Author Topic: Slimey Poop  (Read 8128 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Slimey Poop
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:22:17 pm »
The other day I thought I saw something weird on Zoey's poop - it looked like it had a peice of slime on it, but I thought I was imagining it. But then today she had two accidents that were not like normal poop, but like slime. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like someone mixed a little bit of poop into a raw egg white. Dan described it as looking like a brown slug, or like brown drool.

Then she was eating a cookie just now and when I looked at her she had a little bit of foam in her mouth which really freaked me out.

She is up to date on all of her vaccines, but we all know they aren't foolproof.

What could be some possible causes of this? I am really concered and I want to take her to the vet ASAP but can't take her to the normal vet for almost a week since they are closed for the fourth of july long weekend. I want to take her to the emergency animal hospital, but Dan thinks I am overreacting. Am I? What is wrong with my baby  ???
RIP former BPO

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Slimey Poop & change in color, too!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:03:40 am »
I'm so glad I saw this post!  The past week has found Bo wtih slimy, cow pie poop.  Bo has had problems with IBS & mild Pacreatitis in the past, so I put her on boiled chicken & rice to see if it would clear up.  The past two days she's had orange (yes, orange) poop!!  No blood, but still slimy and now orange.  I did give her two rawhide "flips" yesterday, so I'm wondering if that has something to do wtih it?  I knew she was allergic to wheat (so no greenies or the like), but I didn't think rawhide would irritate her stomach.  I'll try pumpkin...any other suggestions?
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: Slimey Poop
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:07:02 am »
rawhide is died is arscnic and famaldohide... i worked at petco and they told us not to give them to dogs.....the blow up in the dogs belly...rawhid es are really bad for dogs...they are chew toys..not to be eaten...even on the package it says to chew on only, do not consume, chew toy. If you go to petco on the rawhide rack it says to take away if eating it, i know so many dogs that have had blockage due to the stuff...defini te no no for big dogs.
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 06:12:22 am »
Yeah, stupid, stupid me!!  I just talked to my vet & she said that any of that is a no-no for Bo.  I feel bad..I was just trying to give her something to chew on to help her teeth (bad tartar)!! =(  I guess my good intentions are to blame for this little set-back. 

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 06:14:55 am »
so those made in the US are good then? or just stay away?
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 06:22:54 am »
True...maybe i will consider one everyother month or so... i have seen too many dogs suffer from blockages caused by that stuff..there are other things to keep them busy anyway.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 06:31:49 am »
How on Earth do you keep a dog from ingesting a rawhide?  I've never been able to do it...they eat them up so fast.  I'm wondering if there is a product suitable for gnawing that I can give the dogs.  My problem is if they don't finish it at the same time, one tries to steal from the other and chaos ensues.  That's why I liked the rawhide strips...they both finished at the same time and had not conflict about it.  Any suggestions?

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 06:34:28 am »
hold it while they are chewing it if you are that dedicated... some dogs i know jsut chew and walk away..and come back later...I know that JaZ just chews and spits...(then again anything like greenies, or jumbone..she doesn't know she can eat so she spits them out but chews them) I think if you go with compressed rawhide you would be better... compresed meaning the rawhide molded in a bone shape... not / never the one with knots or the flips.... the flips are for tiny paws
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 08:34:28 am »
Thanks for the Merrick recommendation ...I used to give her the bully stix, but I'm not supposed to give those to her anymore.  I'm curious if people know of a good gnawing treat for dogs with IBS/Sensitive stomachs?  My vet told me not to deviate from her diet (fish/potato kibble), but sometimes I'd like to be able to treat her with something.  Floyd, our border collie mix, will eat just about anything so long as he thinks it's a treat!!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 09:45:20 am »
Have you tried raw marrow bones?  The actual marrow might be a little to rich for her stomach but you can get them with it removed I think....  we buy the big marrow soup bones at the grocery store and Sophie will chew on it for hours.

I agree with Jenn too, Merrick bones are great. They have a big knuckle bone that is not basted in anything or smoked so it is just the bone.  Its nice because it is big enough that they can not try to swallow it.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 09:47:02 am »
What about dehydrated fish?  Buy whole gutted small (6-8") fish either frozen or fresh and set them on racks in your oven.  Set at low temp (100 degrees or so) and leave them for at least 24 hrs and see how dry they are.  Depends on the thickness of the fish how long it will take.  You could also do it on the top rack of a gas grill on low  heat or on screens in a hot attic or top of a garage.  This is actually pretty common in parts of the world - catch the fish while they are plentiful and dry them to preserve them for times when they are hard to come by.  Eat them when they are dry.  Probably hard to find them to buy them dried but it isn't hard to do it yourself, just takes a little time.  You could also use a string and thread them through on the string or hang them over a string.
Daphne

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 08:21:23 am »
Dehydrated fish sounds like a great treat to give to her! Pancreatitis is not something that you really want to fool around with...take it from me, I'm still recovering from major surgery to  have almost half of my own pancreas removed nearly 4 months ago. The orange colored stool can indicate a flare up of the pancreas and the orange color is bile, nothing to worry about, it will clear itself up. However it is important to keep inflamation of the pancreas down, and when you stray outside of her regular diet the pancreas can become inflamed causing an attack of pancreatitis. The immediate problem with this is the extreme pain that accompanies an attack, but the really serious problem is that with every attck of pancreatitis  the risk of scar tissue on the pancreas gets higher, and this can lead to problems such as diabetes and insufficient production of digestive enzymes, which requires daily medication. The pancreas is a vital organ, and works the same in both dogs and humans. So take it from me, that treat you want to give her is not worth the problems that can occur. I even had to give up chinese food which is my all time favorite because it truely was not worth the damage that it created or the potential trip to the ER with full blown pancreatitis which can be deadly if severe enough. I'm one of the very lucky ones, the cause of my pancreatitis was a tumor that was successfully removed, but your pupper probably will have to live the rest of her life protected from the foods that can harm her.

Ask your vet about raw bones, but because you have her on a fish based diet I suspect that beef bones would be too rich for her (red meat is especially tough for pancreatitis and IBS). You could always do the whole teething trick and take a towel maybe wet down with chicken broth if she is able to have that and freeze it, it would help clean her teeth. Another delicious treat would be to make FAT FREE frozen cubes of yogurt and give them to her as a special treat, again if she can handle dairy, but it is usually the dairy fat that causes a problem. Goodluck! I know that it is not an easy problem to deal with, and I hope you come up with some good solutions.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey