection that can sometimes not even show up in bloodwork. I would also be concerned with the vet throwing antibiotics at this except one thing he saved Clavamox for backup. Yes it can be very expensive in these large dogs but it is a great antibiotic. The vet throwing out these other possible diagnosis is not necessarily incompetance, as much an expression of fustration at not knowing everything.

A few things if this persists, they really, really need a sample, you need to bring her back, and when you do consider asking them to take an abdominal xray. If you have to call for an appointment ask if your favorite vet can consult with this one you dislike, but try to keep the one you dislike as they know the case history and won't be going strictly off the patient notes and this case seams to be a learning experience for him?, don't take away the final. Good luck keep us updated. Tim

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:12:15 am »
Yes, it's only in unspayed dogs.  Sorry about the confusion.

She's spayed so I hope its nothing like that!   I thought it was only in un-spayed females.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 08:24:54 am »
This is gross, but it sounds like a yeast infection.  If she's been taking antibiotics, it would kill off all the beneficial bacteria that keeps yeast in check.  Maybe try giving her plain, non-fat yogurt several times a day.  That has acidopholus (sp??) and would restore the good bacteria.  At least it can't do her any harm!!

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 08:29:07 am »
This is gross, but it sounds like a yeast infection. If she's been taking antibiotics, it would kill off all the beneficial bacteria that keeps yeast in check. Maybe try giving her plain, non-fat yogurt several times a day. That has acidopholus (sp??) and would restore the good bacteria. At least it can't do her any harm!!

I think her food has that in it.  Would it be bad to add more to it?  I thought yeast infection too, but is that the same as vaginitis?  The vet never mentioned a yeast infection.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 08:42:00 am »
Vaginitis is a general term for inflammation of the vagina.  That term doesn't tell you what is causing the inflammation so that's why the vet would want you to get a sample so that it could be cultured to find the offending organism.  Does she seem to be itching there?  That is one symptom of an overgrown of yeast....

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 08:55:55 am »
Vaginitis is a general term for inflammation of the vagina.  That term doesn't tell you what is causing the inflammation so that's why the vet would want you to get a sample so that it could be cultured to find the offending organism.  Does she seem to be itching there?  That is one symptom of an overgrown of yeast....

Not really.  But she's always liked to "clean" that area a lot so I haven't noticed her doing it more.  And it doesn't appear to be red or anything.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:18:18 am »
Hmmm.  I'm not too sure then.  Maybe try adding the yogurt because it won't hurt her at all and could help....