Author Topic: Sunny's Eye  (Read 2458 times)

Offline goldenlovingknitter

• Ankle Biter
  • The Goof Troop
    • View Profile
Sunny's Eye
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:12:40 pm »
This morning when I went to let Sunny outside his eye had yellowish green goopy stuff.  I cleaned it with a warm cloth, and later it is there again.  What should I do???  I looked for scratches and didn't see any.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
Re: Sunny's Eye
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:01:55 pm »
We just had the same situation with Lucas. The vet said it was conjuctivitis and gavce us some ointment for him. It was gone by the next day!
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 02:04:27 pm »
Sunny probably has a bacterial infection so you will need to take her to the vet to get antibiotics for it.

This is exactly what happened to Zoey earlier this week! Turns out she had gotten something (a speck a dirt or something equally small) in her eye and then pawed at it and got bacteria in it. The vet tested her for scratches with a dye test. Luckily she didn't have any. He prescribed us with antibiotics and they cleared it up within a day. He also told us to buy plain saline to rinse out her eyes if we ever think there might be something in her eye (if we go somewhere sandy, if we see her paw at it, etc).
RIP former BPO

Offline Chloes mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 07:55:10 am »
I have a 13 mo old shih-poo that has been diagnosed with chronic dry eye, for KCC. SHe has had this for about 6 mo's. My vet has prescribed antibiotics, ointments, steroids, you name it. It will clear up for a while and then come back. She recently had a test to check for ocular scratches and her left eye is really bad. I have been told we could be looking at losing sight in the eye. Of course the vet wants us to see a doggy eye doctor, can't afford that. DOes anyone have any ideas for us?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:24:55 am »
UNFORTUNATELY some dogs are prone to eye problems...mos tly dogs with eyes like shih tzu's and bulldogs and the like with faces that are smooshed in like that.  your vet will know what to do and how to treat it.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 10:49:51 am »
Of course the vet wants us to see a doggy eye doctor, can't afford that. DOes anyone have any ideas for us?

Do you have a vet school/college nearby?  Here in Texas I know a lot of animals/pets with serious illnesses are treated relatively cheap at Texas A&M.
Sarah