Author Topic: Garage Sale Diva  (Read 2442 times)

doggylover

Garage Sale Diva
« on: June 30, 2006, 04:40:09 pm »
My hoytie toytie hairdresser from the 'real' salon was talking with the other hair dressers while she was doing my hair about her garage sale this weekend.  Someone made a comment about how they wished they wore her size because they wanted in on the action.  Further questions (from me) revealed that she has a 'shopping problem' and she spends all of her hair money on clothing.  Once a year, her husband makes her sell off the last year's stuff so they have room in their house for air.  Well, we are both 5'10.  She is a size 4 and I'm a 10, but I'm really small on top (picture a pear with a red colored wig).  So I got the address and went over there.  HOLY MACARONI.  Designer label stuff with tags still on them, probably 50 items of clothing, mostly this year's fashions.  I got roughly $1000.00 worth of clothes for $80.00.  AND I got a FULL bottle of Chanel #5 (the only kind I wear, and a bottle lasts me 15 years cause I only wear it on very special occasions) for $8.00.  I would have gotten more things but then we wouldn't have had food money :) hubby is understanding but he is also a bear if he is hungry!
OMG I was SOOOOOOOOOO excited.  As soon as we got home, I organized my closet and pranced for about an hour. 

OK so, what is the COOLEST thing you've EVER found at a garage sale?!?

Icerotti

Re: Garage Sale Diva
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 04:47:23 pm »
Wow you made out pretty good!!

The best thing I ever got a a garage sale was a playset with a slide for $50.oo. They are normally $300-$400. I have had it for 2 years and she still plays on it ;D

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 04:50:39 pm »
I can't think of anything in particular that's a really big steal of a deal , but I am majorly addicted to garage saleing !!!! Every Saturday , wake up early , pack the kids in the car , put a movie in for them , feed 'em pop-tarts and off we go ! LOL  ;D ;D ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 04:54:53 pm »
OH OH OH me too!  Our entire house is furnished with stuff that's been second hand given to me, or garage sale, or found on the side of the road and refurbished.  I feel like a chump paying retail for anything.  Garage sales are AWESOME.  You used to be able to get amazing deals at Goodwill around here too, but they caught on, and now they have people come in to price things.
 >:( ;D :o   

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 05:17:25 pm »
I love it when people ask me " Oooh , where'd you get that ?" and I answer "Garage sale !!!!" LOL  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:47:34 pm »
So what everyone is saying is that I am not the only person in the world that decorates their house in "Early Garage Sale".   Yea, I am fashionable and didn't even know it.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

kristi

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 06:22:48 pm »
Ooooh I do this too!
I hate to pay retail for anything.
Some of my favorite things in my house I got from garage sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

The best deals ever...
the summer before I got my apartment off campus, I went to 3 garage sales looking for furniture.

for my living/diningroom:
Table (with 2 drop leaves) $10
4 cane chairs $10
Footstool $2
Rocking chair $5
Love seat $10
Coffee table $5
TV Stand $10

for my bedroom:
Desk with chair $5
Chest of drawers $1
Nightstand $2

Everything (except the loveseat) was made of wood, so I stripped it all & painted/stained it to match.
I furnished the apartment for $55 (plus labor)! It was awesome - I still have almost all of the furniture! :D
-k.

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 05:48:54 am »
My best garage sale find was an antique (c. 1910)smokers stand made of maple with an oak inset and lined with copper.
Think a humidor for cigars and pipe tobacco with legs.
I paid six bucks for it, stripped it (it was painted white)and refinished it. Five years later a friend of my Dad's who was an antique dealer offered me a thousand for it, and that was 24 years ago.
Stella

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 07:53:01 am »
My hoytie toytie hairdresser from the 'real' salon was talking with the other hair dressers while she was doing my hair about her garage sale this weekend.  Someone made a comment about how they wished they wore her size because they wanted in on the action.  Further questions (from me) revealed that she has a 'shopping problem' and she spends all of her hair money on clothing.  Once a year, her husband makes her sell off the last year's stuff so they have room in their house for air.  Well, we are both 5'10.  She is a size 4 and I'm a 10, but I'm really small on top (picture a pear with a red colored wig).  So I got the address and went over there.  HOLY MACARONI.  Designer label stuff with tags still on them, probably 50 items of clothing, mostly this year's fashions.  I got roughly $1000.00 worth of clothes for $80.00.  AND I got a FULL bottle of Chanel #5 (the only kind I wear, and a bottle lasts me 15 years cause I only wear it on very special occasions) for $8.00.  I would have gotten more things but then we wouldn't have had food money :) hubby is understanding but he is also a bear if he is hungry!
OMG I was SOOOOOOOOOO excited.  As soon as we got home, I organized my closet and pranced for about an hour. 

OK so, what is the COOLEST thing you've EVER found at a garage sale?!?

I always believe there is a reason for everything!  See what you ended up with for getting an insanely expensive hair-do!?!?!?!  Yay for you!  I love a bargin! 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 09:21:56 am »
LOL Melissa, I got my wedding dress for $8.00, it wasn't a 'real' wedding dress, it was pale lavender, but it fit me perfectly, and I loved it :)

Stella that is AWESOME!!!!  ::plots house to Stellas to nab walking humidor::

Softhug I know!!!! Averaged out with the stupid hair, it was totally worth it!
:)

Here is the dress, the necklace came from Goodwill, and you can't see them, but the shoes were black strappy heals and I sewed glass beads on them.  As I walked down the isle, the string snapped and they went FLYING everywhere.  I was trying so hard not to laugh, I ended up jiggling and vibrating. 
PING PING PING...it was so fun.  :)
OK off to get this PUP!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 01:56:05 pm »
You looked LOVELY!  And for $8?!?!?!  EXCELLENT!   :o
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."